(New) Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (6500K/RGB)??? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #31
zackariah
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

(New) Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (6500K/RGB)???

Thanks Brian for all your leg work. From the info they have provided it seem this light would work for low to medium light plants. And if coupled with another of the same or a finnex ray, etc. It should work for high light. Time to put in my order! Can't wait to see it on my tank.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #32
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Is it just me, or does that full spectrum really give some pop and depth? Wow!

Uhg, but at $110 for the 24" model... Maybe if they are ever 30% still. But I still have to upgrade my current setup to Finnex, so this will have to be a Gonna Do Someday for now.

Last edited by DefStatic; 04-17-2013 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Price
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #33
Vepr
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
Is it just me, or does that full spectrum really give some pop and depth? Wow!
In my opinion it does look best under full spectrum in person.
Vepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #34
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

So what's the scoop? How are the plants doing?
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #35
Vepr
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledGoat View Post
So what's the scoop? How are the plants doing?
Well I got tired of trimming riccia so I pulled that and put in some more DHG. I cannot stop messing with my tank...

The riccia looked good and was growing well but I got tired of trimming it every week. What a mess it made.

So I kind of sabotaged my own test but I get the feeling I was going to need the stunner strip because while still growing the riccia seemed to be less dense if that makes sense. The DHG and micro sword are doing well under the light and pearl under it. The riccia and willow moss was moved to my quarantine tank for the time being. I have shifted the light to be right on the glass at this point though so I am only about 9 to 10 inches off the substrate.

I think this light would work for low to med light plants as long as the tank is not over 12 inches deep but not carpets. Anything deeper and I think it would just be more of a display light but this is all just conjecture and opinion at this point because I have not had the light that long or done any true tests for PAR etc.
Vepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #36
dhavoc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)

just setup my 18" tester and its a neat little light. the control pretty much lets you set whatever color you prefer and i like that. it is noticably weaker than the fugeray it replaced, but i like the color output much better. i will probably supplement it with the clip on finnex i have thats white/red led and see what happens. for the controllability, the price isnt that bad, but its not a high or even a med light fixture. if they cram more leds into the same length it would be a viable planted tank fixture IMO.
dhavoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #37
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Thanks dhavoc for contributing to this thread on your experience with this fixture! Out of curiosity what size tank do you have it on? Distance plays and obvious roll on whether one or maybe even two of these would work? Or like you said, "supplement" it with additional lighting. I'm real tempted to get this fixture... we'll see
Old 05-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #38
dhavoc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

its on a mr aqua mini-L equivalent. 18" width, so the light is a perfect fit. as mentioned above, its still not powerful enough to be called a med light fixture. tank has no co2 or ferts, and has a SMS substrate. its basically a cpo tank but i want it to grow plants for aesthetic reasons. all my invert tanks are fully planted so i was hoping this would be a viable alternative to the finnex fixtures which are great, but cant grow red plants at all (not dissing finnex, i have a dozen of their fixtures and really like them). i also have a 24" mr aqua tester tank, with co2 and AS with a ray2 + monsteray combo and that is working out great. red plants are back to full red (rotala butterfly) and even marginally red plants (hygro pint.) are really red/magenta. its not just the light either, when i take it out it is really growing red. finnex should just combine the RGB leds into a ray2 and they'll sell a ton. if you can afford 2 fixtures, IMO go with a ray2/monsteray combo. youll get med/high light and the ability to grow red plants easily and pretty much anything else (tank also has erios and they are growing fine).
Old 05-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #39
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Very nice! I'd like to see the 24" mr aqua with the ray 2 + MR combo... link?

Pairing the Current Sat+ with a Finnex Ray 2 would probably be the equivalent to the Ray2/MR combo... just that the aesthetics of having two different fixtures above the tank wouldn't look so hot. I just like the ability to control the Sat+ color output. I've been in contact with Current and they told me that they're working on a white light grow fixture, something similar to Finnex Ray 2 I'm guessing, that would pair nicely with the Sat+. There's a lot of shifts going on with LED's and implementing dedicated red diodes or RGB's. I totally agree, Finnex should release a "full spectrum" LED ASAP that has a good amount of PAR + other wave lengths, not just so heavy on the blues.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #40
zackariah
Planted Member

Default Re: (New) Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (6500K/RGB)???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Very nice! I'd like to see the 24" mr aqua with the ray 2 + MR combo... link?

Pairing the Current Sat+ with a Finnex Ray 2 would probably be the equivalent to the Ray2/MR combo... just that the aesthetics of having two different fixtures above the tank wouldn't look so hot. I just like the ability to control the Sat+ color output. I've been in contact with Current and they told me that they're working on a white light grow fixture, something similar to Finnex Ray 2 I'm guessing, that would pair nicely with the Sat+. There's a lot of shifts going on with LED's and implementing dedicated red diodes or RGB's. I totally agree, Finnex should release a "full spectrum" LED ASAP that has a good amount of PAR + other wave lengths, not just so heavy on the blues.
I agree Brian/dhavoc. I got a 24" and 48" satellite in the mail yesterday. I really like that I can change how the light looks. It is sleek and I can adjust the lighting to what looks good to me based on what is in my tank. The 48" is paired with an aqueon modular that I modded to carry 4 instead on three strips. The light on that tank now is probably med-high. The other light is stand alone on a 20 gallon. If current comes out with a white plant grow lite that matches it would be great for aesthetic reasons.

Last edited by zackariah; 05-01-2013 at 04:50 PM..
zackariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 AM   #41
dhavoc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is the 45cm Mr Aqua with the ray2/monsteray combo. last one is of the hygro out of water under normal office cfl light to show how red it gets.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-02-2013, 02:58 AM   #42
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Sweet setup. So how long have they been growing under that combo of lighting? In my experience with the Ray 2 by itself, my colors eventually faded. And what's your fert dosing regimen like? I've been told to push phosphates really high, keep nitrates low, and crank up the co2. Are you dosing EI or PPS-Pro? Or what? Thanks!
Old 05-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #43
dhavoc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

only had the monsteray for 2 weeks. ray 2 has been on the tank since last November. all the red plants were pretty much green till the mray was added. no fert regimen since it is a k14 tank. I dose micros and some k every other week if I remember to, but mostly no ferts. co2 but at a VERY low dosage (single tiny bubble stream coming out of diffuser disk). almost all my tanks are setup this way with a very erratic low fert dosage if any at all.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #44
zackariah
Planted Member

Default Re: (New) Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (6500K/RGB)???

This is my 24" satellite plus on a 20 gallon. The light is on full spectrum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1367504820358.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	136658  

Old 05-07-2013, 03:02 AM   #45
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am really interested in one of these for a 12g long tank. The light would end up around 7" from the substrate, so it seems doable in a non co2 tank.

Please update with results, and thank you so much for finding it!!