(New) Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (6500K/RGB)??? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #16
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Ok, I won't lie, this has me interested...
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #17
Vepr
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
On another note... I sent Current an email regarding PAR numbers and they just got back to me after talking it over with their engineering department.

Here's the response:
The PAR value for 1 SAT+ 12" deep is 36 micromols and at 24" is at 21 micromols. We're growing HC in a 18" deep tank with 1 SAT+ and 1 SAT regular. A SAT+ and finnex will grow any plant with no problems if CO2 is available.

Best,
Current-USA

Thanks for the information. A little less PAR than I expected. I might need to add an exotic stunner strip in 8K depending on what my plants do.
Vepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #18
micheljq
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
Ok, I won't lie, this has me interested...
Same here, and the price make it affordable. I wonder what is the warranty on this fixture.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #19
zackariah
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Re: (New) Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (6500K/RGB)???

The PAR value for 1 SAT+ 12" deep is 36 micromols and at 24" is at 21 micromols. We're growing HC in a 18" deep tank with 1 SAT+ and 1 SAT regular. A SAT+ and finnex will grow any plant with no problems if CO2 is available.

Best,
Current-USA

Did they tell you what settings? I would think that because it can change colors, the par would be different based on the color setting it is in. Either way I plan on getting one for my 20 gallon. I like the idea that I can play with the light to get the exact look I want. You can't beat the price. I found it on thepetplace.com and they price match and free ship!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #20
Cricket
Algae Grower

I just bought the 18" freshwater plus yesterday! We've had one set up at the store for about a month now, super cool light. I got an employee raincheck but they were 30% off this weekend at the store, so I snagged mine for about $65.00. Lovely light, so far from what I've observed in store (it's only been a month though) everything seems good with the quality
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #21
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackariah View Post

Did they tell you what settings? I would think that because it can change colors, the par would be different based on the color setting it is in.
No they didn't. But sounds like a good question for me to ask... I'll get back to you.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #22
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
I just bought the 18" freshwater plus yesterday! We've had one set up at the store for about a month now, super cool light. I got an employee raincheck but they were 30% off this weekend at the store, so I snagged mine for about $65.00. Lovely light, so far from what I've observed in store (it's only been a month though) everything seems good with the quality
You're talking about the Current Satellite right? Not the BuildmyLED.com light?

Anyway, if it's the Current light, is it on a planted tank?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #23
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I was sitting over here, so smug after my recent purchase of a Marineland Aquatic Plant fixture... loving life with my moonlight setting and built-in timers...

now I'm suddenly jealous. This looks so freaking cool.

My only questions: what mode does it default to? ...meaning if you put this on a timer that cuts the power, does it come back on @ the previous setting? or a default setting?

I'm also a bit concerned about the PAR - seems a little sparse... but nothing that wouldn't be fixed by 2 of 'em!

At least I know what I'm getting when this Marineland light fails! (sure hope I don't accidentally drop it in the tank during my next water change...)
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #24
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Oh yeah.. I did ask about the ability to be placed on a timer. Apparently there's some memory built in so it will just turn on under the last setting. And it comes with a 1 year warranty.

Edit: the PAR numbers are sparse but in all fairness, they're pretty close to the Finnex Monster Ray's numbers.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #25
Vepr
Planted Member

Quote:
Oh yeah.. I did ask about the ability to be placed on a timer. Apparently there's some memory built in so it will just turn on under the last setting. And it comes with a 1 year warranty.

Edit: the PAR numbers are sparse but in all fairness, they're pretty close to the Finnex Monster Ray's numbers.
I can attest that it comes on under the last setting so be careful if you let your kids come up with wild variations under the the 4 different save buttons and your timer kicks off when they are having fun. Happened to me Sunday morning, little stinkers...
Old 04-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #26
Cricket
Algae Grower

Quote:
You're talking about the Current Satellite right? Not the BuildmyLED.com light?

Anyway, if it's the Current light, is it on a planted tank?
Yep, I'm talking about the Current USA light. The tank will be planted, I'm just setting it up now. The display at work is unfortunately just over fake plants, but the 18" satellite plus has 600 lumens versus a marineland double bright which has 450 and the light has a better spread than the marinelands imo. Not sure about the par values compared to other lights. But it should at least be able to pull off low light plants, which is what I'm going for.

I was looking into getting a finnex but the amazon ratings worried me (not sure if they were in the minority, being broken within weeks) but when the satellite was on sale, I decided to go for that instead.
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #27
Vepr
Planted Member

Ok some more shots playing around with the settings (complete with some hair algae I need to take care of) I did compare it to the two 13w pcls and the led is brighter than one by far but is probably not quite as bright as both of them but it seems very close.

Blue turned way up with everything else off

Green turned way up

Full on Red

Full Spectrum

Old 04-17-2013, 01:53 AM   #28
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Wow thanks for the pics! The RED is what I'm looking for! I mean, I already have the 24" Finnex Ray 2 so I would imagine this light would make a great companion light to supplement what I need. I think I'm going to give it a go!

Edit: I guess you decided to get rid of the PVC?
Old 04-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #29
Vepr
Planted Member

Quote:
Wow thanks for the pics! The RED is what I'm looking for! I mean, I already have the 24" Finnex Ray 2 so I would imagine this light would make a great companion light to supplement what I need. I think I'm going to give it a go!

Edit: I guess you decided to get rid of the PVC?
I took it off before the pictures when I was doing some tank maintenance and trimming and just put the light back up there for some quick pics but it is back in place now. I am contemplating resting the light on the glass because that would make it about 9 inches from substrate to light which has to up the PAR some but even with the PVC it is only about 10 inches.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #30
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackariah View Post

Best,
Current-USA
Did they tell you what settings? I would think that because it can change colors, the par would be different based on the color setting it is in. Either way I plan on getting one for my 20 gallon. I like the idea that I can play with the light to get the exact look I want. You can't beat the price. I found it on thepetplace.com and they price match and free ship!
So I requested that information and Current responded with, "Because most Par meters don't measure blue light, we had it on the orange setting to get the maximum Par readings."

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.