(New) Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (6500K/RGB)??? - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #151
rbtmccord
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

(New) Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (6500K/RGB)???

I was at Petsmart yesterday and saw that they carry the Aqueon T5HO lights. They has twin 24" T5 light for $60. They bulbs were their 6700K and a flora light.
That is allot of lite for the $$$$$. Actually about 28 watts total as the 24" bulbs are rated at 14 watt.
I am considering the SatPlus but I am not certain it will provide the spectrum and PAR for high level demanding plants. My tank is max 12" deep.
rbtmccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #152
krisw
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

According to this thread, PAR equates to:

Values between 10-30 are considered low light.
Values between 30-80 are considered medium light.
Values between 80-120 are considered high light.
krisw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #153
rbtmccord
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default PAR Values

That sounds great as my tanks depth to the substrate is between 10" or less. So I should be in the med-high range at the bottom.

Thanks
rbtmccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #154
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (402/100%)

krisw: I think your reminder that there are several different lighting modes for this fixture was the selling point for me.

Think I'm going to bite the bullet and order a 24" fixture for one of my 20 longs.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #155
krisw
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
krisw: I think your reminder that there are several different lighting modes for this fixture was the selling point for me.

Think I'm going to bite the bullet and order a 24" fixture for one of my 20 longs.
I had been using a TrueLumen+ with a dimmer previously, and it worked well, but it's very nice to custom tailor the colors with the Satellite+. Be sure to post your experience with the 20L.
krisw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #156
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

There's still some hesitation on my part because I'm reluctant to buy a fixture that isn't 30" long. For low light, it's between the Current fixture and a modular Aqueon fixture I've already got on-hand. Debating. Close to just buying the Current, though.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:22 PM   #157
syzygy9
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

My 24" version finally arrived and I placed it side by side with my Ray2 on my 36G (~18" from substrate). The difference is more shocking than expected in a couple of respects. Overall I'm pretty happy, but still wish they offered a 30".

The GOOD:
This fixture is so slim and sleek and because it's black it works perfectly with the black rim on my tank. It sits right on my glass top, but by pulling the legs out the full 30" tank width I can assure that it is centered and won't move around when i open the hinged front to feed the fish. The Ray2 legs only extend about an inch or 2 on either side so it just sat on top and moved around every time I fed the fish (small irk, but it was very annoying to me).

The addition of RGB is awesome. The Ray2 can grow plants like crazy and everybody who saw my tank was impressed with the quality and color of the light, but comparing side by side with the Current FW+ it is obvious that with the Ray2 everything looks a bit washed out. It's like the first time you ever saw a movie on Blu-ray. The DVD version is great but the Blu-ray adds something that you never realized was missing. I prefer the full spectrum mode, but my wife prefers the setting with a bit of red. Both look great and bring life and detail to everything in the tank.

The UNSURE:
I was purposely switching from mid light to low light, but was still pretty shocked at how low the light level appears to my eye. Based on specs I was expecting my PAR to drop from about 39 to 25, but it looks like 1/3 the light. I will let my crypts and wisteria be the judge. I've increased my photoperiod from 7hrs to 10hrs to help compensate. On the plus side the fish seem to hide way less now.

I like the lower moonlight and the sunrise settings and will likely use those regularly, but most of the others are just weird. The lightning would be a lot more cool if it were random instead of just a set loop effect. Either way, I don't see it being used much.

The BAD:
The build quality on the remote (particularly the graphic overlay) is pretty poor. Mine has dings and scratches and even a small tear and that was right out of the box. I also don't like that the IR sensor is on a separate cord. It's not a TV or stereo that you will be sitting and fiddling with for hours while sitting on the sofa. Build the IR receiver into one end of the fixture and call it a day. In this application the remote should purely be a mechanism to keep the fixture design clean. Obviously this is just my opinion though.

Last edited by syzygy9; 05-31-2013 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: more detail
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #158
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

I just got a 36". The par is definitely pretty low and i was expecting that. However, does anyone else notice that it seems darker directly under the light and brighter towards the edges of the tank? It is really quite strange lol. I have it under full spectrum and the shrimp colors are much prettier.

edit: and syzygy, maybe you got one that someone returned? Mine looks pretty new out of the box.
dasob85 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #159
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

syzygy9: Could you post photos? That would really help those interested in the fixture.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #160
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Default Re: (New) Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (6500K/RGB)???

I really like the sunrise mode too..Here's some pics in the "SUNRISE" mode. Sometimes I like to put this on hours before or after I put the lights on full blast. It has a nice rosette color that gives the colors on fish and plants a subtle glow

Old 05-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #161
syzygy9
Planted Member

Quote:
syzygy9: Could you post photos? That would really help those interested in the fixture.
I was about half-way through typing up my psuedo-review when it occurred to me that I should have taken some photos. I'll see if I can get some pics tonight.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:33 PM   #162
zackariah
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
There's still some hesitation on my part because I'm reluctant to buy a fixture that isn't 30" long. For low light, it's between the Current fixture and a modular Aqueon fixture I've already got on-hand. Debating. Close to just buying the Current, though.
I have an aqueon modular that I moded to have 4 strips instead of three. I also have two satellite+. Way happier with the current. And cheaper considering what I spent on strips for the aqueon. The aqueon was washed out. The current I can adjust to make the colors pop. Plus the aqueon LEDs don't go to the end of the fixture. The currents do. There are pics on another thread about this light that I and others posted. I will post some here when I get home.

Brian and Kris the tanks look great. Brian can we get a full spec pic?
Old 06-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #163
syzygy9
Planted Member

Quote:
Here are some pics taken this morning. The brightness difference between the fixtures seems a lot less during the day. For some reason it is more shocking at night when there are no other light sources on.

Please don't judge the scape too much. Since shutting off the CO2 my bacopas are struggling, my sword has lost half it's size and the crypts mostly melted. I've recently placed some wisteria stems wherever there was an open space. I'll figure out who goes and who stays and where after they prove they are going to survive.

Pic1 - Ray 2
Pic2 - Current Freshwater+ in Full Spectrum Mode
Pic3 - Current Freshwater+ in Mode with a bit of red

Pic2 seems to my eye to be the most color accurate though I realize these images look only subtly different. Note the difference in color of the substrate in each pic as well as the color of the single stem of Ludwigia Red Palustris right in the center. Also, the rock directly under the cardinal tetra (just right of center) in image 1 is a piece of local pinkish granite (with some algae). In images 2 and 3 you can see the hint of pink between the crypt leaf shadows, but it really looks mostly green in image 1.

Interestingly, the camera does not capture the washed out look for the Ray2 very well. When I look at the tank, instead of seeing the textured beige wall thru the tank I mostly see a green glare. This glare is present, though less, if I run the Current Freshwater+ in white LED only mode.

Hope these are of some use to somebody.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ray2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	151666  

Name:	CFP-FS.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	151674  

Name:	CFP-Rose.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	151682  

Old 06-02-2013, 02:30 AM   #164
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Ugh. Okay. I caved.

Ordering a couple of these fixtures.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:36 AM   #165
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

I'd love to hear your thoughts when you get them Jake. What length did you get? What's the tank you'll be using it on?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.