T5 or finnex?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
HUNTER
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

T5 or finnex?

Deciding of what lights to use on my 20g high. Im planning to start with plants without co2 but will consider down the road. I already have aquatic life two bulb fixture but I see that finnex led is much better. Which finnex should I get if I chose to go that route? thanks
HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

On a 20g High, i personally like the Planted+. On a separate 20g High, i have the ray II and mosnter ray and color and light is significantly brighter and more rich, as you would expect.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
HUNTER
Wannabe Guru

Ok, I assume I'm ditching the t5 since no comment was made. Now, which one would you recommend for just one finnex fixture? I don't know the difference between finnex monster ray or Finnex ray 2. Is one more brighter than the other? I'm maybe starting with low light witout Co2 but I'm sure I'll end up getting co2.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

The RAY 2 has two dense rows of 7000k ultra bright white LEDs. (Brighter)
The MonsterRay is an entire fixture comprised of RGB (Red-Green-Blue) LEDs. (More Colorful)

For the purpose of having a single fixture, i would choose the Planted+ LED which is the best of both worlds. This lamp could support your plant growth down the line when CO2 is added.

Remember, you can always elevate or shield the lights to make them dimmer but you cannot make a fixture brighter than what they are so tend to chose the former over the later.

If you wanted to stay with T5, it would work. I still use T5 lamps with a combination of Red and 6500k bulbs. This has been a great combination for plant growth and showing off livestock.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
HUNTER
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
The RAY 2 has two dense rows of 7000k ultra bright white LEDs. (Brighter)
The MonsterRay is an entire fixture comprised of RGB (Red-Green-Blue) LEDs. (More Colorful)

For the purpose of having a single fixture, i would choose the Planted+ LED which is the best of both worlds. This lamp could support your plant growth down the line when CO2 is added.

Remember, you can always elevate or shield the lights to make them dimmer but you cannot make a fixture brighter than what they are so tend to chose the former over the later.

If you wanted to stay with T5, it would work. I still use T5 lamps with a combination of Red and 6500k bulbs. This has been a great combination for plant growth and showing off livestock.
Is the planted plus same one as the fuge ray?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

no. The fugeray uses standard 7000k LEDs. The Fugeray Planted+ uses 7000k leds with Red LEDs.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
HUNTER
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
no. The fugeray uses standard 7000k LEDs. The Fugeray Planted+ uses 7000k leds with Red LEDs.
Is this the one? If not, can you send me a link where I can get one? thanks for the help

Amazon.com: Finnex FugeRay Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 24-Inch: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Finnex FugeRay Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 24-Inch: Pet Supplies

Last edited by HUNTER; 11-01-2013 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 11-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
vraev
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER View Post
Is this the one? If not, can you send me a link where I can get one? thanks for the help

Amazon.com: Finnex FugeRay Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 24-Inch: Pet Supplies
check this out...

http://www.aquavibrant.com/lighting/...d-fixture.html
vraev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #9
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Hunter, vraev has the right link to the Planted+. You wont be disappointed by this lamp. Just look at the LED layout. The LEDs were positioned efficiently across the entire board. There is even a separate switch for the Blue moon lights incase you wanted to use them at night without the white/red's on.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #10
HUNTER
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, really appreciate the help. I just hope it's not too much for low tech set up. Well, I guess that will be an excuse to get a Co2.