(New) Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (6500K/RGB)???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-16-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Question

(New) Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (6500K/RGB)???

What's up guys...

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Finnex Monster Ray RGB LED 24" to work along side my Finnex Ray 2 24" on a 26g Bow Front. I'm getting a decent amount of growth from my plants with a single Ray 2 with about 40 PAR (medium light). However, all the plants grow green. I want to boost this up a bit but just enough... I am running pressurized co2 and dosing micro/macros via PPS-Pro method.

I've been thinking of getting the Monster Ray for the extra Red spectrum but was thinking the green would be useless and the Blue would be okay. Then I got to thinking, this would be a lot easier if Finnex just made a Ray 2 with Red LED's w/ White. I think I've heard un-confirmed rumors of this somewhere?

Well, then I stumbled upon this new fixture, the Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (which the 24" version has 48x White / 24x RGB LEDs = 18 watts). I like that is mixes 2 rows of (4x) 6500K white LED to every row (2x) of RGB along its strip.

So what do you think of this fixture to work in tandem with the Ray 2 at about 18" distance from light to sub? Will I get the extra boost, especially in the red spectrum to get the plants growing better? More importantly, to get my Rotala sp. to color up? I just don't see PAR numbers on this... I do like the controller though and the ability to customize the color output -- like increase "red". The "modes" on there like cloudy day and storm or what not are gimmicky, but I don't mind them...LOL, I actually think its neat to just entertain friends! But my main purpose is to grow color in my stems! Thoughts???

More info:
http://www.current-usa.com/aquarium-...water-led-plus

^^^^

Old 04-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #2
zackariah
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Default Re: (New) Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (6500K/RGB)???

That light looks nice is there a price. I couldn't find it on the website. I too have been wondering about a monster/ray2 set up. I feel it will bring out the colors in everything in the tank. I'm sure the light from current will cost far more, but to be able to make the light any color is cool. I've seen other fixtures that have that ability for upwards of 1,000 bucks. This light looks promising hope its cost effective. As far as what one to get I guess that will depend on what you want to spend. Oh and a side note. Marinelands planted light has green LEDs in the mix and puts off crazy par. Also check out buildmyled.com they will put together what you want.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:01 AM   #3
Vepr
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I bought a current this weekend for 110 USD. I am happy with it so far, the settings are neat and my kids have been having fun with the storms etc but I have been leaving it on the more orange daylight setting although I am considering the full spectrum setting. I will get some pictures of it tomorrow and how I have it rigged over my 7 gallon.
Vepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 04:19 AM   #4
Vepr
Planted Member

Who needs sleep I will post some pics tonight...

Light setting I have it on now most of the time.

More oceanic type setting...

Controller

My ghetto PVC setup for the light until I figure out something better, actually doesn't look half bad painted in semi gloss black. I just did not want it resting right on the glass.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
zackariah
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Did you buy it from currents website? Also is that a 24"? It looks great thanks for the pics.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:27 AM   #6
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

It's on Dr. Fosters and Smith. I might try it.. I just wish PAR was available.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:33 AM   #7
Vepr
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackariah View Post
Did you buy it from currents website? Also is that a 24"? It looks great thanks for the pics.
LFS here in Atlanta had just got them in Saturday and I got the last 18" he said they sold out surprisingly fast. It measures just over 18" without the brackets.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:44 AM   #8
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Vepr - thanks for posting pictures. How would you rate the brightness? I mean, you have anything to compare it to?
Old 04-16-2013, 04:54 AM   #9
Vepr
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Vepr - thanks for posting pictures. How would you rate the brightness? I mean, you have anything to compare it to?
I have no experience with LEDs but it appears just as bright as the two fluval 13 watt pcls I had over the tank before. Here is a pic from when I had the pcls for comparison. In full spectrum I think it is actually brighter but I have been running it with more orange and yellow. I will get a shot tomorrow in full spectrum. (The following pic was taken near the end of the light phase with CO2 on and the pics of the LED was taken at night well after pearling stopped and my air pump had kicked on)

Old 04-16-2013, 04:58 AM   #10
Vepr
Planted Member

On a side note I was bummed when I first turned it on because I think it was set for moon lol. I was thinking "Really?" Until I hit the first daylight setting.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:09 AM   #11
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

So in the first pic you posted, in the 4th post, the setting you say you have it on most of the time, is that full spectrum mode? How does it look with just white and red turned all the way up? I'm thinking of pairing this with my finnex ray 2, so less white/blue would be needed i imagine.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #12
Vepr
Planted Member

Quote:
So in the first pic you posted, in the 4th post, the setting you say you have it on most of the time, is that full spectrum mode? How does it look with just white and red turned all the way up? I'm thinking of pairing this with my finnex ray 2, so less white/blue would be needed i imagine.
No that is an one of the 6 daylight presets with more orange in it. The 6500k presets are orange, blue, rose pink, white, full spectrum and purple. I have not played around with the red, or greens yet but have bumped the white up and down. I will try to take more pictures tomorrow after work.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #13
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Sweet! Please post those pics Vepr!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #14
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

On another note... I sent Current an email regarding PAR numbers and they just got back to me after talking it over with their engineering department.

Here's the response:
The PAR value for 1 SAT+ 12" deep is 36 micromols and at 24" is at 21 micromols. We're growing HC in a 18" deep tank with 1 SAT+ and 1 SAT regular. A SAT+ and finnex will grow any plant with no problems if CO2 is available.

Best,
Current-USA

Last edited by Brian_Cali77; 04-16-2013 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: typo
Brian_Cali77 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
On another note... I sent Current an email regarding PAR numbers and they just got back to me after talking it over with their engineering department.

Here's the response:
The PAR value for 1 SAT+ 12" deep is 36 micromols and at 24" is at 21 micromols. We're growing HC in a 18" deep tank with 1 SAT+ and 1 SAT regular. A SAT+ and finnex will grow any plant with no problems if CO2 is available.

Best,
Current-USA

Before you plunk down your money go to buildmyled.com and input this list of leds to see the tech results. From what I hear the staff is very helpful and have posted on this forum. see this thread 150gal tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=198196

Btw, if you want a tank that has high apparent brightness then you need to have green leds

A CRI of 98
  • 470nm Blue
  • 505nm Cyan
  • 505nm Cyan
  • 525nm Green
  • 525nm Green
  • 590nm Amber
  • 625nm Red
  • 590nm Amber

Last edited by Steve001; 04-16-2013 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: x
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.