9g Desk-top - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #31
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

You should read this article:

http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/...ed-tank-guide/

Honestly, you probably would be best off starting with a non-CO2 tank...things do grow slower, but you have much more time to respond to any problems. For your tank right now, it seems like your problems are compounding and it's getting out of control. Focus on getting your filter right like somewhat said. Keep the mollies in there to get the tank through the cycle. Your 2213 should probably be on the floor and NOT your desk (safety...). You should also read this post on maintaining your filter:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...&postcount=111

I would probably ditch the CO2 long term. If it fluctuates, you'll continue to kill shrimp and encourage algae growth.
PeterN1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #32
TopShelf_Symbiosis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytruong87 View Post
1) you do not understand how to take care shrimp
2) you use too much CO2
Harsh. Im trying my best. I might not be a shrimp expert, but this is my first tank. I have done some studying and talked with a few people in person about shrimp care. I know they are delicate creatures and sensitive to pH, temp and other adverse water parameters.

I am curious what makes you so sure I am using too much CO2? I am at less the 1 bubble per second. The CO2 comes on 2 hours before the light and turns off two hours before. And my drop checker is green.
TopShelf_Symbiosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #33
TopShelf_Symbiosis
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterN1986 View Post
You should read this article:

http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/...ed-tank-guide/

Honestly, you probably would be best off starting with a non-CO2 tank...things do grow slower, but you have much more time to respond to any problems. For your tank right now, it seems like your problems are compounding and it's getting out of control. Focus on getting your filter right like somewhat said. Keep the mollies in there to get the tank through the cycle. Your 2213 should probably be on the floor and NOT your desk (safety...). You should also read this post on maintaining your filter:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...&postcount=111

I would probably ditch the CO2 long term. If it fluctuates, you'll continue to kill shrimp and encourage algae growth.
Thanks for the reading material. In retrospect starting with a low-tech tank would have been prudent. But I already have the solenoid regulator and tank. I am going to tough it out with CO2. You can see in my last post that my bps is less than 1 and what the time cycle is like for the solenoid. And you can see in the picture that the 2213 is on the floor. An advice on keeping shrimp in a hi-tech tank? I don't plan on putting anymore in until I find an equilibrium

Nitrate and Nitrite levels are still high. I have cut back on the ferts a little. I'm thinking my filter is still going though the cycle. But this doesn't explain why the shrimp died with the finnex px360, as the 2213 was added after the shrimp massacre.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:45 AM   #34
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

tell us about your water changes, how much & how often

Aquaticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:05 AM   #35
TopShelf_Symbiosis
Algae Grower

I do a 50% water change every Sunday. I have not missed a water change yet. There have been weeks where I did a 25% change before the Sunday change. I start by turning off my filter and regulator, then I change normally into a buck. I dump the bucket and fill it with luke-warm water, and mix in a cap of seachem prime.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:09 AM   #36
UberSquid
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

That's way too much prime. You only need one ml per 10 gallons. The cap holds about five ml. Get some disposable pipettes, you can pick up a bunch online for just a few dollars, it will make life a lo5 easier iń the long run.
UberSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #37
vvDO
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

What were your water parameters prior to adding the fish and shrimp? Mainly ammonium, nitrites and nitrates. It's possible your tank was not fully cycled to begin with.
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
vvDO is offline   Reply With Quote