Native Plants and Fish
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-24-2002, 10:32 PM   #1
danpbmx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to danpbmx

Hey! i am into "native" planted aquariums,wich means i like native fish and native aquatic plants.right now i have a largemouth bass,small mouth bass,perch,walleye,black bullhead,and a bluegill.i would like the names of every native plant (anywhere from the U.S. basically) that you can think of that i could either buy or find lol...i am just very interested in basically taking a part of the lake or pond or whatever...and putting it into my tank (sarcasticly speaking ) thats what i want it to look like.also any drift wood,or some kind of natural native wood ideas would be good too, and what types of rock would be "native" too.haha sorry but im vary anal about the set up.i have been looking at rock in pet shops and have not liked anything.i have some native plants in my tank now but i dont feel like explaning what type they are,i also have some not native species attached to some large peice of root (java moss and fern ) any help would be awsome!

If you have any other native fish ideas throw them in there too,or any tank setup ideas,i would be very interested!
danpbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2002, 01:50 PM   #2
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just make sure it isn't illegal to house some of whatever you will get. Some fish are illegal to hold in captivity, so just watch out!

-Tim
Old 11-25-2002, 06:05 PM   #3
lorax
Algae Grower

do youi have to run a chiller with a tank like that?
lorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 06:19 PM   #4
Flgatorguy
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Flgatorguy Send a message via Yahoo to Flgatorguy

Personally i think it might be a good idea for you to check out the local laws in your area about housing game fish because i know that in florida it is quite illegal to house or "molest" any type of game animal including large mouth bass and brim/bluegill
Old 11-25-2002, 08:44 PM   #5
danpbmx
Algae Grower

no see,if you get these fish from breeders it is not illegal to house them,im not sure about the laws of taking them out of ponds but, im sure where i live ,Illinois, is pretty leanient
Old 11-25-2002, 08:46 PM   #6
danpbmx
Algae Grower

oh,and you dont need a chiller,i use a temp around 72 degrees,where i live it can get really hot and really cold...
Old 11-25-2002, 09:04 PM   #7
bwiser
Algae Grower

haven't looked around here myself, but, could be of some help?
just came across it messing around.
Have a nice day!
david
http://www.nanfa.org/
bwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 01:05 AM   #8
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

With all the other crap goin on this world I would hardly call that a crime...
Go for it and enjoy it...
I used to keep some small bullhead that I caught in my shiner traps..they are awesome to watch when they are young...very aggressive !

All I'll say is be cautious with what you put in your tank from ponds ... you wouldn't want to have to install a mosquito net over your bed ! :hehe::hehe:

email a photo if ya got any Buck (buckman@snet.net)
Old 11-26-2002, 03:20 AM   #9
danpbmx
Algae Grower

haha yeah i dont worry about it, im 16 and rigt now i just dont care about some stupid law,haha!!!! i actually intend to breed some fish and let them loose in some local ponds,rivers and lakes.one thing i wana do is breed the fish in the same tank with differnt fish, for example, have blue gill breed with like crappies and stuff,i want to make it as comfertable and natural for the fish that they will feel good enough to spawn, ya know...still, does anyone have any plants names!!! it would be cool to see a layout of a planetd tank and driftwood and stuff from some of you guys...im trying to get some good ideas,my tank is already going but i am just trying to get the plants growing and then i am gunna try and make it look alot better
Old 11-27-2002, 01:51 AM   #10
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

You are asking for something that this site allready gives you...

INFO and PHOTOS...

go click away and this site will provide you with all you need to know... these guys have forgotten more about planted tanks then I know !!! :P:P