CO2 Ceramic diffuser not working correctly
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 04-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
THaehn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

CO2 Ceramic diffuser not working correctly

I recently decided to go DIY CO2 injection. Everything was setup but my CO2 diffuser is not working correctly. It does not allow any bubbles out and the pressure builds up in the setup where I need to unscrew the cap of the bottle to release it. I have this model of diffuser:
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Ceramic-88g-CO2-Diffuser-Ounces/dp/B004GCO35G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Ceramic-88g-CO2-Diffuser-Ounces/dp/B004GCO35G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
I even took off the check valve because I thought that might be the issue but still no bubbles.

Is the type of diffuser my problem? I have never run CO2 into my tank before so this is all new to me. Thanks.

Tyler
THaehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
houseofcards
Suspended

PTrader: (55/100%)

Simple way to tell is just to remove the diffuser and see if bubbles are coming out of the airline hose. If yes, then the diffuser probably requires more pressure than your DIY is putting out.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
THaehn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Simple way to tell is just to remove the diffuser and see if bubbles are coming out of the airline hose. If yes, then the diffuser probably requires more pressure than your DIY is putting out.
Yes, the hose is putting out bubbles on its own.

Can anyone suggest a good diffuser to use with DIY CO2? This one clearly needs much more pressure than my setup can provide.
THaehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

The nano diffusers from Aquaticmagic work with DIY CO2. I haven't personally used them but others here have and support the claim.

Last edited by Zorfox; 04-14-2013 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: removed link
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Redtail84
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've never tried them, but I've heard great things about using a chopstick or a clean cigarette filter as a DIY CO2 diffuser
Redtail84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
DieFranz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

I'm currently using one of those Aquatic Magic ceramic diffuser with DIY and it works fine. Make sure the tubing is well sealed where it exits the bottle (I use aquarium safe silicon). I found that it takes a few hours to build up enough pressure, but once it gets going there are no problems. I might also try adding a little bit more yeast to your mixture. It may last a shorter time but should produce more pressure. If you still have no luck, you can always use a Hagen ladder diffuser, which requires no pressure and works ok (
Amazon.com: Hagen CO2 Natural Plant System Bubble Counter with Suction Cup and Tubing: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Hagen CO2 Natural Plant System Bubble Counter with Suction Cup and Tubing: Pet Supplies
)
DieFranz is online now   Reply With Quote