265 gal plant tank build has begun. - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #76
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I don't know what temperature you keep your discus in, but Amanos seem to dislike anything 80 degrees or more. Mine got that deep greenish color that definitely suggested stress.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #77
dkreef
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

My temp is around 83.5
Didnt know amanos could be sensitive to temps.
dkreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #78
dkreef
Planted Member

My temp is around 83.5
Didnt know amanos could be sensitive to temps.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #79
4Dallday
Algae Grower

You have something amazing here. Keep us posted on further developments.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
4Dallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:11 AM   #80
dkreef
Planted Member

Sure will.
So one of issue that came up is with tank being so large and discus needing frequent wc, its taking a lot of time to do weekly 80% wcs.
Main reason is the python siphon using bathroom sink faucet has low water pressure so takes a while to remove water and also to add water.
Has anyone figure out more efficient way to do wcs?
Old 06-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #81
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I use a submersible pump to take out my 50+ gallons twice per week. They are inexpensive and bigger is faster. Attach the python hose to the pump and it goes way faster than the original python method.

Do you think that two 50% changes per week would provide a more stable environment? I do two 25% changes for my altums and they seem to perk up a bit after each one, so even after 3 days they can sense a difference. Just sayin'.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:43 AM   #82
mott
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreef View Post
Sure will.
So one of issue that came up is with tank being so large and discus needing frequent wc, its taking a lot of time to do weekly 80% wcs.
Main reason is the python siphon using bathroom sink faucet has low water pressure so takes a while to remove water and also to add water.
Got a garden? Just run the hose outside, gravity should be faster than your low pressure faucet with a python.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #83
dkreef
Planted Member

I did that before. But then i need another water changer cuz the water return needs to be on sink faucet so i can match water temp of tap to tank water temp.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #84
nikonD70s
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreef View Post
Sure will.
instead of doing 80% waterchange a week. its better to do 2-3 small ones in a week. ur discus will appreciate it more. and like other said if ur tank is near a garden house outside. just use that to suck the water out and add water in. literally takes 5 min of ur time. and the rest is just hanging around till the water sucks/and fills back in. or with ur current python if ur faucet has low pressure. try sucking on it ur own. that might create a stronger suction and will suck water out quicker. but doing several small waterchange a week is a lot better then a huge one once a week.

doing several small waterchanges. u wont need to match the water of the tank.
nikonD70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #85
dkreef
Planted Member

Yea i agree that smaller frequent wc is better but lot of days, i come home so late from work and i dont wanna lift a finger.
But i am planning on doing twice a week wc 50-80%.

The water return isnt so bad, siphon is problem. So i may get a long tube and siphon using rubber siphon pumper.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #86
miwoodar
Algae Grower

The only thing slower than watching water boil is waiting for your tank to drain.

I've been running mine to the garden via a pair of garden hoses. Even with two going it is painfully slow though. At least I'm not slogging buckets anymore.

You and I seem to have gone through a similar 'to keep reefing or switch to a planted tank' dilemma. I'm glad that I finally sold my corals/fish. I had been in that niche for far too long. My wife was skeptical that a planted tank could be as cool as a reef tank. And with that, the challenge had been set.
miwoodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #87
dkreef
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwoodar View Post
The only thing slower than watching water boil is waiting for your tank to drain.

I've been running mine to the garden via a pair of garden hoses. Even with two going it is painfully slow though. At least I'm not slogging buckets anymore.

You and I seem to have gone through a similar 'to keep reefing or switch to a planted tank' dilemma. I'm glad that I finally sold my corals/fish. I had been in that niche for far too long. My wife was skeptical that a planted tank could be as cool as a reef tank. And with that, the challenge had been set.
Yes reef to planted tank. But i think it was worth it.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #88
nikonD70s
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

david, have u thought about taking out your substrate and use sand instead? would be a lot cleaner to use sand then your gravels. it wont affect your plant as much switching to sand since u have co2 going. and that way u can easily suck all the gunk out when u do a waterchange. cuz the gunk will just settle down on the bottom of your gravel now. good for plants but may be bad for your discus cuz of water quality. and overall it will brighten up your tank and making your discus more vibrant.
nikonD70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #89
dkreef
Planted Member

Yea i dont mind sand at all and maybe have gone that route if i knew back then discus was gonna be main fish. Cuz i was undecided which fish to go with, plants were priority then.
But now i cant imagine trying to remove everything out to switch substrates. Thats all plants and fish.
I do have shrimps and cories to clean the bottom. Hopefully it will be ok with discus.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #90
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Simply gorgeous!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote