crs and ph how high?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

crs and ph how high?

so i have had this same line of crs for a little over 2 years. i started them out in a tank with a ph of 7-7.5. it took several months (4 or 5) to breed. i then moved them to a lower ph tank and they did quite well for me. well i saw someting quite puzzling today. about 2 weeks ago i moved a plant from my crs tank (ph about 6.5) to a tank next to it (ph between 7 and 8) i have wild neos in. today while looking at the tank i saw something odd. a baby crs walking around. the only thing that could have happend is it got moved in there with the plant. i decided to measure the ph and low and be hold its about 8. the little guy has been in there 2 weeks an a ph of 8.

so now the question what is the highest ph you have had crs in? i can now say 8 lol. i do plan on trying a few more babies and will post a couple pics in a bit of the ph and the tank and the shrimp.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

figured i would update for any one who wanted to know how it was going. the baby is still alive and growing. the white looks good on it. ph is still about 8. i am still toying with the idea of adding another baby or 2.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

An adult crs I had as an experiment in 8ph lasted around 2 months. Less stress should be on babies. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2013, 02:30 AM   #4
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Probably could survive in higher ph's. Will it grow up to reproduce.....probably not as well as one in a lower ph
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 02:38 AM   #5
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/96%)

you should add a few more babies, so you might get a pair out of them and see if they breed.

Last edited by aluka; 05-30-2013 at 02:38 AM.. Reason: =)
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 02:39 AM   #6
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

But, if you can get them to reproduce, perhaps you can develope a line that does well in high pH for those of us that don't want to screw around with buffering substrates and RO water and all that crap, but would still like to keep CRS. I was lucky to find a breeder that breds Tigers in pH 8 so it has been an easy acclimation to my tank of pH 7.6 for them. I expect that I'll be able to keep them successfully this go around with inert substrate and tap water which makes me happy.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 02:45 AM   #7
cantsay39
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

well well.... crs needs to be lowered ph...~ i cant keep anything that goes over 7ph.. i am proud able to keep my ph at 5.9
cantsay39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #8
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

i will try to drip the few remaining babies i have over the next week and see what happens. ive had adults breed in a ph of between 7 and 7.5 but it took them quite a while to do so. then i moved them all to lower ph. only time will tell
Old 05-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

PTrader: (42/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
i will try to drip the few remaining babies i have over the next week and see what happens. ive had adults breed in a ph of between 7 and 7.5 but it took them quite a while to do so. then i moved them all to lower ph. only time will tell
Are those the CRS that you got from me? I believe that line originally came from Alpha Pro Breeders.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=338362
Lexinverts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 02:16 AM   #10
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

yep lex they came from you and never added any others to them. i mailed out most of what i had a month or so ago cause of the move in august. figured it would be better to mail out before it got really warm. got to love having close friends that can shrimp and fish sit for a couple months lol
Old 06-15-2013, 01:56 AM   #11
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

ok well i added the other crs babies to the tank with high ph and im pretty sure its got a high tds as well. since i have had ankle surgery (4-17) i have not done water changes or even top offs in the tank. its a 1.5 gal cube with some of my wild type neos what ever they are lol. i did a slow drip over about 9 hours. the water they were in was about a 6 ph and im not sure how hight but at least 8 in the tank they went into. i put them in a betta cup i had with about an 1.5 inches of their water and when full i dumped most of that back into the main tank they would be going into and dripped till the cup was full again. i released them and they have been doing quite well the last few days - week. to be honest im not sure how long they have been in the tank lol. all colors are good with solid whites to them. i will get a pic soon. it will be several months before they are old enough to breed though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.