Omg fleas >< - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 04-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #31
Amwaskom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Trifexis/comfortis are the newest ones out there and they work great. Trifexis is comfortis with a heartworm preventative in it. The thing about fleas is to know the life cycle. The eggs already in the environment will hatch about every 2 weeks so it takes a few months to get an infestation under control. The best thing to do is to continue to use monthly control on every pet in the house, whatever product you choose, and continue to use it year round even when you don't see fleas.
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #32
water-kitties
Master of shrimp whiskers

PTrader: (12/100%)

This product was a life saver for me, it is called Precor and you can put in in the carpets and such and it keeps the fleas from getting to the adult stage so you may break the life cycle. I swapped flea products on the cats, bug bombed, then precor'd the house up. It was the only thing that worked for me after months!
water-kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #33
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLove View Post
.... Also vacuuming kills fleas.
No, it only sucks the fleas into the Vac. Bag. I've seen the fleas alive and jumping when dumping the canister of my Filter Queen vac. that's why I posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
....Empty the vac. outside after each vacuuming. Store vac. in garage. (fleas in the vac can get back in the house). ..
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #34
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

Don't exterminators use special vacuums with fan blades specifically made to chop up insects? Maybe the op should get one of those.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:35 AM   #35
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Re: Omg fleas &gt;&lt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
No, it only sucks the fleas into the Vac. Bag. I've seen the fleas alive and jumping when dumping the canister of my Filter Queen vac. that's why I posted:
Oh. I've had goodluck with my kirby

And to add, the flea spray probably helped just as much. Vacuuming also causes the eggs to hatch quicker so that's why the spray/vacuum combo works good. Also on a kirby vacuum, whatever you suck up directly passes thru the suction fan. This thing is powerful.
---
I give my fish coffee

Last edited by CoffeeLove; 04-22-2013 at 05:14 AM..
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #36
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)

So I've figured out the issue

The Dog Flea medication works awesome went and bought one last go because they were so bad from the LPS and put it on him...all gone

The Cat Flea Meds is where the problem is. Those fleas didn't even blink....so now I know I need to change up the cat flea

-----

On a side note WOW at all the awesome responses here...I know where I will be going or where I will be sending someone with the same issue that I've been having.
drewsuf82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #37
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Capstar will kill all the fleas on your pets almost immediately. It's not a preventative tho - it won't stop them from coming back and it only last about a day or two (it's a pill). But it's great to give the pet immediate relief while you are busy de-fleaing the house and it's much safer than baths and dips which can be toxic. So the few times I've had a flea problem I've used Capstar first, then debugged the house & yard, used another Capstar a few days later, then followed up with a preventative product.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #38
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

You kind of have to do a little bit of every advice lol. I have a aunt last summer bring down a kitten to show me from a new litter from cats that live in her barn, and my house got fleas as a result of it. It took 2 months, and daily work to get rid of it. Just be careful using bombs, and sprays. They landed me in the hospital for 9 days. I couldnt eat or drink for 8 days. They gave me pancreatus. Biggest nightmare ever the whole ordeal was lol