Omg fleas >< - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I use Revolution on my cats and it's great. Frontline stopped working and my cats always seem to have problems with it after dosing. Revolution doesn't seem to bother them. I have 11 cats on it now.

Why are you paying for vet visit? Have they not seen your pets for awhile?

Also, make sure none of this stuff gets into your aquariums! Especially, your shrimp.
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
GreenBliss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #17
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBliss View Post
I use Revolution on my cats and it's great. Frontline stopped working and my cats always seem to have problems with it after dosing. Revolution doesn't seem to bother them. I have 11 cats on it now.

Why are you paying for vet visit? Have they not seen your pets for awhile?

Also, make sure none of this stuff gets into your aquariums! Especially, your shrimp.
That's the nice thing about Comfortis. It's oral. You give the cat or dog a pill. Just like the heartworm meds.

http://www.comfortis.com/
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #18
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4christ View Post
You could just keep them shaved and oiled , then they would just slide off .
+1... Seems like sound logic to me!

My 3 dogs get trifexis
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 03:24 AM   #19
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

Wow so many replies!!!!

I'm going to look into some of the brands and stuff you guys mentioned. There has to be something that will work

As for the vet they charge you to just walk in the door ><
drewsuf82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 04:26 AM   #20
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsuf82 View Post
Wow so many replies!!!!

I'm going to look into some of the brands and stuff you guys mentioned. There has to be something that will work

Why go to the vet for flea meds? If you do have to get your meds from a vet, is there a mobile vet near you? I've got a mobile pet med van near me, super cheap for vaccines and other meds.
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #21
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Traveling and competing with my dogs, I've had too much experience with fleas.

You have to treat the dog(s) and the environment they live in and it becomes out war. Brushing & stripping out under coat of dead fur. Flea bath, I use Sargent's Oatmeal flea & tick dog shampoo. Then frontline. Serious cleaning of the floors, daily for a 3 days after the last time the doing scratches. Empty the vac. outside after each vacuuming. Store vac. in garage. (fleas in the van can get back in the house). Wash all dog beds.

Then I use Cedarcyde on carpets, wood floors. If the dog goes on furiture I'd suggest you spray that too. I have kennel runs they get hit with Cedarcyde too.

http://www.cedarcidestore.com/catalo...88/3194699.htm

when I travel to a dog show, I try to get the dogs a flea bath before we come home as fleas can travel from dog to dog.

Those that take dogs to dog parks are at risk after the last frost each year until the 1st frost of fall.

Last edited by DogFish; 04-21-2013 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: sp
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #22
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsuf82 View Post
Wow so many replies!!!!

I would find another vet . Since my vet has seen my cats before, I can just go in and buy the flea meds any time they are open. They even help me save money on them too.
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
GreenBliss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #23
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

I've never had any luck with frontline, advantix, or some of the off brands. i've found regular baths and constant vacuuming seems to do the best. DE helps as well on the carpets a few hours before vacuuming.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #24
Margo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Fleas!!

they can also lay eggs in your curtains- so often overlooked. I found out the hard way when we had huge curtains and a constant onslaught of fleas. The shaving and oiling would work too.
Margo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #25
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Traveling and competing with my dogs, I've had too much experience with fleas.

You have to treat the dog(s) and the environment they live in and it becomes out war. Brushing & stripping out under coat of dead fur. Flea bath, I use Sargent's Oatmeal flea & tick dog shampoo. Then frontline. Serious cleaning of the floors, daily for a 3 days after the last time the doing scratches. Empty the van. outside after each vacuuming. Store van. in garage. (fleas in the van can get back in the house). Wash all dog beds.

Then I use Cedarcyde on carpets, wood floors. If the dog goes on furiture I'd suggest you spray that too. I have kennel runs they get hit with Cedarcyde too.

http://www.cedarcidestore.com/catalo...88/3194699.htm

when I travel to a dog show, I try to get the dogs a flea bath before we come home as fleas can travel from dog to dog.

Those that take dogs to dog parks are at risk after the last frost each year until the 1st frost of fall.
This is spot on. It's not enough to just treat the dogs. Once you're infested, you have to treat the yard, and the house as well as the dogs... without killing the dogs or yourself.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 02:33 AM   #26
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

We have dogs and cats and have tried numerous medications and treatments to no avail. Finally, I talked to a friend who has been living in Germany for a few years and she said fleas are practically non-existent where she lives. They don't use any chemicals, but the animals never go outside (in a condo) and they vacuum daily. So we kept our dogs in our sunroom and vacuumed twice daily for about 2 weeks, only letting them out to do their business. Sure enough, just by vacuuming up the flea eggs and keeping the dogs inside (away from the fleas outdoors), the problems went away. The fleas in the yard either died or moved on, and the ones indoors got vacuumed up.

I'm not sure if it's a european thing or what, but she says people treated her like she was dumb for wanting to treat her animals with chemicals when all it took was a thorough vacuuming.

Ever since, we vacuum the house daily and have had no problems with fleas. It's going on 3 years now with no expensive flea medications and no fleas. Vacuuming daily was a pain at first, but you work it into your routine.
Indychus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 04:20 AM   #27
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: Omg fleas &gt;&lt;

Lots of baths and lots of vacuuming. I used cheap flea killer on the carpets too. Not sure how well it actually worked but with vacuuming every other day and spraying flea killer on the carpet on days you don't vacuum worked good. Also vacuuming kills fleas.

---
I give my fish coffee
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 04:25 AM   #28
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

Coffee I just did that tonight hopefully it'll work

Indy, hmm maybe ill get that going at the end of the semester in two weeks, it's just hard right now to do that
drewsuf82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #29
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

+1 on vacuuming for fleas. In fact, I learned that from my vet when I asked him to recommend a good exterminator. Saved me money and no poisons to worry about.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #30
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
I've never had any luck with frontline, advantix, or some of the off brands.
In my experience they all work fine for general prevention if you don't have fleas, but if you have a full on infestation they do very little to help, especially if you have a neighbor with fleas that keep re-infesting your dog (you will probably never win that battle), or your yard or house is heavily infested - you'll have to treat those in addition to your dog. Something else like capstar could be used to kill adult fleas on your dog - it works REALLY well on adult fleas, in my experience most are dead within a few hours, but needs to be repeated at intervals as new ones hatch - we used this a lot when I was fostering kittens, and it's available OTC.

Flea meds are much cheaper if you don't buy them from your vet. I buy the largest size of generic frontline and one tube treats all 3 of my dogs for about $10 a month.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.