Omg fleas ><
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 04-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)

Omg fleas ><

Morning everyone, hopefully someone here will have something they can direct me to.

I have a dog and two cats, I was using Advantage and then I tried Frontline and neither are working outside of more than a few days.....

Where do I go next ? I called the vet and they said they'd just give them more frontline (3 animals x 15 bucks = 45 bucks + vet visit 100 = $145 for something that isn't helping)

I used Dawn on them last night (wow the cats were an adventure for that) and it killed most of them however this morning they are covered in little tiny ones

IDK what to do!!! I know they're suffering they're itching and I've tried all sorts of the conventional insecticides and I'm really at my wits end here I want to help them but IDK what to do next and the internet is full of go get the stuff that I've been using to no avail...

I've had these animals for 4-5 years and have NEVER seen a flea or tick until about 2 months ago

I know a ton of us have other animals so I'm hoping someone can help me beat this
drewsuf82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

il try to remember what my dog gets, its a once a month pill that does heartworms and fleas., internal parasites.. etc... its BALLER awesome

expensive but good
Old 04-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
GraphicGr8s
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)

Had the same problem with my dog. Advantage, Frontline neither worked. The vet put him on Comfortis and it's been good ever since.

At first she wanted me to treat the area he would be in in the yard. That would get super expensive with over an acre. This Comfortis works great. No. I am not a paid spokesperson. But it works.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Trifexis
Old 04-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
babydragons
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

We use revolution. That stuff is great. We used it to fight ear mites after nothing else worked. We had ear mites for 6 months. And 1 dose of this stuff nearly cleared it up.

Also if you have fleas that bad you might also want to consider attacking your floors and furniture. There are powders you can sprinkle on the carpets and floors to help stop these pesky guys. It takes a lot of work tho. I would suggest vacuuming every night and taking the extra measure of bringing thw bag outside. If possible make sure you move furniture to vacuum under them as well as vacuuming the furniture itself, especially if they have a favorite spot to sit and sleep. I have read that diatomatious earth for a pool works if you sprinkle it around. Good luck!
babydragons is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
UDGags
aka Nick

Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags

I use Trifexis for my dogs
Old 04-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
GraphicGr8s
Banned

Spread 20 Mule Team Borax on the rugs. Leave it for a few hours. then vacuum. Stuff works great. And the Borax is an ingredient in many products not just as a laundry booster

Quote:
Borax Uses
Borax has many uses on its own, plus it is an ingredient in other products. Here are some uses of borax powder and pure borax in water:

insect killer, particularly in roach killing products and as moth-preventative (10% solution on wool)
fungicide
herbicide
desiccant
laundry booster
household cleaner
Old 04-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
artresz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'm surprised the advantage has stopped working, though it makes sense, after time there is a tendency for immunity to be built up. (Especially Frontline)
You could try Capstar, and continue to use Advantage as the preventative, unless you think it's completely stopped working for you.
Revolutions isn't a bad product either, though in America you need a prescription, whenever I get it I end up just getting it from Australia.
Also, be careful not to overdose products like that, a vet shouldn't have told you to just use more... :3
Old 04-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Bushkill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Spread 20 Mule Team Borax on the rugs. Leave it for a few hours. then vacuum. Stuff works great. And the Borax is an ingredient in many products not just as a laundry booster
Similarly, dusting with Diatomaceous Earth (Pool filter suppliers) helps tremendously. DE's 100% non-toxic and some vets recommend it in food to kill some segmented worms in the digestive tract.

The tough part is interrupting the life cycle in the house. There's a possibility you're seeing multiple life cycles infesting your dog if it spends a lot of time in carpeted areas.

My daughter's cats completely infested the carpeting in her room. There were still fleas in there two months after she took her cats back to school with her last September.
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
GraphicGr8s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
Similarly, dusting with Diatomaceous Earth (Pool filter suppliers) helps tremendously. DE's 100% non-toxic and some vets recommend it in food to kill some segmented worms in the digestive tract.

The tough part is interrupting the life cycle in the house. There's a possibility you're seeing multiple life cycles infesting your dog if it spends a lot of time in carpeted areas.

My daughter's cats completely infested the carpeting in her room. There were still fleas in there two months after she took her cats back to school with her last September.
Well thank you very much. OK I actually mean that. Without sarcasm.
Hadn't heard of using it before for bug control but you prompted me to look it up. See us oldish dogs can learn new tricks.
And after reading it I would recommend the food grade DE. That is what is fed to animals not the regular pool grade stuff. As you said DE is non toxic. It's the other stuff mixed in that can harm you.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Our cats were on Comfortis for quite awhile no problems. When we moved to an apartment where they didn't go outside much so we decided to try Frontline. About two months later we noticed fleas inside. We put them back on Comfortis and asked the vet for a good exterminator to rid the apartment. He laughed and asked if we had a vacuum cleaner. Apparently, THOROUGHLY vacuuming at least once a day for a couple of weeks does work. No more fleas anywhere.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
gene4christ
Planted Member

You could just keep them shaved and oiled , then they would just slide off .
gene4christ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
Bushkill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Well thank you very much. OK I actually mean that. Without sarcasm.
Hadn't heard of using it before for bug control but you prompted me to look it up. See us oldish dogs can learn new tricks.
And after reading it I would recommend the food grade DE. That is what is fed to animals not the regular pool grade stuff. As you said DE is non toxic. It's the other stuff mixed in that can harm you.
Well, I probably qualify as an officially old dog, lol! My daughter was the one who researched the DE in food, and thank you for bring up the food grade point, I forgot that.
We have issues with what seems like hundreds of different varieties of ants, and it works well there too.
Even in the garden.... Last year I read that DE dusted on cabbage family plants keeps woodchucks away.........after they devoured half of the brussels sprouts. But I manage to save the other half, lol!
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
GraphicGr8s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
Well, I probably qualify as an officially old dog, lol! My daughter was the one who researched the DE in food, and thank you for bring up the food grade point, I forgot that.
We have issues with what seems like hundreds of different varieties of ants, and it works well there too.
Even in the garden.... Last year I read that DE dusted on cabbage family plants keeps woodchucks away.........after they devoured half of the brussels sprouts. But I manage to save the other half, lol!
I'd have let them have the entire crop of BS. Then again I wouldn't have planted them in the first place. Nor the last. In fact I'd never plant them. (The obligatory emoticon should be inserted here but I refuse)

Now you have me thinking though about my own garden and DE.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Amazon.com: Virbac Knockout E.S. Flea/Tick Spray: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Virbac Knockout E.S. Flea/Tick Spray: Pet Supplies

After my cat became allergic to Frontline (fun, FUN times....not.) I put both my cats on advantage and haven't had a problem since. We bombed and bombed and BOMBED our house to get rid of them and they still survived! I was at my wits end when my vet recommended Knockout spray and voila! Fleas were gone! Amazing stuff, only had to use it the once. Haven't had a problem with fleas ever since, it's been 3 years now. Now if I could just get the damn bed bugs out of my house, life would be great! :/
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.