EI Dosing Regimen???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 05-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
mad921
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)

EI Dosing Regimen???

Been reading through some threads touching on the EI dosing regimen and eluding to a sticky somewhere and was interested in reading up on it. I can't seem to find it though. Can anyone point me in the right direction???

Thanks!
mad921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
tazcrash69
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

here's the Sticky. EI Dosing
It's in the water Parameters section

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

Last edited by tazcrash69; 05-02-2006 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: fix link
tazcrash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
mad921
Algae Grower

Thanks for the link. Does anyone know how the dosing of Nitrate, Potassium, and Phosphate in the EI regimen translates to the ratios in Flourish??? I have a bunch that I'd prefer to use up.

My dosing for my 75 gallon (2.9 WPG, 30 PPM CO2) has been:

M, W, F: 5 ml Flourish, 12.5 ml Flourish Potassium
T, Th, S: 12 ml Flourish Trace, 2 ml Flourish Iron

Flourish Nitrogen on M, W, and F as needed to keep the levels in the 10-15 PPM range (usually not much).

25% WC once a week with 1.5 tbsp Flourish Equilibrium (GH of the tap water is 2 degrees) and Seachem Alkaline Buffer added.

Last edited by mad921; 05-08-2006 at 03:43 AM..
Old 05-05-2006, 04:34 AM   #4
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Mad, I'd bail on the Seachem Potassium as soon as the bottle wears out. I add 1.5 teaspoons of potassium sulfate (dry powder) to ~50 gallons of change water. You'll save a lot of money buying the dry powder ferts from Greg Watson at the PMDD store. Like $2.00 for a one lb. baggie of the K which will last you a LONG time. The Seachem stuff is mostly water and ridiculously diluted. Not true on the Seachem Iron or Flourish. They are fine, though many prefer CSM+B+Fe or Tropica's TMG for traces. I still use the Seachem Iron cause I like it. Greg Watson also sells the CSM+B and everything else you need. He is a fellow hobbiest and does it as a service to the community. He's a hotelier in Iowa. Rex Grigg's site has all the info on dosing at RexGrigg.com

For the GH here is some info too. You can buy a 13 oz. bag at Lowes hardware for about a buck of Calcium Chloride. Its a bag used for Dehumidifiers called DriZAir. And the other component for the GH is of course MG (Epsom salts) available at any drugstore. Here are some dosing possibilities. I have near RO water so to raise a 50G tank of change water by 4dgh with a 4:1 ca:mg ratio I add 15.9 grams of CaCl2 and 6.7 grams of Mgso4 (Epsom). Of course one needs a gram scale to do this. I use a little shot glass on my scale.
Lastly, you may be a little heavy on the traces. Not really bad, but enough to watch out. The iron looks about right to me. My fish food and waste primarily take care of NO3 and PO4, but YMMV. HTH. bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:11 AM   #5
mad921
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
Mad, I'd bail on the Seachem Potassium as soon as the bottle wears out. I add 1.5 teaspoons of potassium sulfate (dry powder) to ~50 gallons of change water. You'll save a lot of money buying the dry powder ferts from Greg Watson at the PMDD store. Like $2.00 for a one lb. baggie of the K which will last you a LONG time. The Seachem stuff is mostly water and ridiculously diluted. Not true on the Seachem Iron or Flourish. They are fine, though many prefer CSM+B+Fe or Tropica's TMG for traces. I still use the Seachem Iron cause I like it. Greg Watson also sells the CSM+B and everything else you need. He is a fellow hobbiest and does it as a service to the community. He's a hotelier in Iowa. Rex Grigg's site has all the info on dosing at RexGrigg.com

For the GH here is some info too. You can buy a 13 oz. bag at Lowes hardware for about a buck of Calcium Chloride. Its a bag used for Dehumidifiers called DriZAir. And the other component for the GH is of course MG (Epsom salts) available at any drugstore. Here are some dosing possibilities. I have near RO water so to raise a 50G tank of change water by 4dgh with a 4:1 ca:mg ratio I add 15.9 grams of CaCl2 and 6.7 grams of Mgso4 (Epsom). Of course one needs a gram scale to do this. I use a little shot glass on my scale.
Lastly, you may be a little heavy on the traces. Not really bad, but enough to watch out. The iron looks about right to me. My fish food and waste primarily take care of NO3 and PO4, but YMMV. HTH. bob
Just saw this. Thanks for the reply Bob. Just ordered the dry potassium sulfate from Greg Watson's site. I also ordered some Master Grow since I was running low on Flourish Trace anyway and it seems to be much more highly recommended.

Far as dosing the Master Grow goes...given my current dosing of traces, how much should I use (noticed that they recommend a half dose for a period of time, but I assume it's intended for those who haven't been dosing traces)? Should I use it times a week in smaller doses like I have been with the Flourish stuff? Also, I noticed that it had iron in it (unlike the Flourish)...should I still continue to dose the iron along with it (maybe 1 ml instead of 2)????
Old 05-08-2006, 03:38 AM   #6
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

TMG By Tropica? I really don't know as I have never used it but I have heard its great too. But lots of folks have so I would post a query in general and you ought to have an answer within a day. I'd be curious to read what they say as I might try that next time, though I have a lot of CSM + B which works well too.

Regards the iron, I would experiment, maybe lowering like you suggested and if the plants look a little pale, just up the dose till they look nice and green.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:51 AM   #7
mad921
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
TMG By Tropica? I really don't know as I have never used it but I have heard its great too. But lots of folks have so I would post a query in general and you ought to have an answer within a day. I'd be curious to read what they say as I might try that next time, though I have a lot of CSM + B which works well too.

Regards the iron, I would experiment, maybe lowering like you suggested and if the plants look a little pale, just up the dose till they look nice and green.
Thanks, just posted another thread.