Columnaris, I think. - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #16
Vin
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Soooo

Not to self promote my thread too much but...

The symptoms (white spot on mouths) have not diminished much further. I am changing water every 2 days (40%).

I'm thinking of continuing during the week end and if nothing changes do the kanamycin + furan 2 treatment.

Two questions:

What would you guys do? I'd love some advice.

And does furan-2 harm our plants? I have read contradicting information on that subject. Anyone have any experience using it in a well planted tank?

Thanks !
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #17
Vin
Planted Member

So last question...

Is it possible the white on my fish's mouth is a scar and they just need time to heal?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #18
BarbH
Planted Member

Default Re: Columnaris, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
So last question...

Is it possible the white on my fish's mouth is a scar and they just need time to heal?
Have any other fish developed any new symptoms? Also the fish that have been affected has there been any changes in their symptoms, getting worse or better? From how you describe it, it makes me think that it is not scaring, but it is possible that it could be a fungal infection from an injury? From people that I have seen that have had columnaris in their tanks it seems to be a pretty quick killer. If it was my tank I would give the tank and fish a break from the medications if nothing seems to be getting worse. What I would do is make sure that the water is kept in pristine shape, if it is a infection from an injury a lot of times it can heal on it's own if the water is kept clean. Sorry to hear that things don't seem to be getting better, it can be very frustrating. During my short time in saltwater I had a Kole tang that had gotten sick while I was quarantining it, could not figure out what was wrong with it. Hope things improve with your fish.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #19
Vin
Planted Member

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

The symptoms seem to have dimished a bit but I might be biased in my perception of things. But if they are diminishing its very very slow. Also all the transparent "things" that i talked about earlier in my post have almost disappeared.

It has been more than a week with just regular water changes (about 40 % every two days or 25% every day depending on what i manage according to my schedule). My reflex is to continue like this.

My fear is that I never see any improvement and it is stopping me from stocking my tank correctly.

If it was injury it would be on several fish and it appeared a week after their introduction. I don't see what kind of injury can cause this? Keep in mind that the symptoms have been present for about 6 weeks now.

I agree with the assumption that columnaris act quickly normally. Except in one of the articles i read and posted earlier it says some strains are slower. This slow ? I don't know.

I'm just having some difficulty assessing what this is.

Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.