Columnaris, I think.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Vin
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Columnaris, I think.

Hi everyone !

I'm totally new to this forum though i have read it in the past. I subscribed recently to share my problems with you since I'm looking for more sources of help/info as I kinda hit a wall.

Summary:

I have a 33g tank. Running since the 7th of february. I added 7 Harlequin Rasboras (Trigonostigma heteromorpha) as my first fish around the 11th of march. About a month after starting my tank, which has been planted since day 1.

Around a week later i notice a little bit of white on one of my fish's mouth. I do some research. I end up going to my LFS and doing a 1 week PImafix treatment.

After a week it was still there and some other fish started to show discolouration on their mouths. I continued treating with Pimafix for another week. Obviously nothing changed. This is also where i noticed some transparent "things" latched on my tank glass, plants and wood. They kinda move with the current and seem to be latched on with a kinda tail. They are very small its hard to tell.

I started doing more in depth research and found these:

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/column...d...-1689.html

HTML Code:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/columnaris_disease.php

So i was aiming for an antibiotic treatment. Someone suggested Paraguard before possibly destroying my cycle. So i treated with Paraguard for 5 days. Nothing happened.

Now my fish have been sick for 3 weeks. By sick I mean some show white spots on their mouths. They have all their colors, swim normally, eat normally. I'm thinking I have one of the less violent strains of Columnaris. I get my hands on some Kanaplex. I do a 6 day treatment (recommended 3 doses max). Nothing changed.

I'm wondering, am I wrong? maybe this is NOT Columnaris? if not then what is it....
I mean, these fish have had these white mouths for a month with no change in behaviour or even evolution of the symptoms themselves since their apparition.
Is it possible the transparent "things" are not masses of bacteria attached so decor and glass such as suggested in the first article i posted in this thread?

Here are pictures of the transparent "things", if they seem brownish is cause of mulm stuck on them during a water change, I assure you of their transparency:

What I'm doing now.

Just finished the Kanaplex treatment so I'm changing a good amount of water. Running carbon in the filter for 24 hours. Then I am just gonna change water everyday for a couple of days see how it goes.
If nothing changed, I ordered more Kanaplex and Furan-2 online. Their combined use will be the next line of treatment.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! And sorry for the long post.

Once i settle the score with this problem I will start a thread to present my tank to you guys and all my plans. Everything is kind of on hold for now.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
BarbH
Planted Member

Default Re: Columnaris, I think.

Do you have any pictures of the fish? Also what are your water parameters? Before starting treatments what has your water change schedule been like, how often and how much?

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:19 AM   #3
Vin
Planted Member

Pictures of the fish are hard but it looks exactly like this (except on harlequin rasboras):

Parameters:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
NItrates = 10ppm
PH = 7,6
Keeping water around 26 C thats...roughly 78-79 F

Before treatments is hard to say what my maintenance was because i juste started my tank. I did not change any water during the cycle. Did a 20 % water change after 1 month. Then added the fish. 5 days later they got sick. 25% water change. Pimafix 3 days then 15 % water change 4 more days then 40% water change. Same thing second week of pimafix. Then Paraguard treatment no water changes for 5 days then 40% when it was over. During Kanaplex treatment i would change 15 % before each dose.

I hope that answers your questions! dont hesitate to ask more

thanks for your reply!

Last edited by Vin; 04-12-2013 at 02:57 AM.. Reason: Forgot temperature
Old 04-12-2013, 04:07 AM   #4
BarbH
Planted Member

Sounds like it could possibly be columnaris. It is a type of bacterial infection which warmer temps will make it worse. First thing I would advise is lowering the temp on your tank. You will want to do this gradually, rasboras will be fine in temps as low as 70 degrees fahrenheit. From the forum that I use when dealing with diseases some of the medications that you might want to try using are as follows. Maracyn I and II, Kanacyn, Terramycin, Acriflavine, Furan, and copper sulfate. Copper sulfate you will not want to use in the tank if you have scaleless fish such as cories or loaches, invertebrates, snails or shrimp. As for the other medications you will need to check them out. Also I am not familiar with what these medications might do to your cycle. If possible you might want to consider setting up a hospital tank, a bare bottom 10 gallon would work well. Don't know if this is the same type of info that you have come across, but hopefully it will be of some help.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
Vin
Planted Member

Pretty much sums up what I have come across. The next line of treatment would be kanamycin with furan-2.

I don't have a hospital tank unfortunatly and either way, according to the articles I posted Columnaris could live in the water column for 30 days. Basically its everywhere in the tank especially if those tranparent things are masses of bacteria...

Thank you !
Old 04-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Vin
Planted Member

So I just recieved Furan-2 and Kanaplex in the mail.

I was thinking of just letting the tank relax a bit for a couple of days with some good water changes see what happens.

If nothing changes ill treat with both antibiotics this week.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

While you are doing the water changes, do a thorough cleaning of the tank, too.

Many medications will latch onto almost any organic matter in the tank, and will be wasted. If there is less 'stuff' for them to latch onto, then they will end up on the diseased part of the fish in higher concentration, and there is a better chance of them helping the fish.

Look into how you can use Kanamycin in food. If the fish will eat medicated food this is a very good way to treat fish diseases.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

if it is columnaris, then you need kanamycin, as diana stated. or at least sulfathiozole. minocycline wont be enough.
salt will also help. flexibacter (the bacteria that causes columnaris) has a particularly low tolerance for salt, so the usual dose will slow down its progression. this is one of the few instances of bacterial infection where i will actually bother with salt.
also, dont turn up the heat. flexibacter does BEST at 78-85 degrees. some people actually advise lowering the temp, but i say keep it wherever it normally is
Old 04-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #9
Warlock
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

the little white things.. covering every thing.. to me.. is PLANERIA>.

harmless to fish..

caused by feeding too much.. cut back the amount of food feed.. thus less leftovers..
wipe the glass, do some water changes.. and it will go away..
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:18 AM   #10
Vin
Planted Member

I have done a full Kanaplex treatment, that is Kanamycin.

If you say it is Planeria... I will build a church in your name.

So I may NOT have Columnaris?!

daaaaaammmmnnnnnn....
Old 04-14-2013, 02:43 AM   #11
Warlock
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I have done a full Kanaplex treatment, that is Kanamycin.

If you say it is Planeria... I will build a church in your name.

So I may NOT have Columnaris?!

daaaaaammmmnnnnnn....
i am only address the white things you see.. that are pretty small.. and wiggle.. yes/?
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:07 AM   #12
Vin
Planted Member

They look like very small squareish things attached to the glass by tiny threads. And they move with the current. They are not like those tiny worm thingies that can appear.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
Vin
Planted Member

This morning for the first time in a month I can say that i see some improvement in the symptoms on my fish.

Just to recap.

Tuesday the kanaplex treatment ended.

Water change on wednesday.

Water change + carbon on friday.

Smaller water change saturday.

Gonna take out carbon and do another water change today (sunday).

I just hope its not the bacteria weakening from the antibiotics and slowly developing a resistance to come back and nuke my tank...

Time will tell...
Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
BarbH
Planted Member

Glad to hear that it seems like things are improving. Hopefully your fish continue to improve.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
Vin
Planted Member

Yeah me too.

Just hope its not one of those calm before the storm kinda thing.