I think I was an over-entitled line-crossing customer... - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 04-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #16
GlennR
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Most grocery stores around here have a 200% guarantee.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #17
Public Alias
Algae Grower

Quote:
Sorry but I am laughing at the thought of someone arguing over why they should get more bacon (not you but just in a random scenario).

Good for you for apologizing. Now they'll think twice before giving you bad bacon!
Hah, I can definitely see the humor there. Really though, bacon is a serious matter :P

Quote:
we all do things that when given a second thought realize was perhaps not the best decision to have made.

Public, good on you for calling and apologizing. I probably would've never stepped foot in there again haha
I hear that. And thank you. Well it will probably be a while before I go back to that particular branch.

Quote:
Huh, I have never seen that around here.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #18
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I would've been happy as long as I received the bacon I paid for. Still it's nice when they give you extra. I don't think demanding extra is a good practice but 99% of the time a good business will offer something to compensate for the inconvenience.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #19
Sluggo
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Same where I live. Double refund if meat doesn't last until the "sell by" date.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #20
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public Alias View Post
I bought a pound of bacon yesterday from the glass case in my local supermarket's butcher's department. I went straight home and It was properly refrigerated. Today I open the bacon for the first time and it has green fuzzy mold growing on it.

I brought the bacon back to the supermarket and showed it to the worker at the customer service counter. I told her I just want to get more bacon I don't need a refund, so she sent me back to the butcher to get more bacon.

When I went back to the butcher's department I thought "Heck, I should get an extra half pound. After all bacon bought yesterday should not go moldy today. I had to burn the gas and take the time to drive back and return it. Courtesy bacon is due." So asked for a pound and a half when they packed it up for me.

So I brought my bacon plus one extra 1/2 pound back to the counter and the girl said it has to be the same amount. I said I think I should get a little extra because this was an inconvenience. I wasn't mean, and I kept my tone friendly throughout the entire transaction. The store manager came over and reluctantly agreed to let me just have the extra half pound.

I think I crossed the line. I'm not sure, but driving home at first I thought "Good for me. That was inconvenient so I was assertive, stuck up for myself and got a little something extra for my trouble." Then I just felt guilty the more I thought about it. I think I was unreasonable to just take the extra half pound and act like I deserved it. Honest opinions?
A perfect illustration of the entitlement mentality that's pervasive in today's society. You're owed something for nothing.
Jeff5614 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #21
Kimberly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
A perfect illustration of the entitlement mentality that's pervasive in today's society. You're owed something for nothing.
I agree that many people today have this mind set. But I think that business is not the way it use to be either. There use to be a loyalty to customers, if the store messed something up they tried to make up for the inconvenience they put upon their customers.

And I would consider this a very serious topic, if anything got between me n my bacon, watch out!!
Kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:48 AM   #22
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post
I agree that many people today have this mind set. But I think that business is not the way it use to be either. There use to be a loyalty to customers, if the store messed something up they tried to make up for the inconvenience they put upon their customers.

And I would consider this a very serious topic, if anything got between me n my bacon, watch out!!
Agreed, well about businesses anyway. I'm not much of a bacon fan, lol.
Jeff5614 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #23
babydragons
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

I work in a restaurant. And let me tell you ome of the nicest people do the rudest things over food. I've pretty much seen it all. Men twice me size (I'm a 5 foot girl) have screamed in my face and women have sagged fingers at me because the cook cooked their food wrong. And when I pack to go food people call back and say they never got things that I know I put in there. I have even had someone bring a very large bug in to plant in their salad for a free meal. I'm not going to lie, when I read your first post my first thought was "oh one of those people."

6 years I have worked at the same restaurant and not one of these people have apologized me to afterwards. I want to say you are a great person for this. It takes a lot to admit you were wrong. It says a lot about your character. Im sure that manager really appreciated the apology.
babydragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:43 AM   #24
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
and the customer is not always right. I hate that saying because all it does is breed entitlement.
This is the most accurate statement in this thread imo.

Big chain stores can easily afford 200% gaurantee, heck they know they are getting duped and don't care because the volume they do makes up for all the extra compensation.

And of course the quality they sell reflects that.

Small business cannot afford such costs.
--Small business shouldn't be expected to.
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #25
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

A few errors in Retail Etiquette:

The customer service person should have apologized. Next she should of asked if you'd like refund or replacement bacon making those options clear.

Food goes bad sometimes in the best or markets, it's an inherent risk. Are you really entitled to "pain & suffering" for Green Bacon, I tend to think not. I feel this falls under "Poo-Poo happens" sometimes.

If green bacon was so morally offensive, you should have informed her of your emotional distress thus affording her an opportunity to make you whole again by either offering you additional bacon as compensation pain & suffering or referred you to a management person empowered with the authority to approve additional bacon. I think it goes without saying that the stores best interest would be served by not creating a pork product incident that would inevitably reach a world wide audience on a aquatic plant hobbyist website.

You breached established retail protocol by not expressing the full extent of the drama you experienced due to the green bacon in question. That was complicated by your assumption that 50% additional bacon would resolved the matter without acceptance of terms by the markets representative.

It's sad state of affairs when such total breakdown in protocol occurs. Hopefully lessons were learned.

Had I been in this situtation, I think I would have taken the bacon to the service desk and asked for the manager. I would have told him I bought this the day before and show him the offending bacon and state, "I can not eat this Sam I am!"

Last edited by DogFish; 04-12-2013 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: sp
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:50 AM   #26
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

PTrader: (3/100%)

You probably over-reached a little. But remember...we're talking about bacon here. Temporary insanity applies.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #27
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Corporate America... You should of recieved a refund along with your bacon plus half an extra lbs for free! If they argued back mention you want the DM's number or want to talk to the DM. That will get you a refund, free bacon, and a gift card! Corporate retail gotta love it!

The customers are usually pains so are the clerks. It's a never ending battle when you trying to please someone!
+1 on dogfish comment

Baby dragon I know exactly what you mean. I did the restaurant business for a while and hate it! Great money though

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda

Last edited by dtejeda.arias; 04-12-2013 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: Added a statement
dtejeda.arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #28
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtejeda.arias View Post
Corporate America... You should of recieved a refund along with your bacon plus half an extra lbs for free! If they argued back mention you want the DM's number or want to talk to the DM. That will get you a refund, free bacon, and a gift card! Corporate retail gotta love it!

The customers are usually pains so are the clerks. It's a never ending battle when you trying to please someone!
+1 on dogfish comment

Baby dragon I know exactly what you mean. I did the restaurant business for a while and hate it! Great money though
I really hope that statement was in jest.... If not then you are exactly the definition of entitled.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #29
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtejeda.arias View Post
And prices on the products we buy increase partly because of people like this...always after something for nothing.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:48 AM   #30
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
And prices on the products we buy increase partly because of people like this...always after something for nothing.
I doubt that this sort of thing even makes up for .1% of price increases. For every 1/2 lb of bacon 'given' away there are many pounds thrown away for being expired or going bad, or just some human error.

The loss of free stuff is at cost not retail.

CEO salaries also continue to increase and their bonuses are worth a lot of bacon.
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote