I think I was an over-entitled line-crossing customer...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 04-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Public Alias
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think I was an over-entitled line-crossing customer...

I bought a pound of bacon yesterday from the glass case in my local supermarket's butcher's department. I went straight home and It was properly refrigerated. Today I open the bacon for the first time and it has green fuzzy mold growing on it.

I brought the bacon back to the supermarket and showed it to the worker at the customer service counter. I told her I just want to get more bacon I don't need a refund, so she sent me back to the butcher to get more bacon.

When I went back to the butcher's department I thought "Heck, I should get an extra half pound. After all bacon bought yesterday should not go moldy today. I had to burn the gas and take the time to drive back and return it. Courtesy bacon is due." So asked for a pound and a half when they packed it up for me.

So I brought my bacon plus one extra 1/2 pound back to the counter and the girl said it has to be the same amount. I said I think I should get a little extra because this was an inconvenience. I wasn't mean, and I kept my tone friendly throughout the entire transaction. The store manager came over and reluctantly agreed to let me just have the extra half pound.

I think I crossed the line. I'm not sure, but driving home at first I thought "Good for me. That was inconvenient so I was assertive, stuck up for myself and got a little something extra for my trouble." Then I just felt guilty the more I thought about it. I think I was unreasonable to just take the extra half pound and act like I deserved it. Honest opinions?

Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

should've asked first.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Public Alias
Algae Grower

Yeah that would have been more polite. Good point.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Don't feel guilty. Stew Leonards in CT gave me bad salmon. When I got home it smelled so bad and it was slimy. YUCK. I went back and complained. The fish counter gave me an extra pound of salmon as way to say sorry. That's good customer service. Stew leonards moto.....1. The customer is always right. 2. when the customer is wrong refer to #1.
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

i prefer to ask

but either way im in the CS industry and i gotta tell you, when customers demand things it immediately makes me want to help them less, than when they ask for it, and work with me through the problem
Old 04-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Re: I think I was an over-entitled line-crossing customer...

You do anything wrong? No, asking first would have gone a long way, who knows maybe they would have given you an extra pound :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Not asking for the extra and just taking it is a great way to receive poor service in the future. Being assertive and taking advantage of someone attempting to right a wrong are two very different things. If you had just asked they likely would have been more than willing to oblige you; pulling something like this means they'll remember you as that the type of person who is just out to take. I know that personally I would no longer be willing to go out of my way to help you.
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I don't think you deserved an extra half pound, but maybe thats just me. You got your bacon exchanged and honestly not all places would do that because you have no way to prove you didn't just let it sit on the counter. Yes its an inconvenience to drive back to the store but ish happens. I also used to work in CS when I was in college, and I never went out of my way to help customers that were demanding and felt entitled.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajacobs View Post
Don't feel guilty. Stew Leonards in CT gave me bad salmon. When I got home it smelled so bad and it was slimy. YUCK. I went back and complained. The fish counter gave me an extra pound of salmon as way to say sorry. That's good customer service. Stew leonards moto.....1. The customer is always right. 2. when the customer is wrong refer to #1.
the difference is that stew leonards gave you the extra meat, while OP took the extra meat then complained that he deserved it.

totally different, he should feel guilty.

and the customer is not always right. I hate that saying because all it does is breed entitlement.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
Public Alias
Algae Grower

All fair points and I appreciate the honest opinions. Guess I got caught up in the moment - really should have thought "What would I actually think is reasonable if I was behind the counter."

While I still think something extra as a little "sorry for the inconvenience" - like in Sajacobs situation - would have been appropriate, I should have requested it instead of just taking it and seeing what happens from there.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Offering/giving an extra half pound is good customer service. Taking/demanding an extra half pound is a poor customer...IMO.

If I was a manager and was asked, I'd probably say yeah, that's fair. If I was a manager and it was demanded by a customer...I'd tell them to take a flying leap.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Public Alias - I think your honesty and humility speak volumes. It sounds like you got caught up in the moment and later had 2nd thoughts about it. That is what is important.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
Public Alias
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
Public Alias - I think your honesty and humility speak volumes. It sounds like you got caught up in the moment and later had 2nd thoughts about it. That is what is important.
Those are kind words and I appreciate them. I just called and talked to the manager. I told him I feel like it was rude to just take the extra meat to the service counter and expect to be given it, and that I wish I had brought up the idea first. If that doesn't make it all better I understand, he might see me next time and think "great... the courtesy bacon guy" and that is his right.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
i agree with this 100%

we all do things that when given a second thought realize was perhaps not the best decision to have made.

Public, good on you for calling and apologizing. I probably would've never stepped foot in there again haha
Old 04-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #15
FisheriesOmen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Sorry but I am laughing at the thought of someone arguing over why they should get more bacon (not you but just in a random scenario).

Good for you for apologizing. Now they'll think twice before giving you bad bacon!
The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
FisheriesOmen is offline   Reply With Quote