Eric's Rimless 20g Build
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
EAndrews
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 34
Default

Eric's Rimless 20g Build


So a few months ago I was talking to a guy about aquaponics and became very interested back to freshwater setups... I still maintain a 90g corner bow front mixed reef however we wanted something green and nice for our kitchen area. I am not rushing it because I want it to be done right and all plants thriving with livestock when we are on the way... You can see my reef tank success in my first post on the forum under introductions

I am starting by pulling the support lip off a 20g long I had in the garage and building a DIY CO2 2 liter setup with some heavy duty bottles and a little yeast, sugar, and baking soda. It is going to be used so I can do higher spec lighting on this tank and have some good growth.

Just ordered:
- air check valve
- diffuser
- Elite A130 filter for pushing the flow with CO2 evenly
- 20# bag of Caribsea Eco Sustrate
- EDITED***Aquaclear 50 HOB filter - I have decided to go with a canister and ceramic media with sponges..

Still Researching, Shopping & Deciding

- smaller LED lighting options (current usa trulumen, trinnex, etc.. )
- beginner plants
- rock vs. driftwood (i know drift wood can drastically affect parameters at times

Here's the location I have targeted in my kitchen area and things I ordered to take way on this fun project with..









Last edited by EAndrews; 04-11-2013 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: removed filter photo for build
EAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru
 
ChadRamsey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (56/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canton, Ga
Posts: 1,392
Default

Howdy fellow Canton-ite!

good luck on this build
__________________


There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
EAndrews
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
Howdy fellow Canton-ite!

good luck on this build
Hey Thanks Chad, yep - we are right here in Prominence Point... I grew up in Woodstock and been a reef hobbyist for a long time.. looks like you have some stronger lighting as well.. I'm looking at using an XM 20k metal halide initially so I'm trying to figure out the right balance of CO2 needed to offset that.
EAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru
 
scapegoat's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: philadelphia, pa
Posts: 2,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAndrews View Post
I highly recommend against this. you've removed the rim, which these are meant to hang on. You're now supporting this item on something much thinner and more brittle than the plastic rim, and there is a potential that the glass will snap where this item is putting pressure.

it also looks like you want something aesthetically pleasing to the eye, hence the reason for removing the rim... these HOB filters are not pretty. I'd really recommend a canister filter.
__________________
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
EAndrews
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
I highly recommend against this. you've removed the rim, which these are meant to hang on. You're now supporting this item on something much thinner and more brittle than the plastic rim, and there is a potential that the glass will snap where this item is putting pressure.

it also looks like you want something aesthetically pleasing to the eye, hence the reason for removing the rim... these HOB filters are not pretty. I'd really recommend a canister filter.
Yea good point, that is actually one thing I was going to have to do was to mold 3 pieces of acrylic on that side to add extra support for that filter... I didn't want to deal with the canister issues I've had in the past on smaller reef setups with NO2. I may still look into a smaller one that has some clear inlet/outlets
EAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru
 
scapegoat's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: philadelphia, pa
Posts: 2,190
Default

i don't think anyone here is having NO2 issues with their canisters. I've had a sunsun going for over a year now and havent opened it up. no problemo!
__________________
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
EAndrews
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
i don't think anyone here is having NO2 issues with their canisters. I've had a sunsun going for over a year now and havent opened it up. no problemo!
Interesting.. which model sunsun are you running and what ceramic media do you use.. obviously you don't have carbon or other media sand that would break down quickly and require monthly or every 2-3 month maintenance
EAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru
 
scapegoat's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: philadelphia, pa
Posts: 2,190
Default

i think i have the 503. it comes with the UV light.

I have the usual crap in the canister. but also tossed in something like this

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewit...FQbNnAodowcAyg

I also have it on a 20g long and it's fantastic. no carbon... just whatever the sunsun came with plus those ceramic bits, which were mainly put in to see the filter as they were removed from the cfs500 i had on my 55g
__________________
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
EAndrews
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
i think i have the 503. it comes with the UV light.

I have the usual crap in the canister. but also tossed in something like this

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewit...FQbNnAodowcAyg

I also have it on a 20g long and it's fantastic. no carbon... just whatever the sunsun came with plus those ceramic bits, which were mainly put in to see the filter as they were removed from the cfs500 i had on my 55g
Preciate the info, that is similar to the one I was looking at earlier and I do like the 9w UV, I run a 18w on all my reef setups... thanks for the info, I am going to read up some more but may just change my filtration system to a canister only using sponges and ceramic media..
EAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru
 
scapegoat's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: philadelphia, pa
Posts: 2,190
Default

with a planted tank, I view the filtration system more as a water polishing, water movement, and mechanical filtration system. the plants add a ton of surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow on.

i'm building a sump for my 125g out of a 40g. I generally plan to have areas of mechanical filtration with a "refugium" for keeping more plants and relying on the plants and the bacteria growth on them for cleaning the water of nutrients
__________________
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
Brian Mc
Algae Grower
 
Brian Mc's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Villa Rica, GA
Posts: 99
Default

+1 on the canister, where are the bike pics?
Brian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #12
EAndrews
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mc View Post
+1 on the canister, where are the bike pics?
HAHAHA! BSB Brian? too funny small world dude.. yea Ive got 4-5 helmets and riding other folks bikes these days.. I did ask the boss lady if I could pick up a ducati next year and she said if i saved it and paid cash I could have it!
EAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
Brian Mc
Algae Grower
 
Brian Mc's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Villa Rica, GA
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAndrews View Post
HAHAHA! BSB Brian? too funny small world dude.. yea Ive got 4-5 helmets and riding other folks bikes these days.. I did ask the boss lady if I could pick up a ducati next year and she said if i saved it and paid cash I could have it!
Nah I am just an old GSB lurker who sold his bike. Too bad you picked up the planted tank habit, that Ducati will never happen now.
Brian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
EAndrews
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 34
Default

Shoot, this is cheap compared to my other tanks... I am laughing with folks losing a 3.00 fish and bent out...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=300706
EAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
EAndrews
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
with a planted tank, I view the filtration system more as a water polishing, water movement, and mechanical filtration system. the plants add a ton of surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow on.

i'm building a sump for my 125g out of a 40g. I generally plan to have areas of mechanical filtration with a "refugium" for keeping more plants and relying on the plants and the bacteria growth on them for cleaning the water of nutrients
So when i researched doing a sump it had flags with high tech setups because of the pull on the CO2.. do you just offset that with more or just limit your water flow returning?
EAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012