Zach's 3g Egg
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-10-2013, 03:05 AM   #1
beginragnarok
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Zach's 3g Egg

Wanting to share my 3 gallon “egg” with ya folks. I got the egg at Michael’s for about $40 in near awesome condition the narrow end of the egg is cut off at a slight angle as to confuse Zach. The egg adds some personality to my large kitchen countertops. This is low tech - sandblasting coal slag substrate with a bit of Osmocote + underneath for the root feeders. A 7.5W paddle heater for the winter time here in Colorado to keep everybody comfortable and a halogen spot lamp for photosynthesis. There will be a pico powerhead with a DIY acylic spraybar during summer to help with evaporative cooling.

There are several different plants in here - Red Melon Sword near the middle two different Crypts on the right side of the larger driftwood Ranaculus inundatus up front Subwassertang is holding down the fort in back by the heater while Mermaid weed (Proserpinaca palustris) is quietly cohabitating in the left corner opposite a few specimens of unknown large leaved stem. In the roots of the driftwood rests some Windelove Java fern. Up top near the heavens Riccia fluitans grows robustly alongside Water Lettuce and Frogbit. With some help from local shrimpers I have CRS and CBS happily living and cleaning every nook of the egg.

I hope to inspire others out there into starting pico / nano tanks. This is far simpler than my other tanks and just as entertaining to watch. A small LED lamp would be nice to replace the halogen lamp that sucks juice creates tons of heat energy and needs replacing about once a month. So, looking into that.

I hope you enjoy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	101_3215.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	122434

Name:	101_3212.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	122442

Name:	101_3226.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	122450

Name:	101_3234.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	122458

Name:	101_3224.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	122466

Name:	101_3253.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	122474

Name:	101_3238.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	122482

Old 04-10-2013, 03:07 AM   #2
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Love the concept, well done sir.

My 40B Work In Progress
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
rasbora
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Good work! It looks like a magic ball that is showing some underwater scene.
rasbora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Target has a version of this as well, right around 3g. Been in stock for going on a year now with no sign that they'll be discontinuing it anytime soon. Price varies--on sale I've seen 'em as low as 12.99, regular prices as high as 29.99.
It's a nice shape and size to play with.

This photo is right after a re-scape several months ago--it's been changed up several times since. This versions stock: 1x breeding pair hybrid endlers, a half dozen cherry shrimp culls and various pond snails.

Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

It's very nice. Michael's always has interesting glass things.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
beginragnarok
Planted Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Knotyoureality, I really like the bowl you shared here as well as in your profile albums! You have endlers in your bowl ay? Is there any filtration for them or can the bowl handle the nitrogen load? I was a bit worried about adding too many shrimp in mine at once but have not seen any indication of ammonia so far with ten CRS/CBS of various ages.

This egg is currently about 3 months old and I'm very happy with it so far. It is nice to have in the kitchen where it can distract me from food prep, also the kitchen being central in my house layout I find that just about every activity is interrupted or even cut short by the egg's allure.

-Zach
Old 05-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
cjstl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just saw this and love it! I've been playing with a 3 gallon flared bowl/vase that I call Camboba Chaos. Currently home to 11 juvenile yellow shrimp and assorted pond snails. I think my camboba is getting too chaotic though. The lower fronds are turning yellow and some are falling off. I have an Aquatop LED that fits the rim of the bowl (although not snugly). I think it has 21 LED's, 3 of which are blue. Also has a day/night switch. I'm using a TOM Mini filter that came with a spraybar.
cjstl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
shift
Wannabe Guru

Looks awesome.. i have been wanting to do one of these for a while now.. but i keep stopping my self due to the already large number of thanks on the go

Love the idea!
5.5G Fluval Chi - Pumpkin shrimplets
10G - CRS/CBS | 10G - Red Rilli's | 10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #9
PunknDestroy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default RE: Zach's 3g Egg

I was actually planning on doing something like this. That's fantastically done.
PunknDestroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #10
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)
Default Re: Zach's 3g Egg

O would not mind having one on my countertop. Really well done. How is the distortion?

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 05-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
jamntoast
Planted Member

i love how in this hobby people are always thinking " i could totally make that an aquarium". good job it looks well proportioned
jamntoast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #12
beginragnarok
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
O would not mind having one on my countertop. Really well done. How is the distortion?

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Thank you. Surprisingly there is very little distortion with this particluar hurricane. the most issue I have with it is that you can't see it from 360 degrees. I need to find or make a lazy suzan for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstl View Post
Just saw this and love it! I've been playing with a 3 gallon flared bowl/vase that I call Camboba Chaos. Currently home to 11 juvenile yellow shrimp and assorted pond snails. I think my camboba is getting too chaotic though. The lower fronds are turning yellow and some are falling off. I have an Aquatop LED that fits the rim of the bowl (although not snugly). I think it has 21 LED's, 3 of which are blue. Also has a day/night switch. I'm using a TOM Mini filter that came with a spraybar.
Share some pictures with us!

this is still an unfiltered bowl/egg. I have recently added an airstone to help keep it cool/removed the paddle heater and have a DeepBlue Solar Flare single 3w LED ordered and awaiting receipt. The halogen lamp that is lighting it now works well save for the massive amount of radiant heat it adds to the water...not preferrable for summer here in Colorado.

The CRS and CBS are doing well. Over the weekend they turned thier noses up at some delicious boiled fresh spinich, though. How snooty. Also I added some very pretty freckled Ramshorn snails. Boy those fellows are a hard working crew. No stone unturned.

Thanks for looking everyone. Hopefully you enjoy it. I will post a few updated pictures later tonight. The bright light in my kitchen will not allow a decent photo during the day.

-Zach
Old 06-04-2013, 01:09 AM   #13
beginragnarok
Planted Member

Update time! Finally a few spare minutes to get some new pictures and info on this little project.

Ordered a new DeepBlue Professional Solar Flare 6700K 3W LED gooseneck lamp. This replaced my xenon halogen lamp which was overheating the water in short order. The new lamp has a huge suction cup attached to the end or the gooseneck for mounting. No on/off switch, really does not matter, it will be on a timer soon.

The Ranaculus inundatus got really tall, I think due to sporadic lighting periods from the halogen. We will see what the new growth does. If it stays tall I will remove it at least from the forground. It looks ridiculous there. Recently had to trim out a bunch of the Subwassertang. Crypts are all happy, new leaves every week or so per plant. There are two different species in there. Sadly, I cannot differentiate Crypts from one another. Lulz. The Prospernaca palustrus has grown enough that I was able to top each of the stems doubling their presence in the jungle. It is such a pretty, worthwhile plant.

Between the temp staying relatively static and the Kordon fine airstine that was added last week along with the LED my CRS/CBS seem more active. The additional O2 is probably appreciated. About two weeks ago I boiled then froze some tasty spinach leaves. First time I added a leaf they could not have cared for it less. Yesterday though they seemed more than happy to chow down. Not with as much zeal as my girlfriend’s orange pumpkin Neos do but I‘ll refrain from getting to hurt about it.

This may be moved to a stand alone cabinet so I can better conceal it’s guts. And to allow a better view of the entire egg. Picture time!

Here is a full view next to the young Ficus triplets.

Name:	101_3323.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	152681

Name:	101_3319.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	152697

Name:	101_3320.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	152705

Name:	101_3312.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	152721

Bird's eye view - this is the most light distortion you can get from this glass.

Name:	101_3315.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	152713

-Zach
Old 06-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #14
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Believe i saw you post on a seperate thread about that light earlier today. Funny how i was looking at it not 10 minutes before, it looks awesome. Simply perfect for a bowl. I will have to be getting one of these. and at $12.95 it pays for itself rather quickly
tattooedfool83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 01:48 AM   #15
waterfaller1
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1

What a great tank!
waterfaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.