Too much Flourite?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 04-09-2013, 04:18 AM   #1
fred1163
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Too much Flourite?

Newbie here...

I have purchased and installed 10 bags of Flourite (approx. 150 lbs) in my 90 gallon tank (48"L x 18"W x 24"H) and set up a hardscape
The Flourite is sloped in the back of each corner to a depth of 6-7". Is this too deep?

I have read about this depth of substrate possibly becoming anaerobic.

It slopes down to avg 2.5" in front.

I am going to be running 2 canister filters, which are in total rated at approx. 800 gph, no CO2, lighting will be 4 x 32W T8 bulbs @ 6500k.

The tank will be moderately-heavily planted with Java Ferns on wood, Vals, Dwarf Sag, Crypts, Bacopa, Wisteria, and a few swords (any advice on which swords appreciated!).

Thanks for any advice!
Fred
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0705.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	121858  

Name:	DSCN0709.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	121866  

Name:	DSCN0702.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	121874  

Last edited by fred1163; 04-09-2013 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: picture
fred1163 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks awesome. I dont think you can have "too much" its all personal preference.
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (163/100%)

I don't think becoming anaerobic would be an issue at all, unless you are starting with a thick layer of something organic, like soil. Anaerobic is not necessarily bad when it comes to planted tank substrates, something to do with nutrient availability.

Keep in mind that over time, your carefully crafted slopes will level out, unless you have some barriers like rocks or roots or terraces that keep things up.

IMO it is just a waste of money to use too much substrate, plus it reduces your effective gallons and room for swimming. But no real bad disadvantages.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
roadmaster
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Plant's can transport oxygen to root's and with enough plant's,,anaerobic condition would be rare.
I personally like the Radican marlbled sword plant.
some folk's have used section of ladies nylon filled with sand to help hold slopes from leveling out.
Can make like a tube with sand, and then cover it with the flourite or other substrate and maybe slope will stay put.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
fred1163
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift View Post
Looks awesome. I dont think you can have "too much" its all personal preference.

Thanks shift!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
fred1163
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
I don't think becoming anaerobic would be an issue at all, unless you are starting with a thick layer of something organic, like soil. Anaerobic is not necessarily bad when it comes to planted tank substrates, something to do with nutrient availability.

Keep in mind that over time, your carefully crafted slopes will level out, unless you have some barriers like rocks or roots or terraces that keep things up.

IMO it is just a waste of money to use too much substrate, plus it reduces your effective gallons and room for swimming. But no real bad disadvantages.
Thanks Wasserpest! The only organic is just a dusting of sifted MGOPM under the top 1.5 inches of Flourite.

I stacked some flat pieces of slate and granite in the rear corners to help hold the slopes.

Since this is a fairly deep tank with low light, my thought was to raise the substrate so the plants would be closer to the light.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
fred1163
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Plant's can transport oxygen to root's and with enough plant's,,anaerobic condition would be rare.
I personally like the Radican marlbled sword plant.
some folk's have used section of ladies nylon filled with sand to help hold slopes from leveling out.
Can make like a tube with sand, and then cover it with the flourite or other substrate and maybe slope will stay put.
Thanks roadmaster! I might try that sword on one of the rear slopes. Not sure if I have enough light to grow it though...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.