Hello. New to planted tanks....
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
GregP
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hello. New to planted tanks....

Hi all.

I have recently left reef keeping and am looking to turn my hand to something new. I have been keeping fish for 4 years (mainly saltwater).

Here is my reef when it won an award on the Ultimate reef forum

IMG_4760 by Greg_P1, on Flickr[/IMG]

I love aquascaping and it is the most enjoyable part of a tank set up for me. So now I want to try something new with a minimalist ADA style planted tank, but I am a total noob and am looking for information that will guide me on my way. I am aware that CO2 and sufficient lighting are a good start, but what about algae control, and all the other basic do's and don'ts?

Can anyone recommend a good stockist for ADA products?

Any help that anyone has with these sorts of set ups would be greatly appreciated.
GregP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (422/100%)

Welcome to the forum.

This will sound like a Captain Obvious statement but it rings true: just start reading everything you can here on the forum. Read everything. Make a list of questions and just start reading. Check things off as you find answers.

After you've read and read and read until you can't read any more... if you still have questions? Then ask.

I only offer this suggestion because you're an experienced reefer. Have a feeling after a bit of reading that you'll be further ahead than you think you are.

You'll find that the ADA products you want will change the more you learn. But the two things I recommend: a tank and Aquasoil.

You won't have many algae issues if you keep lighting/CO2/ferts balanced.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
GregP
Algae Grower

Thanks very much for the reply.

I plan to read anything I can get my hands on. Any suggested reading materials/articles/books? I have been trawling around but there is a lot.

I have already found an ADA supplier near to me and have picked up a catalogue to browse through. The first thing I notice is your comment about keeping lighting/co2 and fertiliser balanced, so I can see already that I need to read up on how to do this.

I am also looking into how much lighting is required (I assume this is dependent on types of plants), and also what degree of stability is required. My main issue with reef keeping was the constant knifes edge balance on keeping temp and nutrients stable, and it left me tied to the tank. I am hoping that plants and fish in this area of the hobby are not quite so delicate as I want to be able to leave it without worrying all the time.

Any continued support and advice on reading materials would be really helpful. I was a help team advisor on the last forum I was on, so it's odd being this side and really not knowing much. So please excuse my ignorance

Thanks again
Old 04-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Read then subscribe to Francis Xavier's threads. He uses ADA stuff and goes into great detail on how to do and observe and all that. Really interesting stuff. I learned a lot about taking care of a tank from these threads and I don't use any ADA stuff. Here is one of them.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=155525

A very nice thread started a while back about aquascaping is this one. Check out his recent shrimp tank too, really interesting.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=180044

Lots more useful threads in the Aquascaping forum too. Many have links to useful sites inside.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Rbp917
Algae Grower

If you have the time a good starting point is;

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...2&goto=newpost

ADA stuff is often in short supply because of the supplier.

Your reef is/was incredible.

Last edited by Rbp917; 04-05-2013 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Added material
Rbp917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Welcome to TPT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Welcome to the forum.

This will sound like a Captain Obvious statement but it rings true: just start reading everything you can here on the forum. Read everything. Make a list of questions and just start reading. Check things off as you find answers. ...
I agree with Captian Obvious

You are ahead of the curve as you already understand how a tank system works. You understand the valve of research vs. being 'Spoon~Feed' info. The hobby after all is grown the plants and breeding the inverts/fish, it's not about shopping.

Take advantage opt the sub-forums here. Bring up old threads and ask specific questions vs. open ended ones.

Just like your Reef Tank, lights drive the system.

You have your goal an 'Amano San' minimalist ADA style planted tank.

I suggest this order:

Plant forum - lean what your plants need

The next three will tell you how to assemble your system:

Lighting forum
Equipmemnt forum
Substrate forum

Best of Luck
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
UDGags
aka Nick

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags
Default Re: Hello. New to planted tanks....

A lot of the tank journals have specific part lists. For example I have everything I use listed and pictures of it. Find an ADA tank you like and copy the parts.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
shawnleon
Algae Grower

Default Hello. New to planted tanks....

You've already gotten good feedback, just want to say I love the reef photo you attached. Very nice work!
shawnleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDGags View Post
A lot of the tank journals have specific part lists. For example I have everything I use listed and pictures of it. Find an ADA tank you like and copy the parts...

Great point, I write my journals like that but, I never thought about using journals as a resource.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
GregP
Algae Grower

Thanks to everyone for the advice and compliments on my reef.

I am now in the process of watching and reading everything I possibly can. I am set on an Iwagumi style aquarium so i'm looking for suitable plants, tank dimensions, etc.

I saw this plant on a youtube video....

Could someone identify them for me. I love the 'grassy' look they give and they seem to go a long way to creating that landscape effect within the aquarium.

I am also researching the problems/difficulties with such a set up and am unearthing information relating to algae being an issue due to the low number of plants used in this type of set up. Equally this is bringing up some suggestions to ease the problems, such as temporarily adding some other plants, or using floating plants to assist in the early stages.

I want to learn how plants grow in an aquatic environment. Anyone recommend a good article as I am struggling to find one?

At the moment, its just read read read watch watch watch and read some more!
Old 04-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

Dwarf hairgrass is a good carpet plant to start out with. It is easy to grow given light, CO2 and nutrients and it looks great mowed. Gets algae, mow it. Gets too tall, mow it. Gets gunk build up, mow it.

Perhaps you could get useful information about handling a low plant mass hairgrass iwagami from this thread. Very long thread but info about lighting, water movement, fertilizing and such is in there.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=172136
Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
GregP
Algae Grower

Thanks Kathy. That's a really big help. Will give it a read
Old 04-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #13
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Welcome to TPT, that was a beautiful reef tank you created.

First I would start with browsing some inspirational works done in the Nature Aquarium Style: http://en.iaplc.com/about/gp_works.html

You sound like you want to do a Japanese style Nature Aquarium, a style made popular by Takashi Amano. This is another good thread to read for insight on that style:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...525&highlight=

Choosing your tank size is usually the first logical equipment choice, I have a few favorite best value ADA tanks and also a few favorite unique shape ADA tanks.
I'll just mention the best value IMHO; Mini M, 60-P, 75-P and the 120-P.

Reading helps but there is nothing like first hand experience setting up a tank for the first time. If you really want to dig deep into the Nature Aquarium Style, English Aqua Journal issues are golden and will most likely have everything you are looking for in one place, straight from ADA.
https://store.coverleaf.com/softslat...ournal#library

Also this book, free if you buy an ADA product from ADG:
http://www.adgshop.com/product_p/2010book.htm

Just browsing the US distributors websites for equipment ideas is also good:
http://www.adgshop.com/default.asp
http://www.adana-usa.com/

You can feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
GregP
Algae Grower

Thanks for those links. Some great info there.

A Japanese minimalist style tank is certainly the goal so perhaps I'll share some initial thoughts on equipment etc and people can let me know what they think? And please be honest as I want to make the right decisions.

Initially I am looking at the following.

ADA cube garden 75x45x45 aquarium and stand.
ADA solar 150w halide (does this sound like sufficient light? It's what my local shop has over theirs? I want to make sure I have enough light)
The filter will be a good quality one, but not ADA as the cost seems high with little added benefit? Unless I am wrong? (can anyone suggest the recommended media for the filter?)
A co2 set up (again not Ada unless someone can explain the benefits that make the cost so much higher)
All glasswear will be Ada, still deciding on specifics.
Most likely Ada ferts/tests
Substrate likely to be powersand (any recommendations on size?) with Amazonia on top. Unsure about what additional products would be good and set ups all seem to have a selection of additional products sprinkled within the powersand?
The rocks is a sticking point at the moment as I am not sure I can't find interesting rocks at a cheaper price to the Ada ones. I am not trying to cut costs, but I am just not sure the Ada ones are worth the premium they charge.
Plant choice seems fairly limited because of the look of the tank. I would like something slightly taller around the rocks (maybe dwarf hair grass) and then maybe glossostigma Or hemianthus Callitrichoides for the surrounding areas.

Lots of information there, and these are provisional thoughts, so any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (422/100%)

Tank: sounds good

Light fixture: I'd avoid metal halide for something more efficient like LED but that's just personal preference. Maybe you could even find a used/dead ADA fixture and retrofit it with nice LEDs?

Filter: I'd go with Eheim. Includes all the filter media you'll need. Maybe add some Purigen. Can avoid the ugly green tubing, if you desire, by getting clear at your local big box hardware store. Usually about $7 for 20 feet or so.

CO2: Just buy a nice two-stage regulator here on the forum and put it on your own CO2 cylinder. You'll save a mountain of cash and it'll look terrific. My last one has a manifold with three outlets, a nice solenoid and is all stainless steel. Combined with a brand new brushed 10lb cylinder + filling it with CO2, I was well under what an ADA setup would cost.

Ferts: Definitely consider buying your own dry ferts in bulk. I'm an ADA fanboy and believe it's a waste of money to pay for water with a little bit of fertilizer mixed in. If you want the ADA packaging feel, just mix your own with RO/DI water and store them in stylish containers.

Substrate: sounds like a good plan. Others will say you will have great experience with substrate additives but I've never seen a major difference or benefit beyond just using Amazonia. It's (in my opinion) hands-down the best thing you can use in a planted tank as a newbie to the plant world.

Rocks: Start going to landscaping supply stores and call up landscapers to see what they've got. Occasionally, you'll find great pieces at a random hole-in-the-wall LFS. I believe it's worth spending as much time as necessary to find the absolute best hardscape material, as it'll make you happier in the long run. There are also a couple great sellers here on TPT, so be sure to check them out.

You should consider starting a tank journal once you've purchased your tank. That way we can all follow along.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote