Best tablet under $250
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 04-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Best tablet under $250

Hi guys! I'm looking for some input on tablets. I have about $250 to spend and would like to get a being sized (around 7") tablet. I would use it mostly for browsing the web and forums. I really want something with the best resolution possible, so I can view my photos in the best quality! So far from what I've read the Google Nexus 7 is the best, and about $50 under my price range. Any input/advice/suggestions?! I'd love an iPad mini, but it's too pricey for me.
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
Hi guys! I'm looking for some input on tablets. I have about $250 to spend and would like to get a being sized (around 7") tablet. I would use it mostly for browsing the web and forums. I really want something with the best resolution possible, so I can view my photos in the best quality! So far from what I've read the Google Nexus 7 is the best, and about $50 under my price range. Any input/advice/suggestions?! I'd love an iPad mini, but it's too pricey for me.
It really depends on what you need. If you like tinkering and configuring and don't mind being married to the Google ecosystem, absolutely go with the Nexus.

If you like things simple and easy, and don't mind your tablet being less customization in exchange for less fooling around, consider the mini.

If it's really just content you are after, the Kindle tablets are great.

I'm in the app/tablet development world and I go between all of them. For me, Android is the best choice but that's largely because my whole company is standardized on Google Apps, etc.

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." — Socrates

Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
GraphicGr8s
Supreme ruler & master

PTrader: (10/100%)

Not sure it's comparable but I got a kindle fire hd. Not bad but it takes getting use to typing. And I seem to misspell more on that then a regular keyboard. Plus I really like life at 105"

Photo quality is relative to size and the resolution you shot it at. And it needs to be a quality photo to start. Looking at a crap photo on a top of the line piece of equipment still leaves you with a crappy photo.

It's like looking at your LCD on the back of the camera. As Kelby says, "everything is sharp at 3"". get it on a large monitor and the truth is told.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
mfurufuru
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Re: Best tablet under $250

I have a nexus 7. I use it for the same thing you plan on using yours for. Screen is awesome and performance and battery life is incredible.
Can't say enough good thing about it. For me, my iPad is too big to carry around. Even though I usually carry it in my hand, my nexus 7 fits in my pocket if I need to hold something with both hands.
Unless you are married into the apple ecosystem I think it is one of the better options out there. I would recommend it without hesitation.
mfurufuru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Thanks for the input guys! I have an iPod touch, so I'm very familiar with the Apple system and how to operate it, but I'm 17 so I can learn and figure things out. I also don't like apple enough to pay $200 more just for that!

The iPad mini is out of my budget..
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
All your base
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

If you're a big Amazon user you should consider the 7" Fire HD, it's about the same price and specs as the Nexus but heavily skinned to work well with Amazon digital content.

Otherwise I think the Nexus is clearly the best, unless you absolutely HAVE to have a feature it doesn't provide (HDMI out, expandable storage).

edit - wow, I see in the two minutes it took me to type this, you've already got a billion other answers.
All your base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
GraphicGr8s
Supreme ruler & master

PTrader: (10/100%)

Kindle Fire HD. But google reviews on it. Look at comparisons between the two and see what features each has side by side. The Kindle had what I wanted for about $200. I got it mostly to teach my 4 YO to learn his ABC's and be able to draw them on a touch screen. He has something against his leap pad. Strange kid at times. And way too smart for a 4 YO.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Nexus 7 without question. I was given an iPad mini as a gift and while its nice I would pay for the nexus before I paid for the iPad
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
kruzerman
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

The Nexus 7 will be your best bet and come in under budget! The Kindle Fire is great if you are a big Amazon buyer and if you are a prime customer you get to use the free kindle lending library. A refurbished ipad mini might hit your price range and carry the same warranty as new ipad. The Apple store doesn't have any wifi only minis in stock but they might soon.
kruzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
Asphalt Art
Planted Tank Obsessed

Buy used. I had bought an Ipad2 16g and realized I did nothing more than piddle with games. Later I blew the dust off of it, and to ensure it was competitively priced on Craigslist I set the price at 200. You sure aren't going to get a new one with a Retina Display though.

Sometimes a little bit of patience and due diligence can be financially rewarding.
Asphalt Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

If you like to tinker (or can follow directions), there is another option - the (older) Nook tablet, available refurbished for sometimes as low as $66. The stock config can be replaced with Android 4.1 JB/CM10. It has expandable storage, a beautiful screen, decent specs, and is probably some of the better values out there.

If you want something that works out of the box, the Nexus 7 comes with Android 4.2, ready to go!
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
rice n curry man
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Get the iPad mini
rice n curry man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-H View Post
It really depends on what you need. If you like tinkering and configuring and don't mind being married to the Google ecosystem, absolutely go with the Nexus.
there is no "married" when you're talking about an android device.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
Asphalt Art
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
there is no "married" when you're talking about an android device.
This.

I have Superuser'ed, Rooted, and installed a user-created Android OS on my old Xperia X10 phone, but since I can get rid of all unnecessary processes it can still keep up with some of the stuff being released today (save for some of those nutty fast dual core phones). Bloatware should be illegal.

If I don't like how something is set up, it is way too easy to change it to pretty much exactly what I am looking for.
Asphalt Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #15
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

I've rooted all my android devices since the G1. It gets easier every day. My One S was stupid simple.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote