Clay in soil substrate
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 04-09-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
Barkington
Algae Grower

PTrader: (20/100%)

Clay in soil substrate

How does one incorporate clay into the substrate properly? I've been considering using a clay additive in my next soil tank but I was wondering if someone could clarify a few things. Do you mix it in like mud or just roll of chunks and incorporate it into the lower portion of the soil?
Would it be possible to mix in some chemical free kitty litter? I'm not sure of the makeup of each product but I assumed the clay would have significantly more iron based on the color.

As of right now I am re-doing my 40 with a gravel cap and a 30 with blasting grit.

Last edited by Barkington; 04-09-2013 at 04:40 AM.. Reason: Because I'm bad at the internet
Barkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

The easiest way would probably be if you started with a dried clay powder (some of the artist/pottery supplies sell it this way), and just mix everything dry, and then add water.

If you end up with a slab of moist clay, you might want to try smushing it into sheets, and then forcing it through a screen or something to break it into granules. Or maybe you can add enough water to make a slurry. I don't know, I haven't had to deal with this, but it sounds like it would be more difficult then the powdered form.

I've used kitty litter before, and it pops up every now and then on the forums.

According to Walstad, the soil should provide plenty of iron, so I don't really know if it's something you need to worry about adding to a soil mix.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote