Fish tank to house plumbing questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 04-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
hcker2000
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fish tank to house plumbing questions

So I'm in luck in that I have a water line running directly under my fish tank to an out side faucet.

So I want to tap into this and run a link up threw my floor with a valve and then into my AquaTop CF300 canister filter tubing (5/8" ID).

I took a look at lowes the other day but could not find what I needed to get this done.

The house plumbing is Polybutylene. I happen to know they make some quick connect fittings that work just fine with it as I had to replace a valve under my sink.

Any idea how to go from Polybutyleneto vinyl tubing with a valve in the middle would be great.

I really want to keep the T in the vinyl tubing plastic of course as water is going threw that all the time.

That being said I am also considering installing a water filter so if any one has any recommendations that are small to semi-small and are not a fortune please let me know.
hcker2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 02:06 AM   #2
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Why would you run a water line directly into the tubing on your canister filter? I don't recommend using that method as there is always the possibility of cross contamination of your potable water system.

Why not just run a separate line to the tank?
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
hcker2000
Algae Grower

I am open to that but I would still need to go from house plumbing to vinyl tubing at some point I think to make it threw where my filter lines are. Really I would like to go from the house plumbing to Polyethylene tube.

Last edited by hcker2000; 04-09-2013 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 04-13-2013, 01:13 AM   #4
jart
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
Why would you run a water line directly into the tubing on your canister filter? I don't recommend using that method as there is always the possibility of cross contamination of your potable water system.

Why not just run a separate line to the tank?
Deeda can you please elaborate? I don't quite understand what you mean by this. Perhaps you mean the tank/ canister water could leak back into the house's water supply?

Don't a lot of people with sumps use such a strategy with continuous drip systems?

Thanks in advance.
jart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

When I used a continuous drip system I had about 15 feet of 1/4 inch plastic tubing, a regulator, a throttle valve, and a filter, between the tank and the household water. That was still illegal, but I felt since it was never turned off it was safe enough. If you have the incoming water go through a tube with a hole in it at the high point, that will also prevent any back flow.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Jart, yes that is what I meant regarding the possibility of the aquarium/filter water possibly being able to get into the potable water supply of the home.

People that use automatic drip systems or float valves on a sump system don't have the fresh water entering below the tank or sump water level.

As Hoppy mentioned, you want to prevent backflow from the aquarium/sump to your household water.
Eheim Pimpette #270
Old 04-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
hcker2000
Algae Grower

What I ended up doing this weekend was to install a gator bite T fitting into my PB house plumbing. Then ran a small piece of cpvc to a 1/2" to 3/8" shut off value. All that is under the house. Then I ran the 3/8" up threw the floor to a shut off valve and a 90 degree elbow with a couple inches of pipe to fill the tank with.

It cost a bit more to have the 1/2" to 3/8" shut off valve under the floor but this way if I need to work on the upper portion all that needs to be done is shut off that valve.

Last edited by hcker2000; 04-15-2013 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: fixed a mistake
Old 04-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #8
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm glad you were able to figure out how to get the water supply closer to your tank. Keep us posted on the outcome of your project.
Eheim Pimpette #270

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.