Would this overstock my 10g?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Morbo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

Would this overstock my 10g?

Hi!

Currently I have a planted 10 gallon with 7 spotted blue-eye rainbowfish (pseudomugil gertrudae) and a tiny colony of RCS (roughly 10 or so). The rainbowfish top out at only about 1.5 inches so I was toying with the idea of adding about 6 celestial pearl danios. Do you think this is pushing it for just a standard sized 10 gallon? I love CPDS but I also don't want to overstock my tank.

Thanks!
Morbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
bankruptjojo
Planted Member

i think so yes. one school of even very small fish pretty much fill up a 10g. also with smaller fish like this they are usually pretty skittish so if anything id up your current school a few more.
33g long cherry shrimp, 8 pygmy corys, 5 ottos
15g 2 GBR
bankruptjojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
ael

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yeah chances are good that would push you dangerously past the 10G tank limit. Any of your fish died? Even the rainbow's would come out to total about 10.5 inches right? I try to go with at least a gallon of water per inch of fish. What does the water quality look like? I know some pet shops do free water tests if you bring in a sample. You want to look for nitrates and ammonia as these will kill your fish.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I don't think you'd truly have a problem. How heavily planted is your tank if at all?
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Morbo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ael View Post
Yeah chances are good that would push you dangerously past the 10G tank limit. Any of your fish died? Even the rainbow's would come out to total about 10.5 inches right? I try to go with at least a gallon of water per inch of fish. What does the water quality look like? I know some pet shops do free water tests if you bring in a sample. You want to look for nitrates and ammonia as these will kill your fish.
My water params are great (0, 0, ~10 -- API Master test kit) and I do weekly 50% PWCs. The inch-per-gallon rule works in some cases but in a lot of situations it doesn't, too. Thanks for the reply though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinator View Post
I don't think you'd truly have a problem. How heavily planted is your tank if at all?
Right now the tank is only about 6-7 weeks old so I'd say it's moderately planted (crypt parva and tropica, dwarf sag, bacopa caroliniana, a big corner of baby tears (HM, not HC), frogbit on the surface, driftwood with flame moss, and I just planted a bunch of stems of ludwigia repens and hygrophila angustifolia) but on its way to heavily planted.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I would recommend waiting a little bit before adding more fish since your tank is fairly new. Also, if you're able to get them in groups or 3, and get the next group a week later, it would help in the bacterial growth and help you in the long run.
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
bankruptjojo
Planted Member

would you have a problem no... is it best for the fish??? imo no. its not about your water parameters as i could keep a oscar in a 10g and do extra water changes and keep the params in order. its what is best for the fish and with small schooling fish like them its best to give them as big a school as possible. also imo 2 schools looks funny sometimes especially in a small tank.
33g long cherry shrimp, 8 pygmy corys, 5 ottos
15g 2 GBR
bankruptjojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
Morbo
Algae Grower

Cool, makes sense! Thanks!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
Kyguylal
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Honestly, I'd say you'd be fine adding 5 or 6 CPDs if you add some more plants and you had a good filter
Kyguylal is offline   Reply With Quote