red lotus (nymphaea)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 04-21-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
chenychen
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

red lotus (nymphaea)

Hey hows it going,

I've only just set up a new tank and am quite new to the art of planted tanks..
bought a couple of red lotus' and when i was planting one of them the stem broke off!! argh!! was just wondering if the plant now is totally worthless.. was the most beautiful .. such a waste =(

all that remains is the roots and bulb and three stems about a cm protuding out of the bulb. Should i cut the stems off or just plant it as it is?

thanks for any help guys
chenychen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
chenychen
Algae Grower

Does anyone also know where to buy nympahea red zenkeri? in australia?
Old 04-21-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
KevinC
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

There is a lot of energy stored in the bulb - just plant it and wait and see. I once split a bulb from my LFS (it had two separate plants starting to emerge) and both grew. Now I can hardly stop my lotus from reproducing - it is a great plant to sell back to LFS's! Evidently they don't ship very well with those fragile leaves, so my LFS likes to see local plants.

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 2x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2013, red tiger lotus, vals, java fern and moss, crypts, swords, mbuna tank: Yellow labs, Ps. demasoni, clown plecos, SAE's.

10g mini-reef. 16lbs LR, green mushroom, star polyps, wagon wheel polyps, purple mushroom, candycane, hammer, other zoas, CUC.
KevinC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
mad921
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)

It'll comeback great. Had a bulb I accidentally planted upside down that started shooting off mutant shaped leaves. I cut them all off once I planted it properly and it came back beautifully.

I'd go ahead and cut the stems off. They won't produce any more leaves and it's just going to waste energy in the bulb.

Stick a bunch of root tabs around it and you'll have a gorgeous plant in a few weeks guaranteed.
mad921 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
aquamoon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

What you have done is germinate the bulb. as far as make it totally worthless,not true. This action needs to be done a least once a year to keep it from going dormant .
IME don't remove the 'stems' as this is more of a waste of time.

Kevin
aquamoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2006, 05:41 AM   #6
chenychen
Algae Grower

Thank God!! so glad .. red lotus dont come cheap~

sorry aquamoon what does IME stand for?/ But you're saying leave the roots on?/ they wont rot?

mad921 im not questioning your advice but if i have a undergravel filter .. doesn't it kinda stuff up the bilogical stuff that resides in my undergravel filter? Im using seachems flourish fertiliser.. Does that do the same job with the roots?

Another question is.. why do the stems keep drooping?? is this a lack of nutrients?? what kind of nutrients should i supply for it.. ??

Tank parameters:
90 by 50 by 36cm
Temp: 27 degrees
Lighting: approx 10 hours with 2 * 65 watt bulbs
ph: 6.8
Ammonia and nitrate: zero
Water change: weekly 50%
undergravel filter
eheim filter pumping 440L/hr

If anyone knows where to get red lotus in australia please contact me via email: azn3ntity@hotmail.com or post a reply here
Old 04-22-2006, 06:42 AM   #7
WfxXx
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to WfxXx

Temp is 27 degrees?, that would be a problem, although I am quiet sure that is a typo..
Nutrient's? depend's on your tank, C02, no C02? fish load, etc.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:51 AM   #8
fishcrazee
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fishcrazee

He lives in Australia (metric system, if only America would adapt it as well, so much easier to use) so 27 C would be about 80 F.
chenychen: I'm not sure why your leaves are dropping, or maybe I just don't understand what you mean. My lotus (I believe they are actually dwarf water lillies) has been grown in a bulb and I just seperated it into about 5 plants and new ones are still growing. It doesn't take much for the plant to be happy. It just may be acclimatizing sp?
IME stands for In My Experience
fishcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2006, 01:14 PM   #9
chenychen
Algae Grower

WfxXx i currently only put Seachem's Flourish fertiliser every week, and have been for the past two weeks. I wanted to place some fertiliser balls in my gravel next to the lotus but apparently i cant use them if i have an undergravel filter operating. Is there perhaps anything else i can do?

Did a little research on Rex's Guides on plant supplements and i definetly dont want to fiddle around with the KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4 carbon hardness etc

In terms of fish load i have two pearl gouramis 8cm each, 4 apisto trifasciata 3.5cm each, 8 zebra angels 3cm each. So a total of 54 cm of fish in a 90 by 50 by 36cm tank which is about 162 Litres or 46 us gallons. Had a pleco in there to get rid of the brown hairy algae on my plants and glass but it passed so much poop so i took it out.

Tanks been running for 10 weeks. Fishless cycle for 3 weeks, then for one week dosed Seachem's stability, then slowly introduced fish in tank. Only decided to switch to a planted tank a week ago.

and i have no CO2 injections
Old 04-22-2006, 01:22 PM   #10
chenychen
Algae Grower

hehehe sorry fishcrazee english ain't too good..

i mean drooping; as in the stalk of the lotus plant is not straight.. but kinda bent parabolically.. curved and flimsy looking umm like bent into an upside down U shaped. was just wondering if i should cut it off, or wait for the stalks to straighten.. would be such a shame to cut those beautiful leaves off!!
Old 04-22-2006, 03:00 PM   #11
aquamoon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

If you don't want to remove the stalks ...then don't.
It will grow and be happy with or without this action on your part.
The only time that rotting is a problem is when the bulb is planted to deep.

Try some Substrate fert tabs as this plant is a med. root feeder.

Kevin
aquamoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2006, 02:40 AM   #12
gus
Algae Grower

I accidently left a bulb on the lawn overnight. I pushed it into the gravel the next day and it sprung a leaf!!
gus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2006, 04:44 AM   #13
kotoeloncat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenychen
Thank God!! so glad .. red lotus dont come cheap~

sorry aquamoon what does IME stand for?/ But you're saying leave the roots on?/ they wont rot?

mad921 im not questioning your advice but if i have a undergravel filter .. doesn't it kinda stuff up the bilogical stuff that resides in my undergravel filter? Im using seachems flourish fertiliser.. Does that do the same job with the roots?

Another question is.. why do the stems keep drooping?? is this a lack of nutrients?? what kind of nutrients should i supply for it.. ??

Tank parameters:
90 by 50 by 36cm
Temp: 27 degrees
Lighting: approx 10 hours with 2 * 65 watt bulbs
ph: 6.8
Ammonia and nitrate: zero
Water change: weekly 50%
undergravel filter
eheim filter pumping 440L/hr

If anyone knows where to get red lotus in australia please contact me via email: azn3ntity@hotmail.com or post a reply here
drooping ? or do you mean melting ?

i find that nymphaeas hates being moved around, if uprooted and moved, it usually will shed a few leaves before it jump back up
kotoeloncat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2006, 05:26 AM   #14
chenychen
Algae Grower

thanks for all the quick responses guys this forum is awesome

no the plant just looks reli weak kotoeloncat; doesnt have upright steams..

found the other leaves of the other plants i have in my tank are beginning to turn yellow and are beginning to melt ..

placed a couple of ezi-grow root tabs around the red lotus and the other plants; lfs ran outta seachems root tabs which is a shame.. do you think this is sufficient? i also pour about a capful of seachems flourish once a week now.. should i also go for seachem's flourish trace ??

what do you guys suggest?
Old 04-23-2006, 05:52 AM   #15
kotoeloncat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ever considering removing the undergravel filter, plants dont do well with those unless you pot them individually , another thing about UGF is that if you put a root tab in the gravel ontop of a UGF, the ugf will release the nutrients into the water column, potential algae problem

I find that i lose a few leaf when i move it (acclimating i guess ?)
do you use co2 ? i dont think co2 is necessary for lotuses tho, but it helps

mine grow like weed and has leafs bigger than my palm, shoots surface leaves every week or so

and here are my parameters

tank: 45 gal
phospate: 1ppm
nitrate: 20ppm
lighting: 2 x 96 watt power compacts 6700k
co2: DIY yeast co2
fertilizer regime: 1 capful flourish excel daily, 16 drop kent grow daily, seachem tabs and hagen plant spikes
temp: 86-88 degree F (around 30c ?)
pH: 6.4
substrate: ADA power sand, gravel, ADA aqua soil amazonia

I notice you said 0 nitrate, to my knowledge, nitrate is supposed to be a plant's base food, they need those, some plant only aquariust (no fish) actually have to add nitrate into the tank.
kotoeloncat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.