Best algae eating fish - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #16
ClairemontTropical
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
Massive numbers of snails help with that. I've a BN pleco in my riparium and have only done a gravel vac once in the past three months.
are you saying that snails eat poop?
ClairemontTropical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 05:03 AM   #17
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (82/98%)

SAE, they never quit if your tank is a large size heavily planted.

The big ones(two+ years old) do get excited when it comes to feeding time, and try to scare away the angelfish by nipping their pelvic fins(no harm, don't actually nip, only touch). as soon as food gone, they get back to their jobs.

Oto, really good too.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
Bruce_S
Planted Member

I'd say if you can manage it, mix it up. My tank hosts SAE, bristlenose & rubberlip plecos, otocinclus, Amano and ghost shrimp, nerite, ramshorn, rabbit and Maylaysian trumpet snails, and _most_ algaes are well taken-care of. I do get some green spot & green dust algae on the glass and anubias leaves, and of late have been seeing what looks like a bit of staghorn on the edges of some swordplants. For a tank that's been running about a year, she's pretty algae-free in my humble experience!

Additionally, _lots_ of plants help to use up all the nutrients that would otherwise fuel algaes.

Photo of the tank in question, just because - 75 gallon with two HOBs & a canister, T-5, T-8 & LED lighting:

~Bruce
Bruce_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #19
el_oscuro

Default azgardens.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
Not a fish, but did someone say nerites yet?
I got mine from azgardens.com. Their shipping is expensive at $49, so if you want to buy from them, get some some of your friends who have tanks to split the shipping and make a bulk order.
I ordered 20 snails, put about 15 of them in my 75G Oscar tank, and gave the rest to my kids and a few of their friends. All are doing well. The snails annihilated a bad hair algae problem I had and pretty much everything azgardens.com had about the snails seems to be accurate, at least in my experience. These guys seem to be indestructible. My daughter has on in a 3 gallon beta tank and it seems fine.
el_oscuro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #20
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_oscuro View Post
I got mine from azgardens.com. Their shipping is expensive at $49, so if you want to buy from them, get some some of your friends who have tanks to split the shipping and make a bulk order.
I ordered 20 snails, put about 15 of them in my 75G Oscar tank, and gave the rest to my kids and a few of their friends. All are doing well. The snails annihilated a bad hair algae problem I had and pretty much everything azgardens.com had about the snails seems to be accurate, at least in my experience. These guys seem to be indestructible. My daughter has on in a 3 gallon beta tank and it seems fine.
There are much cheaper places to get nerites--especially if you only need a few. Keep in mind, female nerites (and the vast majority seem to be females!) lay sesame sized white eggs--constantly and everywhere. For the longest time mine only laid 'em on the underside/back side of my driftwood so it wasn't a big issues--but just recently they've started laying them on the walls--front side and back.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #21
Calmia22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have 4 bristlenose plecos in my 75 (my brother breeds them, and were trying to get a group breeding in my tank)

I have 1 otto in my 8 gallon shrimp tank, and 1 nerite snail in my 40b which is the only thing that my puffer wont eat in there.

All of my tanks are algae free.
Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,
75 Gallon High Tech
Calmia22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #22
Plantnerd
Algae Grower

If you can find it Septaria procellana is even better than nerite snails at finding and eating alge and as a added bonus they don't lay those white eggs all over the place.
Plantnerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #23
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Ottos are my personal favorites as well as nerite snails, I hear rubber lip plecos are also good algae eaters, however I've never had one

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, I often get confused :P
40 gal http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2194146#post2194146

RAOK Club: #99 Fluval Pimp Club: #47
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.