Aquatic Plant Soil??
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-23-2002, 04:44 PM   #1
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

OK, so I was just getting some perlite and pots and my local Bachman's in order to start my plumerias (tropical plants is another one of my "not so 9th grade" hobbies I am into), and I also got out my potting soil. I was looking on the back at the different types of potting soil there was. It was Schultz brand, so it had all the different kinds of planting media made by Schultz. I was looking and saw "Aquatic plant soil" under the list of different planting media!

Has anyone every used a brand like this for aquatic plants? I have a feeling it might be more of a pond thing, but it may very well be useable in an aquarium! I have a 10 gallon that only has 1 fish in it, so I could move that to my 55 and restart that tank (10 gallon) by getting some of this "aquatic plant soil" and trying it out! I could top it off with a 1:1 flourite/gravel mix and see how the plants do... Any info on this?

-Tim
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2002, 04:49 PM   #2
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I looked online to find some info and it said it is a 100% kiln fired mineral substance....it is sounding an awful lot like flourite. Says it will hold plants down, store nutrients (like flourite) and is pH safe... But it said great for hydroponics...why would you need soil for hydroponics?

-Tim
Old 11-23-2002, 06:11 PM   #3
jus1moretank
Algae Grower

Its the same stuff as their Clay Soil Conditioner. I use it in my tank and have no problems with it. Just make sure you rinse it real good.
jus1moretank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.