Riparium Bonsai
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Riparium Bonsai

Riparium Bonsai

This thread is a continuation of a couple of others that I have been working on...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...666&highlight=

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...754&highlight=

I thought it would be a good idea to record some of my observations with a journal thread, too.

I am experimenting with growing and training a few different kinds of woody trees and shrubs as bonsai specimens in planted ripariums.

Just yesterday I got the Montezuma cypress (Taxodium mucronatum) sapling that I had ordered. The potted plant that they sent looked pretty good. It came rooted in a 1-gallon pot.

The tree had an extensive root system and I had to prune it back quite a bit to fit it into a riparium planter.

The little cypress still looks good today. It hasn't wilted or anything. I have some more pictures to share later on.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #2
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dude, you're trying to grow a Montezuma Cypress in your tank!

More power to you

However, I would use it as an island centerpiece for a large cube tank
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #3
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
Dude, you're trying to grow a Montezuma Cypress in your tank!

More power to you

However, I would use it as an island centerpiece for a large cube tank
This plant isn't very big. The stem is only about 5/16" at the base. And I don't have a large tank to put it in. If the tree survives the change I will keep it small with pruning and bonsai training.

I'm also starting some Montezuma cypress from seed right in a couple of riparium planters. It's going to take these little plants 12 months or so to grow up to size.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #4
Adogowo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sounds awesome. Do you have a style in mind for the tree? I have always wanted to try a tiger bark ficus. Letting the roots tangle into a curtain inside a vivarium. Perhaps even doing some under plantings or tillandsia. Subscribed
Adogowo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogowo View Post
Sounds awesome. Do you have a style in mind for the tree? I have always wanted to try a tiger bark ficus. Letting the roots tangle into a curtain inside a vivarium. Perhaps even doing some under plantings or tillandsia. Subscribed
I have wanted to try a fig like this too. There are many different Ficus species and it would be best to use one that is adapted to grow in the water. Swamp fig (Ficus trichopoda) would probably be a good choice. I remember seeing large strangler figs in Mexico growing near rivers practically in the water.

I cut out a lot of the roots on this cypress so that I could fit it into the planter.

I also took about 50% off the top of the plant.

Here it is potted up. The stem is straight like a stick and I'm going to have to wire it to put some natural curves into it.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

I'm working with a few other tree and shrub species as potential bonsai for ripariums. Here is a quick list...
  • Swamp Rose (Rosa palustris)
  • Buttonbush (Cepahalanthis occidentalis)
  • Hummingbird Flower (Sesbania grandiflora)
  • Pond Apple (Annona glabra)
  • River Cane (Arundinaria tecta)

These are all true swamp/wetland plants, so I hope that they can adapt to growing in a riparium. The river cane is actually one of just a couple of related US-native true bamboos.

I bought a dormant buttonbush a couple of weeks ago and planted it in a ripairum planter. It is starting to leaf out and grow lots of roots in the planter. I should get some new pictures of. This shot shoes the dormant potted buttonbush plant...

Old 04-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

what is your professional background? do you do this for a living?

always inspiring to this community. One day I'll make a purchase from you for more than substrate.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
chevyguy8893
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

This is an awesome idea that has some great potential, especially with your setups and experience. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.
chevyguy8893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hydrophyte where did you order your Cyprus from? I'm thinking of ordering one and doing an island in a rimless cube. It's either that or doing some other form of bonsai that wouldnt suffer root rot.
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
what is your professional background? do you do this for a living?

always inspiring to this community. One day I'll make a purchase from you for more than substrate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy8893 View Post
This is an awesome idea that has some great potential, especially with your setups and experience. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.
Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
Hydrophyte where did you order your Cyprus from? I'm thinking of ordering one and doing an island in a rimless cube. It's either that or doing some other form of bonsai that wouldnt suffer root rot.
I got the Montezuma cypress from a nursery in Texas. It was sort of expensive. You can get the related and similar bald cypress (Taxodium distichum) a lot cheaper, but I got the Montezuma cypress because it's more of a subtropical/tropical plant and I thought that it might have a better chance of living indoors without a cool winter dormancy. If you like I can link the place in Texas for you. For a planting like that you might also consider one of the bushy riparium plants like Ruellia or Asclepias. Those grow fast when established and they are easy.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
Warlock
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

i am totally down to see how your CYPRESS WORKS!!

being from the south.. nothing is more beautiful then a CYPRESS growing on the bank of a river!!!
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Thanks so much!

I got the Montezuma cypress from a nursery in Texas. It was sort of expensive. You can get the related and similar bald cypress (Taxodium distichum) a lot cheaper, but I got the Montezuma cypress because it's more of a subtropical/tropical plant and I thought that it might have a better chance of living indoors without a cool winter dormancy. If you like I can link the place in Texas for you. For a planting like that you might also consider one of the bushy riparium plants like Ruellia or Asclepias. Those grow fast when established and they are easy.
How much did the montezuma run? $2-300 I'm guessing? If so sure, shoot me a pm and I'll place an order sometime!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
Warlock
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
How much did the montezuma run? $2-300 I'm guessing? If so sure, shoot me a pm and I'll place an order sometime!
Texas.. ?

Where
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

No it wasn't that much. It was thirty bucks shipped. You can get bald cypress saplings for just a few dollars on ebay, but like I said I thought the Montezuma cyypress was a safer bet for this. I'll send you a PM about the nursery source. If you are interested in plants like this I have also accumulated a little collection of seeds here for tropical wetland trees & shrubs.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #15
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
No it wasn't that much. It was thirty bucks shipped. You can get bald cypress saplings for just a few dollars on ebay, but like I said I thought the Montezuma cyypress was a safer bet for this. I'll send you a PM about the nursery source. If you are interested in plants like this I have also accumulated a little collection of seeds here for tropical wetland trees & shrubs.
oh, for some reason i thought it was an already trained bonsai; that's a great price and it looks like it should do well!