keeping discus in lowtech community tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 04-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

A Reef Genesis Automatic Waterchange system might be something to look into, could be worth it for a tank that size and the amount of water being changed.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #17
Biomarine2000
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just bought a 55 gallon bowfront tank yesterday that I want to put discuss in with plants. This is some good reading. Thanks for the information guys. Without thread hijacking, could someone suggest an led lighting system for me that will go with my discuss? Feel free to pm me. Thanks
Biomarine2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #18
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Would like to help, but I'm not familiar with LED lighting.
However, the important thing is to keep it simple and low-tech if you're just starting out with discus, and since they don't need strong light, and neither do the hardy plants you'll want to work with in a low-tech planted discus tank, then just get yourself a reasonably watted LED set-up that will fit nicely for the size of your 55 gal tank, and light up your 'beauties' adequately.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #19
Warlock
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biomarine2000 View Post
I just bought a 55 gallon bowfront tank yesterday that I want to put discuss in with plants. This is some good reading. Thanks for the information guys. Without thread hijacking, could someone suggest an led lighting system for me that will go with my discuss? Feel free to pm me. Thanks
buildmyled.com

he is in Austin, and has been testing LED for Discus tanks
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:13 AM   #20
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
buildmyled.com

That's real helpful, Skip - I'll have to check that out.
I've never read or heard of anyone talking about using LED lights for discus tanks. Sounds good.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:30 AM   #21
Biomarine2000
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
buildmyled.com

That's a great site thank you. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. I'll be sure to post some pics if I get one.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #22
Biomarine2000
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Would like to help, but I'm not familiar with LED lighting.
However, the important thing is to keep it simple and low-tech if you're just starting out with discus, and since they don't need strong light, and neither do the hardy plants you'll want to work with in a low-tech planted discus tank, then just get yourself a reasonably watted LED set-up that will fit nicely for the size of your 55 gal tank, and light up your 'beauties' adequately.
Is there a t5 ho setup you would recommend? The tank came with a t5 light strip. Will it be enough to light some hardy plants?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #23
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

You have a 55 gal tank which came a T5 light strip - Is it T5 NO or T5 HO, how many bulbs, and what's the wattage of the bulb(s) ?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #24
Biomarine2000
Algae Grower

I just got this setup for 140 from a local pet shop. Aquatic Life Light T5 HO 4-Lamp 4-Lunar Aquarium Light, 36-Inch http://amzn.com/B001V95TGY
Old 04-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #25
dkreef
Planted Member

Can someone explain the difference in caring for wild vs tank bred discus? I know the color is different but what about caring?

I also see ones from asia like thailand and singapore and some are hormoned and some are not. Whats difference and pros and cons?
dkreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #26
Paxx
Algae Grower

Generally speaking, wild discus properly captured and transported are no more difficult than tank bred IF the water conditions match what they are used too (soft, tannic water with a low TDS count). Wild discus may be preferred by breeders because a broad gene pool is a good thing among other things.

Tank bred Discus generally are adapted to the water conditions the breeder provides. These water conditions may (or may not) match or be "close enough" to a wide variety of local water supplies. This doesn't so much mean that tank bred Discus are hardier but they may certainly be adapted to a more reasonably obtainable water condition (RO/DI etc.).

Know your breeders. Good ones cull the herd well, other can let deformities or other problems slip by.
Paxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:53 AM   #27
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biomarine2000 View Post
I just got this setup for 140 from a local pet shop. Aquatic Life Light T5 HO 4-Lamp 4-Lunar Aquarium Light, 36-Inch http://amzn.com/B001V95TGY
That sounds like a good lighting set-up for your tank. If the price is right for you, go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreef View Post
Can someone explain the difference in caring for wild vs tank bred discus? I know the color is different but what about caring?

I also see ones from asia like thailand and singapore and some are hormoned and some are not. Whats difference and pros and cons?
That is a rather difficult question to answer.

Caring for wilds, at least initially, may prove to be somewhat more problematic than caring for domestic farm-bred fish, and dependent on the supplier, what species of wilds, and their size.

Wild discus may or may not have been properly de-wormed, for example, and may carry some pathogens that farm-bred fish would not normally carry, so a bit of a risk there. And they are more disposed to rely upon, as was pointed out in a recent post above, different water quality and conditions than domestics can, and do, readily adopt to.

Overall, I believe it's quite a bit safer to work with domestics, as opposed to wilds, for many & varied reasons. Doesn't mean one shouldn't try it - just expect the potential for a touch more difficulty keeping wilds.

As for farm-bred & raised fish, Malaysia, and Singapore to a lesser extent, are reputed to produce excellent quality fish, whereas Thailand, whether deserved or not, seems to have a current rep for supplying less than top-quality fish, with some breeders being said to use hormones to enhance coloration, etc. - not a desirable practice.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #28
dkreef
Planted Member

is there a big danger in runing co2 with discus?
can co2 overdose really happen quite often?
dkreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #29
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

There is very little risk if one is familiar both with using pressurized CO2 properly, and keeping discus.
If one is new to discus, and does not carefully utilize and control the CO2, there is risk to the discus by way of larger, rapid swings in pH that could occur from the CO2 use, more so than the danger of CO2 overdose per se.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #30
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

I have a pair of discus in my 55g planted tank my turquoise seems to be abusing my sunrise discus he hides a lot should I get more discus and if so how many?
du3ce is online now   Reply With Quote