New 60L planted setup!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Stephanie1985

PTrader: (0/0%)

New 60L planted setup!

Hello! New forum member here looking for some advice.
I have been keeping fish for many years, and very sadly just lost the entire contents of my 60L community tank that had been set-up for 5 years I'm not 100% sure what happened as I was away on holiday and my partner was caring for the fish, and one day they were swimming, and the next they were all dead. Apparently there had been several power cuts with the power coming on and off so I am guessing either the heater shorted and cooked them, or there was some kind of electrical surge. As a result, I have decided to completely restart my tank.

Although I had plants in my old tank it was more of a tank with some plants, rather than a planted tank and I want to focus more on getting a nice planted set-up before adding any fish.
So I have decided on putting down 2 inches of eco-complete substrate, and then 1 inch of sand.
Can anyone give me some advice on what to do next? I.e some good plants to start off with, I don't have any C02 input as of yet, and what kind of fertilizers to start off with?
I hope you guys can help!
Stephanie1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

First, you'll need to figure out what it is you're looking to grow or have your tank look like. Do you want some branching wood in there? Rocks for the hardscape? Both? Lots of rootfeeders (like crypts and amazon swords)? Or mostly water column feeders (like stems and ferns)? Start thinking about the kind of plants you'd like to use, about how you'd like the tank to look and feel, and how much time per day/week you want to put into maintaining it. Do some sketches of how you think the tank would look, where plants and hardscape would go.

My first tank 3 years back I just bought a bunch of plants and a hunk of wood and threw it all into the tank and it limped along for a long time. When I redid it, I put just a little more thought into it and it went a hundred times better.

So, as far as suggestions, figure out what you're comfortable with and work off that. I personally love java ferns (bunch of different types) and crypts (ditto), as they're both easy families of plants to grow and hard to mess up with. But try taking a look at the Tropica site for information on plants as well; they've got a very good database of information (which includes a difficulty rating for each plant), even if it only lists the plants they sell.

And depending on the kinds of plants you get, you may not even need fertilizers. Though some root tabs for heavy root feeders will probably be a good idea if you get any.

Best of luck!
SomeCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Stephanie1985

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for the reply :-)

I've had java ferns before and found them fairly easy to get on with so there will definitely be some in there, but I will do some research. I've got a lovely bit of driftwood from my tank already, but I think some smaller round rocks would be good too!
Stephanie1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
new tank, new tank setup, substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.