Root tab noob
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 04-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Root tab noob

I'm picking up some root tabs today after work. I have no idea what I'm looking for our how to use them. They are going in my evolve 4 which is lightly planted. And under the dwarf baby tears mat. Help!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
Kirbybtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

I'm a newbie too. I believe root tabs are basically the same. I started using API root tabs sold at the pet store. I another brand off the Internet for much cheaper. In fact many folks sell their root tabs on this site. Very reasonably prices.
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:00 AM   #3
ChadKruger
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

For fert tabs I really don't think there's much of a difference. I compare contents of the ones the lfs has and it seems all the same. I use what ever is on sale. I haven't been doing plants that long so take it for what it is.
ChadKruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
Lupine
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadKruger View Post
For fert tabs I really don't think there's much of a difference. I compare contents of the ones the lfs has and it seems all the same. I use what ever is on sale. I haven't been doing plants that long so take it for what it is.
So here's my 2. LFS's seem to only carry crap, at least where I live and apparently others too. I got some API Root Tabs because that's all I could find locally. Once home, I compared the analysis of them to that of SeaChem's Flourish Tabs, and Flourish has several more minerals in it. Here's a breakdown:

API- Total N=3%(water soluble N .53%)
Phos =1.0%
Potash =1.0%
Iron =5.0%
Derived from Urea Formaldehyde, Mono Potassium Phosphate, Iron EDTA (Ferric ethylenediamine tetraacetate)

Flourish- N =0.28%
Available Phos = 0.17%
Potash= 0.16%
Calcium =14.9%
Magnesium= 0.06%
Sulfur =12.2%
Boron = 0.029%
Chlorine= 0.55%
Cobalt= 0.001%
Copper= 0.001%
Iron= 2.2%
Manganese =0.23%
Molybdenum 0.0009%
Sodium = 0.14%
Zinc= 0.0024%
Derived from: Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Magnesium Chloride, Ferrous Gluconate, Cobalt Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Boric Acid, Sodium Molybdate, Zinc Sulfate, and Protein Hydrolysates.

OK, well that was fun to type (not really, so I hope this helps someone!). I will definitely be getting my money back on the API stuff and ordering some Flourish for about $1 more. It seems worth it to me. Flourish has less N, but since I keep fish I think that's a mute point. For more K I am going to add Flourish Potassium, and I'm also going to use FlorinMulti and AquaVitro Envy. But I suppose since they are so different, you could use both brands of tabs.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote