11.4g Riparium - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #16
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

very nice!
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #17
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (142/100%)

How are those plants doing after one day? Have they started to perk up?
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #18
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptKeeper54 View Post
Great setup. I'm diggin the size and scape of this riparium you got going. I got to try something like this soon.
Thanks, and you definitely should. You've got quite the collection of tanks too. You could do a tiny one in that schuber wright tank you have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4n View Post
very nice!
Thanks Han!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
How are those plants doing after one day? Have they started to perk up?
I can't wait until mine fills in like yours. The foliage on the Ruellia is very pretty, I love the deep green. And yes, the plants are definitely looking better. The milkweed is turning towards the light instead of drooping like it was in the initial photo. I ended up misting the aluminum plant and draping Saran Wrap over it which really seemed to help. I'll take another picture in a day or two to show the difference.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #19
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nothing but good news today. Plants are doing great, there are even some buds on the milkweed. The aluminum plant is doing well, roots are already about 1/2" long and it's much less wilted. I had the saran wrap over it for a few days, but took it off yesterday. A few of the leaves are still a little droopy without it, but not bad. Haven't messed with the underwater part yet so I didn't bother with a fts, but here is a shot from the top:

And the buds:

There's another one where you could actually see the orange flowers already, but it was too close to the light to get a picture. I need to raise them up a bit since the plants are already as tall as them.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #20
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Those plants have perked up really nice.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #21
FisheriesOmen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Makes me excited to get my plants!
The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
FisheriesOmen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #22
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What a difference a few days can make. The riparium plants have really taken off since I posted last.

I'm really amazed, especially when compared with how it looked only ten days ago. Here's a fts showing some of the changes I made this weekend:

I switched out the sponge filter for a canister because the bubbling noise drives me crazy. I just have the stock eheim pipes on there now, but the plants hide them pretty well. I might ask for a set of Do! Aqua poppy pipes for my birthday though. I added a bit of a slope to the sand so it's not quite as deep in the front. Moved the rocks forward a bit and took out the wood. Added some ludwigia in the back which will hopefully get nice and full after a few trimmings and then get some emergent growth. I almost used hygro kompact like crazydaz suggested, but after seeing all the pinholes in the lower leaves I stuck it in a hob on another tank instead. Maybe I'll have better luck with it in there. Last thing (I think) was to change out the brooder lamps for a Ray 2. I stole it from my 18" cube which is currently just being used as a grow out tank and stuck a brooder on there instead.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #23
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry guys, I don't know why the fts is sideways. Or at least it is for me. It's the correct orientation in my photobucket. I'm also seeing an old version of my signature instead of my current one. Is TPT having issues? Or my browser? I tried a hard refresh and nothing...
Old 04-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #24
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Another week or so gone, and a ton more growth.

The ludwigia in the tank had almost reached the water level, but I trimmed it this morning and replanted the tops to make it fill in some more around the big rock.

I think I'm going to trim the milkweed back pretty short since right now it's just two individual stems. They've also lost a lot of their lower leaves. Is this from lack of light? Should I upgrade to a T5HO or two? I thought the Ray 2 would be plenty, but maybe not. The Ruellia looks healthy enough, but hasn't done a lot. Maybe lighting related as well?

Mr. Fish likes his tank. He had a huge bubble nest in there the other day underneath one of the aluminum plant leaves. He killed all his snails though. Luckily it looks like they weren't really needed since I switched to RO. No diatoms so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #25
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

loving this tank!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:39 AM   #26
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Yes, ^+1. This tank has become very nice in a hurry! Don't worry much about the Ruellia; it's a slow grower for me too, but it's a nice plant. Keep the milkweed trimmed as it will shade itself out and the lower leaves can fall off.

Brilliant job! It's very peaceful, almost reminds me of a creek side scene. Thanks for sharing this!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #27
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
loving this tank!
Thanks! I do too. I'm really happy with how it's going so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Yes, ^+1. This tank has become very nice in a hurry! Don't worry much about the Ruellia; it's a slow grower for me too, but it's a nice plant. Keep the milkweed trimmed as it will shade itself out and the lower leaves can fall off.

Brilliant job! It's very peaceful, almost reminds me of a creek side scene. Thanks for sharing this!
Thank you! Thanks for the tip on the milkweed, I'll give it a trim tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #28
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

That's looking great! Nice work growing those plants.

You can cut that Mexican milkweed back a lot. If you leave just a few leaf nodes above the roots it will sprout again and grow back more bushy. The cuttings are easy to root if you just suspend the cut end in water.

It looks like the Phalaris ribbon grass is also starting out good. As that plant starts to grow new leaves you can start cutting out some of the messy foliage that it has now. The new leaves will have a more organized and tidy appearance.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #29
jczz1232
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Looking great! I would like to do something like this but I can't my fish are too jumpy. One time, one even jump out the tank during feeding time but he lived.

Last edited by jczz1232; 05-02-2013 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: can't
jczz1232 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #30
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Devin! I cut the milkweed back this morning. There were four stems, two really tall ones that I cut down pretty low and two shorter ones that I left alone for now. What's the best way to trim the ribbon grass? Do I trim it back and let it regrow or just trim individual leaves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczz1232 View Post
Looking great! I would like to do something like this but I can my fish are too jumpy. One time, one even jump out the tank during feeding time but he lived.
Mine is really jumpy too, but the lowered waterline has kept him in. That or he just likes the tank. He jumped out once at feeding time in a different tank and my husband has refused to feed him since. He thought for sure he killed my fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.