Cheap T5 lighting? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-12-2003, 04:26 PM   #16
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

OMG, I was staring at that picture looking from the T5 to the PC bulbs and back to the T5 and back to the PC bulbs. After staring at that picture for a minute it suddenly dawned on me that there were two other bulbs in that pic.

Man, what a difference!
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2003, 04:34 PM   #17
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

I know... keep in mind that cameras lcd's, images and computer screens have a limited range of contrast, so in reality the T8's are not that dim, just when compared to the other, brighter bulbs it seems pretty bad...
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2003, 06:19 PM   #18
NOLACLS
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
I know... keep in mind that cameras lcd's, images and computer screens have a limited range of contrast, so in reality the T8's are not that dim, just when compared to the other, brighter bulbs it seems pretty bad...
Dont lie...the T8s are that dim :P

j/k
NOLACLS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2003, 05:14 AM   #19
heaven2
Algae Grower

Thanks Wasserpest! Now that I've looked closely at the T5s I see the pins much closer together compared to the T12s.

I think I found some T5 endcaps at Rona this morning (the floor clerk knew zip about them) but they were more than $6 per end. One end cap is springloaded (pushes back like a toilet paper core holder) which I suppose helps hold the light through pressure. Seems way overpriced to me.

I need to increase the light over my 90 gallon 24" deep tank which is currently running with only 80 watts - 4 * 20 watts. (Its just enough to grow crypts, anubias, bolbitus and java fern.) Canopy at 35.5" is too short to allow for 36" bulbs so I'm stuck with the shorter bulbs.

I am torn. I don't know whether to go with T5's or if I should try the ODNO route on T8s or T12s or VHO? My canopy is only 9" front to back. and the T12s are staggered and spaced equidistant apart.

Suggestions?
heaven2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2003, 03:50 PM   #20
Wasserpest
Are these real?

heaven,
How long is your tank? If it is 48" or more, throw out your canopy and get one that fits the tank. If I understand correctly, you use very short bulbs, so only the center of the tank is lighted sufficiently?
For a 48" long tank that is 24" deep, there are many choices. You can go the T8/12 road, which gives you about 130-160W, which in combination with excellent reflectors (?) would be considered low light, but allow you to grow a lot of different plants. You could overdrive them, which would increase the intensity by about 50%, getting into a range where you can grow more demanding plants.
Or you use the T5's mentioned, which are brighter than the "regular" fluorescents, and due to their diameter are more efficient with a suitable reflector.
To go the high-light route, you should check out PC's like from AH Supply. This is a little more costly and gets fairly hot, but you get a lot of watts and good reflectors so you can grow the ever famous Glossostigma :mrgreen:
I don't see much advantage to VHO lights, they are expensive, get very hot, are not so efficient (lumen/watt), and overdriving NO bulbs gets you the same light for less.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:31 PM   #21
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

I feel the need to clarify; it should be noted that a 54 watt HO T5 48" bulb is essentially the same as a 55 Watt Compact Flourescent bulb. They are both T5 bulbs, its just that the Compact Flourescent bulbs are bent into a "U" shape. Aside from that, there is no difference between them.

T5's are an excellent way to go because of the low cost for initial purchase, the lower replacement bulb cost, and their efficiency.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2003, 05:59 PM   #22
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Are you sure Gareth? I read this statement about T5's being straightened out PCs a couple of times, however looking at a PC bulb and a T5 they have different diameters, with the T5 exactly being 5/8 of an inch, while a typical 13W PC is 4/8 ("T4"), and the 10W PC from Walmart would be a "T3". I don't have any 55W PC's to compare with.

In any case... my dream bulb would be a "straightened out" 10W PC bulb as they sell at Walmart. They have two U-loops, so if those would be linear, you would get an amazingly efficient and bright light. Go T3!!! :mrgreen:
Old 11-13-2003, 06:49 PM   #23
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

The 55 watt PC's are 5/8ths of an inch thick. They are just T5's :-)
Old 11-13-2003, 06:52 PM   #24
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Most of you probably already know:
Tube diameter is specified in eighths. T5 is five eights. T8 is an inch. T12 is 1 1/4". I guess I'm being reduntant. They call me Captain Obvious.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:56 PM   #25
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Straight from GE's Web site

These are the 55 watt PC's we've all been raving about (note the bulb type)
====================================
Subcategory Plug-in 4-Pin High Lumen Biax®
Product Code 45859
Description F55BX/AR/FS/BULK
Watts 55
Average Rated Life 10000
Lumens (Initial) 4800
Lumens (Mean) 4080
Color Temperature (K) 9325
Color Rendering Index (Ra) CRI 67
Bulb Type BiaxL (T5)
Base Type 2G11
Nominal Length (In.) 20.7000
Nominal Length (mm) 525.000
Sales Unit UPC 043168458597
Case UPC 043168458597
Case Quantity 25
Additional Information Fresh and Salt Water Phosphor

And here are there Linear T5's
====================================
Subcategory T5 Starcoat High Output
Product Code 90211
Description F54W/T5/865/40
Watts 54
Lumens (Initial) 5000
Lumens (Mean) 4700
Average Rated Life 20000
Color Temperature (K) 6500
Color Rendering Index (Ra) CRI 85
Bulb Type T5
Base Type Miniature BiPin (G5)
Nominal Length (In.) 45.2000
Sales Unit UPC 043168902113
Case UPC 043168902113
Case Quantity 40
Additional Information S/P Ratio: 2.2

As you can see, the T5's are actually a little brighter, with the same bulb diameter, and similar wattage. Unfortunately there isnt really a direct comparison for colour or spectrum, as the CF bulbs are using different phosphors, but you get the idea.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:11 PM   #26
NOLACLS
Algae Grower

The T5's you listed are brighter because they are the HO's the one that are in this post are not the HO's so I would bet they are a little less bright. But the non HO's are much cheeper (I think) to set up over the HO's
NOLACLS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2003, 07:32 PM   #27
Wasserpest
Are these real?

I stand corrected! Thanks for all the info. The T5s I am using are 38 Watt and sufficiently bright for my purposes, HO bulbs I assume will get quite a bit hotter, and I don't like that...
Old 11-13-2003, 07:33 PM   #28
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

For comparison Purposes

The GE 9325k bulbs (55 Watt CF) are $39 Canadian each
The GE 6500k T5 bulbs (HO 54 Watt) are $16 Canadian each

So the HO T5's are brighter, and cheaper then CF.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:36 PM   #29
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

As far as temperature is concerned the HO T5's are about the same temperature as an equivalent CF bulb.

The standard output T5's (38W) are a little dimmer, but you really cant beat the value. I've been trying to get T5's for over a year now but I couldnt find any that were cost effective in Canada. There were some in the states, but getting them across the border is just far too costly.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:37 PM   #30
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLACLS
The T5's you listed are brighter because they are the HO's the one that are in this post are not the HO's so I would bet they are a little less bright.
That is true, I was simply trying to get a "watt per watt" comparison of the bulbs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.