29 g Set up advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-02-2013, 02:23 AM   #1
Qwedfg
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

29 g Set up advice

Hello everyone, I just bought a 29 gallon from Petco as I could not pass up the dollar per gallon sale! The plans for this tank are to create a planted community tank. I am hoping I can list some of the equipment I am planning on buying just to double check I am on the right track. Mostly my concern is with the filter and lights This is what I plan on buying.

Coralife Aqualight T5 Freshwater Dual Lamp Fixture
SunSun HW302

My plant list is mostly going to be Crypts I think but sometimes I am not sure if I want to go more high tech. Would this light be classified as high or low light over a 29 g? I have a Aquatec CO2 fixture in my closet I could use if I decide for higher light but I dont want to battle annoying algae on any slow growing plants if it is high light.

My final question is regarding substrate. I definitely am interested in getting some dwarf cories but have heard they dont like ecocomplete as it hurts their mouths? What would be a good substrate choice? I was thinking of using Miracle grow under ecocomplete but if there is a better choice please let me know.
Qwedfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Qwedfg
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Ok .... so I have made some progress in what I am going to be purchasing for this tank.

Substrate - Fluval Stratum (1 16 lb and 1 8lb bag)
Filter - SunSun 302
Light - 30" Aqueon 2 bulb t5no fixture
CO2 - Aquatech regulator with paintball tank
Heater - Hydor 150w inline

Will I need to fertilize with this set up or should it be ok with just the Fluval stratum? If so what should my dosing regime look like? I have a whole set up of the Seachem line lying around I could use but was hoping not to dose.
Qwedfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
MamaFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have the Aqueon fixture. I would recommend ditching the "colormax" bulb and replacing it with a second 6.7K bulb if you haven't already done so. I'm not a lighting expert, but I'm pretty sure that puts you in low-medium light with the 2 6.7k bulbs.
I would think that Fluval Stratum would be fine for cories. I think its just particularly sharp gravel or blasting sand that you have to watch out for.
You'll probably still want to use ferts. Maybe root tabs would be a good middle of the road option for you since you want to do mainly crypts?
MamaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
smcoyle87
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yeah I think the Stratum is good for now. As your plants start to establish themselves you could add some of the Seachem line. Just see how it goes for a while and only add extra ferts if you notice the plants starting to suffer.
smcoyle87 is offline   Reply With Quote