saying goodbye to the "hail mary" of gas exchange - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 04-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #16
Rainer
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

saying goodbye to the "hail mary" of gas exchange

Mine is angled upward, creating ridges on the water surface¹. This and attempting to maintain 10-20 ppm nitrate have allowed me to keep a thriving colony of inverts in a high tech tank for the first time, including successfully breeding shrimp.

The filter is on full blast and I'm also using a nano power head, so flow is noticeable.

The downside is that now I can't keep slow moving showpiece fish like dwarf gouramis. They have a great deal of character so it's a real loss.

¹ Despite this, I still occasionally have a light protein film.
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #17
Skunky
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledGoat View Post
I guess I could google it, but since I'm already here.... why is duckweed security?
I once read that duckweed can help with the transfer of oxygen to the water column. Most people don't want it because it grows really fast and can be hard to impossible to get rid of. If it is not controlled, it can entirely cover the surface and created a barrier to the atmosphere, though.

I could be wrong about its usefulness as a surface plant. Maybe I should google it.

I hope things are going well with your CO2.
Skunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky View Post
I once read that duckweed can help with the transfer of oxygen to the water column. Most people don't want it because it grows really fast and can be hard to impossible to get rid of. If it is not controlled, it can entirely cover the surface and created a barrier to the atmosphere, though.

I could be wrong about its usefulness as a surface plant. Maybe I should google it.

I hope things are going well with your CO2.

all aquatic plants to my knowledge send oxygen to their root zones. this is beneficial to the bacteria growing there and to oxidze heavy metals to protect themselves.
so in essence yes a floating plant will help. probably more than a submerged plant simply because a floatin plant recieves more carbon and light energy at the surface and can theirfore photosynthesize more, = hopefully more oxygen
their generally growth rates sure do support that hypothesis
Old 04-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
Rainer
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Default Re: saying goodbye to the "hail mary" of gas exchange

That might be beneficial with DWL and frogbit, but the microns-long roots of duckweed?
Old 04-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
Mine is angled upward, creating ridges on the water surface¹. This and attempting to maintain 10-20 ppm nitrate have allowed me to keep a thriving colony of inverts in a high tech tank for the first time, including successfully breeding shrimp.

The filter is on full blast and I'm also using a nano power head, so flow is noticeable.

The downside is that now I can't keep slow moving showpiece fish like dwarf gouramis. They have a great deal of character so it's a real loss.

¹ Despite this, I still occasionally have a light protein film.
You're my new hero. I'm a big fan of footnotes. Never seen one in a forum post before. That made my day!
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #21
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky View Post
Most people don't want it because it grows really fast and can be hard to impossible to get rid of.

please forgive me for being so dense, but if it's a floating plant, why would it be any harder than scooping it out?
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote