Mr Aqua Frameless at Natick, Aquaful - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Massachusetts

Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #31
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (54/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
$599.99
48" x 18" x 18"

Screw that, i like rimless but not that much lol

Yeah by appt only...
Is that the low iron one. I think ADA sells same size for $699.99
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #32
aquaful
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Yeah--my store is only ~400 sq ft so I prefer not to stock too much as it can be a tripping hazard . I do try to keep quite a few Mr. Aqua tanks on hand though because they're very popular and my remaining stockpile of seiryu stone. I'm always happy to find ways to get whatever you guys need.

A quick word on ADA vs Mr. Aqua pricing--it looks like there is a bit of confusion.

I work with ADG, one of the NA distributors for ADA. The ADA 120P, which is the equivalent size of the Mr. Aqua 48"x18"x18" that you're referring to, has a minimum list price of $874.99. That's the minimum of what I'm allowed to sell it at (back in 2012). So you're looking at $599.99 vs $874.99 not $599.99 vs $699.99. However, I did a quick search and I saw that Adana (another NA distributor for ADA) sells it for $699.99 so maybe prices have come down this year, but you then have to factor in about $200-$250 for freight. To be honest, it's always awkwards working with distributors that sell direct. It really doesn't make sense for a retail store to compete with its own distributor. This is probably why a quite a few planted stores that carry ADA end up not carrying ADA anymore.

I looked into the Adana website more and though they have low prices, once you factor in shipping it's quite high. For example, the ADA 60P lists at $129.99 but then they charge $70 for shipping to MA. Don't be fooled! It's like ebay auctions that have a low buy it now but then they charge a ridiculous amount for "shipping and handling". ADG tries a different approach selling the 60P for $187.95 but saying "free shipping". This is all marketing.

So this brings us to another price comparison to consider.
Mr. Aqua 17.4G Low Iron @ $129.99
ADA 60P 17.4G Low Iron @ (approx with shipping) $187.95

Same dimensions, both low iron.

I strongly believe in providing options to everyone which is why I sell both Mr Aqua and ADA but I can confidently say that Mr. Aqua does not -demand- a premium for the brand.

Ultimately, I hope that you guys understand that I started my store as a consumer frustrated with local options and that my goal is to make things fair to consumers and disrupt the silliness that results from other stores doing what they do simply because they think they can do it. If you find a better price elsewhere I am always happy to price match, and if I can't I'm happy to explain why. When I price anything, I use the distributors list pricing as a guide, and then I look online for anything lower. I pride myself on being an open communication store and having "online pricing" available locally.

As always, happy to answer questions and clarify things.

Anthony

NOTE: One interesting thing to point out is that ADA low iron glass appears light blue at the edge, whereas Mr. Aqua appears more white.
aquaful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #33
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

FYI...
ADG will be no longer carrying ADA products once there done unloading if you didn't know that already.
ADA terminated there contract with ADG.

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #34
aquaful
Algae Grower

Yeah I know, they also terminated Frank!
Old 09-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #35
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (54/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaful View Post
...The ADA 120P, which is the equivalent size of the Mr. Aqua 48"x18"x18" that you're referring to, has a minimum list price of $874.99. That's the minimum of what I'm allowed to sell it at (back in 2012). So you're looking at $599.99 vs $874.99 not $599.99 vs $699.99. However, I did a quick search and I saw that Adana (another NA distributor for ADA) sells it for $699.99 so maybe prices have come down this year, but you then have to factor in about $200-$250 for freight....
I know this is a MA thread, so is that what your referring to? If your outside of MA or not near your store you really can't make that comparison unless shipping is free.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #36
aquaful
Algae Grower

As I mentioned in the post, my price list was from 2012 and under ADG I was not authorized to sell the ADA 120P for anything less than $874.99. I don't know what the price list is like for 2013, and in fact there won't be one from ADG anymore.

I have no affiliation with ADANA-USA and was making a point that to buy the ADA 120P right now from their website would cost an additional $200+ or so in freight (to MA) bringing the total to something near $874.99.

Freight is location dependent so you are correct, it would not make sense to make that comparison -without indicating the location-. Since I did indicate the location of (MA) I believe it made sense to say what I said. If someone can figure out how to get an ADA 120P for $699.99 over here I'd be happy to investigate further but as far as I understand that's going to be impossible, at least going off of last year's price list. Seeing as how ADA distributors sell direct, they have little incentive to make prices work for retail stores. The whole model is broken. I won't get into the specifics of it but after you factor in freight to ship to a retail store it's pretty much ridiculous and I might as well just give you money

Any case I'm not exactly sure what the point is that you're trying to make. I think most people understand that shopping online tends to involve a shipping cost which is either calculated and shown to you or is embedded into the price and marked as free shipping and that the actual cost of shipping depends on distance from you to the seller.

Last edited by aquaful; 09-19-2013 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #37
ThatGuyWithTheFish
Suspended

PTrader: (23/100%)

What ADA do you have?

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #38
aquaful
Algae Grower

I don't have any ADA left at the store.

I have (had) one ADA 60P with classic gunmetal cabinet and Aquasky 602 LED light, lily pipes, etc on display. Due to an underwhelming demand for ADA I did not choose to carry more than that. I ordered a LOT of aquasoil at the same time for someone but has all sold since then.

I'm not certain about the future of carrying ADA stuff especially since ADG stopped working with ADA.

I'm glad that Mr. Aqua / Up Aqua has stepped up a lot over the past years and are producing high quality comparables to ADA. Mr. Aqua is working on glass lily pipes and such so I'm anxious to get those to try when they're ready. I'm pretty sure that they're going to be a LOT more affordable than ADA. They also have a great shrimp substrate that has been reviewed by a lot of breeders.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #39
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Would you see yourself carry any more hardscaping materials such as different stone types and driftwood? I think apart from good rimless tank options, this is severely lacking in the MA area.
Hobbes1911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #40
aquaful
Algae Grower

I'm open to the idea of carrying more variety of hardscaping materials. I'm a bit more than halfway through the seiryu that I carry so that makes more room for other stuff! If you can give me an idea of what you're looking for, like specific types of stone or particular types of driftwood, I can look into it.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #41
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

Okho, seiryu, ryuoh, lava, (manten), slate, etc. I think you would probably have to get a subset first and see what sells. Personally, I would definitely buy some okho, seiryu and lava (lava I'd actually buy in larger quantities, especially if you can get smaller stone pebbles to use under the substrate to support slopes and provide surface area for bacterial growth).

Wood wise, I think it is very benefitial to be able to look at the pieces independently and determine what will work. I think driftwood that is nice and branchy (I think ADA calls it horn wood) works best. The large solid pieces I've always found too limiting. Also, I like manzanita, but the tiny branches everywhere I find distracting and more difficult to work with.

Just my two cents. I understand that cost-benefit has to drive your decision. Also, how does one obtain an appointment with you for this weekend? I'd love to come look at the seiryu stones you still have.

Last edited by Hobbes1911; 09-19-2013 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: more
Old 09-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #42
aquaful
Algae Grower

To set up an appointment with me, you just use my website http://aquaful.com
There's a link on the front page after the intro paragraph. I am very flexible with times. I know it sounds awkward to set up an appointment. Thanks for your insight on materials!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #43
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

Thank you for responding and being so open about your business. Just for these reasons I feel compelled to keep my business local.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:38 AM   #44
Bettafins
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Best of luck to you Anthony. You get it. I am not in the area and probably won't get to see your store but I wish more retailers were like you.
Bettafins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #45
aquaful
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the kind words. I am finishing up a dealer sign up with adana-usa so I should be able to get everything they have, manten, ryuoh, ADA if the price makes sense etc. I'll see what recommendations that they have for driftwood but I think that I may reach out to independent collectors as well. I'll post a new thread for when I get more hardscaping stuff I think we're straying too far off the topic of Mr Aqua!