Big Al's Fliter Floss = good stuff
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Big Al's Online

Old 09-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Jetbo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Big Al's Fliter Floss = good stuff

I got a big 20 sq ft bag of this filter floss a few weeks ago http://www.bigalspets.com/fish/filte...-20-sq-ft.html

It's working out great in my Aquaclear HOB filters and should last me a loooog time. It's a great value and something I plan to keep buying in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Big Al's Online
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetbo View Post
I got a big 20 sq ft bag of this filter floss a few weeks ago http://www.bigalspets.com/fish/filte...-20-sq-ft.html

It's working out great in my Aquaclear HOB filters and should last me a loooog time. It's a great value and something I plan to keep buying in the future.
Glad you like it! We use a ton of it in our stores, and any staff that have aquariums use it in their filters as well. Great product at a great price point!
Old 05-05-2013, 02:45 AM   #3
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have a couple of marineland HOB filters and currently use the cartridges with carbon in them. Could I use this filter floss to replace the blue stuff that comes on the cartridges? I was thinking of ripping the blue stuff off and then attaching this floss to the plastic part left from the cartridge. How thick is the floss? It seems like it may be pretty thick and maybe inhibit the flow of my filter too much. Any insight would surely help.

On another note, BigAl's is awesome and has the lowest prices and greatest selection around. I used you guys a few years back when I kept turtles. Just recently got back into aquariums and such with some fish and shrimp, and I have a hard time not ordering something from you guys every couple of weeks. QandA section of your sight is helpful as well, I've asked a few questions and gotten quick responses about specific products. The Planted Tank forums and BigAls, 2 of my favorite things here in one place, haha. So thanks for all you do!

Dolfan
Old 05-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Yep, it's good stuff at a good price. I cut it to fit both of my Eheims instead of using the expensive Eheim pads.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
syzygy9
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Is it better to cut it and leave it in approx 1" thick pads or to pull it apart into a fluffy cloud of floss?
Old 06-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Big Al's Online
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Is it better to cut it and leave it in approx 1" thick pads or to pull it apart into a fluffy cloud of floss?
It depends on the application. For canister filters, hang on filters, or prefilters for sumps, it is generally best to cut it and leave it in it's natural pad shape. If you are using it for a corner filter, a prefilter cage, or other oddly shaped application where you need to fill a space completely, pulling it into fluffy clumps may be a better option.