Mts
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Illinois

Old 04-02-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
Finkelstein
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Mts

There's a guy in Woodridge selling a dozen MTS for $2.00. I don't know how many he has, but I'm picking up a dozen tomorrow. I found him on Craigslist, so I haven't seen them yet. I'm not going to give out his phone number here though. PM for info.
Finkelstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

ok, I don't know what MTS is. i'm googling it (not being a total lazy ass) but i'm still not getting it.

looks like it's a snail of some sort?
melanoids - tuberculata... what!?? why would I want these?
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Derek1126
Algae Grower

Malaysian Trumpet Snail. Melanoides Tuberculata.
Breed like rabbits and you could have more than there are stars.
Derek1126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
aprildawn
Algae Grower

so true. i start out with about a dozen & i must have a thousand now. getting rid of them is hard.
aprildawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you can't find them anywhere else then that might be an alright price, but most people will give you them, they do multiply like crazy.
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

hmm... ok... but I'm still left wondering; why would I want these? are they good for something? or just purdy tuh look at?
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledGoat View Post
hmm... ok... but I'm still left wondering; why would I want these? are they good for something? or just purdy tuh look at?
To keep the substrate aerated if you have sand or a sand\soil combo. But i dont think thats much of an issue unless you start it out too deep from the start. Im going to redo my tank, and Im definitely not using them again, they multiple WAY too much and are out of control in my tank.
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
Derek1126
Algae Grower

Most people give it away for free. They usually hide with the light on and crawl all over on the glass when the light is out. There are some benefits of having them but not worth it if you can't stand with their numbers. Nerite snails do a better job in cleaning the glass surface without the population problem as they can't breed in fresh water but then they have another problem of laying white eggs all over your driftwood and rocks. You can introduce assassin snails to kill the MTS but assassin snails multiply too.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Finkelstein
Algae Grower

Unfortunately for me, I've been unable to find free MTS nearby, and this guy is literally down the street from my house. I do need some sand turners though, so I do want to have them. I'll give them a couple days head start before the assassins show up though. From what i've read thus far, they should help with my diatoms. I'll be adjusting my flow to help with that as well though.
Finkelstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
shinycard255
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Default Mts

MTS are great snails. As other said, they help aerate your sand substrate to get rid of air pockets. I started with about 10 for my shrimp tank and have more than that now. I don't find them as annoying as pond snails.

$2 for a dozen is a very reasonable price, but people give these guys out for free. That's how I got mine

Edit: I'm sure if AA got their hands on them, they would sell them for $5 each just like they do with their very poorly colored RCS
The Fraternity of Dirt #42
Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
shinycard255 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Many TPT in ChicagoLand Hold a Meet & Greet/ Parking Lot swap at the GCCA Swap meet.

I give MTS away on a regular basis. I cull my tank 4-6Xs a year. Nothing wrong with $2 though. That way at least it was worth the local sellers time to bag them up for you.

You could post a WTB on the Parking Lot thread here on the Illinois forum.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #12
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Mts are similar to the pest snails you can get at your LFS. Only difference you can do more with mts. Cali blackworms also work great for aerating your mud tank, also makes a meal for your fishes.
dtejeda.arias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Tried checking lfs and petco/petsmart? Sometimes they have tanks infested with MTS and will toss in a few for you for free if you ask nicely.

I got mine from a ROAK here for the price of a stamp. A dozen or so turn into billions over the course of a couple of months. I dunno if assassins can keep up with them. I've had bladder snails starve because the hordes of MTS clean everything so well. I just wish they ate BBA.

I dump a handful in my turtle tank from time to time but I never seem to get a population going in there.
devilduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
Derek1126
Algae Grower

The last time I got my free MTS was from buying a plant from AA in Hoffman Estates few months ago. Luckily, I usually quarantine my new plants for snails...... and sure enough I caught that before its too late. Sometimes tearing down a tank is not enough to get rid of them. If you google it, you will find people having their MTS reborn after the eggs survived with the gravel dried for over a year......(I do doubt about that.)
Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
secuono
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/96%)

If you have a Knife fish, MTS will feed them! My BGK snacks on mine and I need to set up a tank for just MTS now...lol.
I love them.
secuono is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.