Just finished making tank. What do you think?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-05-2003, 03:47 AM   #1
Wheat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The tank is 16x16 and 12 high. Its around 13 gallon. Sitting next to it is the sump not finished yet. Its made of 1/8 in. acrylic.
Wheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2003, 06:16 AM   #2
aeternum23
Planted Tank Obsessed

Not bad .
aeternum23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 01:14 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Very nice! I've been wanting to make my own cube aquarium for quite some time now. What did you use to bond the acrylic? Weldon? I'd like to see some close-ups of the joints to see how they came out!
Old 11-05-2003, 09:48 PM   #4
Wheat
Algae Grower

Thanks,Im not sure the name of the solvent I used on the tank I ran out but it was the thick stuff which I would never use again it made the edges look bad. On the sump I used some stuff a friend got from US Plastics it was like water but worked great and the edges look good. It was just a practice tank now that I know what to do and not to do the next one will be much better.I spent about $30 and that paid for everything even sandpaper.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:48 PM   #5
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Thats pretty wild... it sure does look bigger in that photo dont it ? LOL

That must be a challenge indeed to do without making a mess, Im not very good at "resealing" a tank without makin a mess, let alone building one... nice job, now I cant wait to see you all set up
Old 11-06-2003, 03:47 AM   #6
Wheat
Algae Grower

Thanks, Yeah I cant wait to set it up. Still need to make a stand. I will use plants out of my 29 to fill it and just got some riccia fluitans off ebay today. It really wasnt messy I just used duct tape to hold it together in a square and ran the glue down the seams dried in a couple hours. The glue actually fuses the plastic together and the evaporates
Old 11-06-2003, 03:10 PM   #7
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

What did you use to make your cuts? Table saw? Did you sand before you assembled or after? Did you have a jig or clamps that you use?
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 05:19 PM   #8
Wheat
Algae Grower

To cut I used a table saw with a 140 straight tooth blade cut slow so it dont melt. I sanded the edges that would be glued for a tight fit. I just taped it together and used a square to make sure the tank was square the duct tape holds it together well just pull the tape tight. Then I sanded the edges real good starting with 240 through 2000 grit and the polished out the scratches so you cant feel any edge. there is really no need for that though. I was just wanting to see how that turned out. Its hard to get out all the sanding scratches so I recommend just glueing and leaving it at that unless you know how to polish. I build drum sets so I know how to polish.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:26 PM   #9
Wheat
Algae Grower

The next one I do will be a small bowfront it will be just as easy. 1/8 inch acrylic is easy to bend.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:27 PM   #10
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheat
I spent about $30 and that paid for everything even sandpaper.
This is really neat. I've been wanting to try my hand at building tanks.

I wonder if the economy of scale holds up with larger tanks. I'd be curious to see how much of a savings one might experience with larger tanks in the 100+ gallon range.

What's the biggest tank you plan on building, Wheat?
Old 11-06-2003, 06:49 PM   #11
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Not that I PANIC everytime the toilet even flushes around here since my recent 56G Cracking Nightmare, but Im wondering if 1/8" acrylic is thick enough and sturdy enough for anything larger?
Old 11-06-2003, 07:42 PM   #12
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

Yeah, I think 1/8" is really thin. I don't think you'd want to make the tank any bigger without moving to some heavier stock.
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 08:02 PM   #13
Wheat
Algae Grower

Yeah 1/8 is thin I wouldnt make anything bigger with that. The thicker acrylic is a bit more expensive at Home Depot. Maybe cheaper here http://www.usplastic.com
Old 11-06-2003, 11:46 PM   #14
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

If you use a torch and lightly (real lightly - no flame near the acrylic) hit the edge with some heat it will polish it up for you. It turns out crystal clear. But too much heat will bubble the piece and make it useless. Polishing would probably get a higher gloss but I am lazy. This worked well for many school projects I did in years past. I have yet to make a tank yet..

Also.. as for a stand I always thought it would be cool if you made a stand the exact dimension of the tank so it was around 4-5' high (depending on height of tank) and then have the tank sit there and the top would be the exact same dimensions of the tank. Paint the stand all gloss black. It would look like a pillar with the tank in it. Put it in like a foyer or something.. viewing height while standing rather tan sitting. This may be difficult to clean for shorter folks though. Just thinking outloud there. And I am sure it has been done before.. many times over.
Vinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 11:58 PM   #15
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

You can use a heat gun for the same effect without the risk of accidentally torching your material.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote