Thought I knew about algae... I was wrong - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 04-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #16
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Thought I knew about algae... I was wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtejeda.arias View Post
Unbalanced ferts. Usually how I make my plants thrive and change my fauna
Any recommendations? I have the KNO3 and the KH2PO4 that I dose 3 times a week and then I have pfertz micros that I dose on the 3 days I'm not dosing macros. Also toss in some flourish iron once per week. Water change on the day I don't dose

- Mumford

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #17
genomer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default Re: Thought I knew about algae... I was wrong

The first compound you listed is potassium phosphate; it design not contain any nitrate.

Uptake < plant use. If your nitrates are climbing with your dosing regimen, just do a wc and dial it back a bit. That said, I would suspect your lighting and co2 need a little tweaking. Are your co2 levels optimized? Photoperiod?
genomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Thought I knew about algae... I was wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by genomer View Post
The first compound you listed is potassium phosphate; it design not contain any nitrate.

Uptake < plant use. If your nitrates are climbing with your dosing regimen, just do a wc and dial it back a bit. That said, I would suspect your lighting and co2 need a little tweaking. Are your co2 levels optimized? Photoperiod?
Ok I'll trim those back a bit.

Lighting is about 6 hours right now. Might do a one hour break between each 3 hour period?

The Co2 checker is lime green in the drop checker but I'm slowly upping that level over the next week. Also it's pressurized at 40psi and does just under 1 bps (if that helps at all)

- Mumford

Old 04-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #19
genomer
Algae Grower

How far is the light from the substrate? Any specs on PAR? Seems like you may be pushing it a bit with that fixture right over a small tank, but again, I don't know the details...just speculating. I wouldn't recommend going less than 6 hours-besides, where's the fun in that?

You may end up having to raise the light a bit. Dial in your co2 to the safest maximum level you can and keep the light on as you are. If it's worse in a week, raise the light a couple inches and wait another week. A water change is in order as well...keep those dissolved organics in check.

Whatever you do, don't stop dosing. These issues are almost always light/co2 related; excess nutrients will not cause significant algae growth.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #20
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
How far is the light from the substrate? Any specs on PAR? Seems like you may be pushing it a bit with that fixture right over a small tank, but again, I don't know the details...just speculating. I wouldn't recommend going less than 6 hours-besides, where's the fun in that?

You may end up having to raise the light a bit. Dial in your co2 to the safest maximum level you can and keep the light on as you are. If it's worse in a week, raise the light a couple inches and wait another week. A water change is in order as well...keep those dissolved organics in check.

Whatever you do, don't stop dosing. These issues are almost always light/co2 related; excess nutrients will not cause significant algae growth.
It's at a 40-50 par which I was told is med light and should be fine with CO2. I can try raising the light a little in hopes that solves it

But at medium light I don't think it's anything to drastic right? My co2 may just be off?

- Mumford

Old 04-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #21
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I dose with floranova grow. Stuff is used for hydroponic set ups just 5ml a week. Sometimes I have to skip a week cause it raises my ppm's through the roof if I don't do at least a 25%+ water change
dtejeda.arias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #22
genomer
Algae Grower

Okay. Well, that isn't a bad value...a pretty safe range, provided dosing/co2 is well adjusted.

Is this a new tank? I meant to ask that earlier.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #23
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Okay. Well, that isn't a bad value...a pretty safe range, provided dosing/co2 is well adjusted.

Is this a new tank? I meant to ask that earlier.
Not new but new to high light and co2.

I also did swap the substrate a week or 2 ago. Maybe that has something to do with it?

- Mumford

Old 04-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #24
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I light 12hrs and have a DIY co2... Plus tank is right next to an open window which gets the early morning sun. I'm surprised I haven't gone through a massive algae nuclear explosion
Old 04-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #25
genomer
Algae Grower

Ah. Yup, it definitely has something to do with it. It is essentially a new tank given the new substrate and lighting, so it hasn't reached a balance yet. I suspect your ammonia levels are a bit high-is it brand new aquasoil? If you had a large external filter with plenty of microbial growth this wouldn't be as much of an issue, but that's a small tank for sure.

I would recommend large-ish water changes for the next two weeks-keep the lighting as is and make sure your co2 is maximized. I have a hunch you're experiencing a new tank syndrome of sorts.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #26
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Ah. Yup, it definitely has something to do with it. It is essentially a new tank given the new substrate and lighting, so it hasn't reached a balance yet. I suspect your ammonia levels are a bit high-is it brand new aquasoil? If you had a large external filter with plenty of microbial growth this wouldn't be as much of an issue, but that's a small tank for sure.

I would recommend large-ish water changes for the next two weeks-keep the lighting as is and make sure your co2 is maximized. I have a hunch you're experiencing a new tank syndrome of sorts.
That explains a ton!

It's actually shrimp stratum so no huge ammonia spike is expected but I'll keep checking and I'll be sure to bump up my co2 like I was planning.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

- Mumford

Old 04-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #27
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You think so? Switching substrate causes ammonia to sky rocket if your tank wasn't well established. I say get some floaters to clear up the current algae then start dosing from scratch. 1/4 of whatever you dose now then work your way up till you notice another outbreak. Only way you'll know how much is enough. That is probably my best advice. I started dosing floranova to full strength then realized that 60ml of that stuff would be great for a 5g actual full grown terrestrial plant hydro set up. So I cut back till I could keep rosey minnows alive then went on to guppies and now I keep whatever I want and my plants love me as well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.