Large Aquarium and Stand
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-04-2003, 09:38 PM   #1
emoore3
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I will be moving in about a year and when I do I am going to upgrade my 29 gallon to a new100-135 gallon tank (haven't decieded which one). Does anyone know where I can get a tank and stand that large, either online or preferably in the San Jose, CA area? I would like to be able to see the tank and stand in person before I bought it. I have been looking at the AGA and Oceanic web sites and I think I want to go with one of them (I guess they are the same company now). Thanks.

Eric
emoore3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2003, 10:28 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Uhm... at your LFS?
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 10:42 PM   #3
Kinketsu
Algae Grower

The Oceanic website has a "Find a Dealer" button ... it returned 2 Dealers in San Jose.

The Retail Store Locator on the All Glass Aquarium site seems to be broken right now.

Kinketsu
Kinketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 12:04 AM   #4
emoore3
Planted Member

Ha Ha funny I have checked most of my LFS and they do not have large aquarium stands I can look at and most of them will not order specific aquariums. I am still new to the area so I will continue looking for a good LFS but I put the question out to see if anyone lives in the San Fran Bay Area and knows of a good store or knows a good place to order online.

I will check out the Oceanic site again. Their "Find a Dealer" was also down when I tried to use it. Thanks.

Eric
Old 11-05-2003, 12:22 AM   #5
mario
Planted Member

It seems like the best place to look at larger aquariums and stands are the large retail stores. Here in NYC its mainly Petsmart and Petland. Find a place that has a large selection, check out what you like and (if you have extra money to support small business) buy it at a mom and pop store.
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 02:21 AM   #6
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

Ebay seems to have large tanks being auctioned off all the time by people in CA much to my dismay being in MD.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 02:42 AM   #7
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

While I get most of my aquarium equipment such as filters, heaters, etc. from online vendors such as bigalsonline and petwarehouse, when it comes time to buy a tank and stand, I go with my LFS. Their prices are actually quite reasonable and they can special order just about any tank and stand you might want. Ask around and if they give you a hard time, just leave and find another store. Exercise your power as a consumer to force them to improve their methods!
Old 11-05-2003, 04:39 AM   #8
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

There must be a bunch of pet stores in San Jose that are able and willing to order that... All 3 pet stores that I frequent in Salinas will quite happily do that, and the two bigger ones usually stock some combination in the 100 gal range. One of them had a 100 gal with stand for $425 for a while, which I think was quite reasonable.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 01:03 PM   #9
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy
Ebay seems to have large tanks being auctioned off all the time by people in CA much to my dismay being in MD.
Good point. Check the classifieds in your local paper too. And the local Thrifty Nickel, if you have one, is always a good place to look too. http://www.thriftynickelads.com

You might find a really good price on a nice used unit.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:52 PM   #10
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Go to Petsmart if you want brand specific. Today, I saw a 135 tank made by Oceanic for $479. The stand, also by Oceanic, was about $450. I was NOT too impressed with the tanks's trim. It had a cherry finish, which looked a bit fake.

I guess Petsmart is now selling Oceanic. Is $479 a good deal for a 135 gal tank?
EPC Member #27
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 02:01 AM   #11
emoore3
Planted Member

I think $479 for a 135 Oceanic is pretty good. Oceanic is supposed to be nicer than other tanks (atleast that's what I heard). I have one petsmart about 20 miles from me. I don't remember their being any tanks larger than 55 gallons but I will check again.

I just looked on ebay and could not find a large tank in CA. Since I don't need the tank for a while I will keep on checking ebay. Thanks

Eric
Old 11-06-2003, 02:22 AM   #12
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

The cherry finish looks a heck of a lot better than any other finish I've seen. What kind of finish does impress you ?
Doomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 06:38 AM   #13
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoore3
I think $479 for a 135 Oceanic is pretty good. Oceanic is supposed to be nicer than other tanks (atleast that's what I heard). I have one petsmart about 20 miles from me. I don't remember their being any tanks larger than 55 gallons but I will check again.

Eric
You may wanna ask the store manager and see what kind of tanks they can bring in. I have 3 stores here and I was told that they stock larger tanks in the larger stores. For the 7 plus years I have been in Colorado, I was very surprised to have seen a Oceanic tank at one of the local Petsmarts.
EPC Member #27
Old 11-06-2003, 11:46 AM   #14
Doomer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oceanic is top quality. I've had one for 14 years and never a hint of a problem. They come with a glass center brace which unlike plastic, won't break unless you hit it with a hammer.
Doomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 01:03 PM   #15
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomer
The cherry finish looks a heck of a lot better than any other finish I've seen. What kind of finish does impress you ?
The trim to me looks too fake. I know, I know...settle down everyone
I have a 55 from Top Fin and it has the "oak" trim. From here on out I will only consider black trim. Why? Black blends very easily. I like to look at my tanks when all the lights are out. It's like taking a journey under water...

The Top Fin has a one piece trim while the Oceanic I saw had 45 deg mittered trim. To me, this trim can fall off as the glue becomes dry and brittle. I feel that if Oceanic is top notch, then it should be a one piece. MOO.
EPC Member #27