Mountains of Sawdust, take two - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #76
All your base
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Rams, group of cory cats, and possibly longfin BN plecos are all on the shortlist.

ARRRGGGGGG why did someone have to mention discus? I like the idea very much except (having never kept them) I have the perception that they are "difficult" and require a lot of attention, plus possibly tank conditions the rest of my stuff might not like (i.e. really warm water).
All your base is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #77
All your base
Planted Member

I'm not used to being this indecisive. Now I'm starting to think about angels as a good compromise between Discus (being "too difficult") and lesser fish.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #78
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Dude, you've kept a reef tank. That pretty much assures that you can keep discus. Especially if you have an RO/DI unit. Adults are a lot less finicky than juvies are.

There are some really nice angels out there. I've fallen in love with my blue zebras. Here's a crummy phone pic that doesn't do it justice.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #79
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Unless I am mistaken, you already have everything you need for discus that scares away us lesser mortals

Soft, low ph water - you have RO unit
Stable, large water volume - that thing is how many umpteen hundreds of gallons?
Constant water changes (for 0 nitrates and growth limiting hormone removal - you have auto top off & change.
Stable warm water (mid 80s) - I'm sure your reef stuff can do it

The only things left is feeding, I've always understood that they eat flake but thrive if supplemented with frozen bloodworms and what not - still sounds a lot less complicated than feeding a reef

Cost could be high initially, last time i checked it was $30 a fish to start :O

On the plus side, both discus and cardinals to keep them company are brightly colored AND reflective, so will show up really well even in the back of the tank.

The natural/wild type are just so cool looking to, with the dark banding and blue patterning. Plus you'd get babies!

http://m792.photobucket.com/albumvie...iscus.jpg.html

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&s...fish&tbm=isch#

Last edited by jbrady33; 06-25-2013 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: words
jbrady33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #80
All your base
Planted Member

I'm going to pretend I don't see the pro-discus posts for now.

It looks like the first inhabitants are already there. Mosquito larvae. They must have hitch hiked in with the driftwood. Oh well, it's getting drained tonight or tomorrow for the first round of planting. Maybe I'll get a few cheap hardy fish to keep the wiggler population down until I decide on "real" fish.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #81
All your base
Planted Member

Also, let me qualify my "too difficult" comment - I'm sure I could keep discus successfully. I'm not concerned about killing fish, I'm concerned about the stress and level of effort...

I sold the RO membrane and DI off my RO/DI unit, so now it's just a three stage filter (sediment, carbon, carbon). I really don't like RO as a technology (it's costly and wasteful) and I don't think I need it as my tap is pretty moderate in most parameters.

I did manage to get my hands on a solenoid for the auto topoff/water change system, which is the last piece of equipment I need to install. It's feeling great to have things this far along but also kind of anticlimactic in a way. I mean, this was just SO easy.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #82
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by All your base View Post
kind of anticlimactic in a way. I mean, this was just SO easy.
I think your 'hardest' task i going to be keeping the plants trimmed - which is kinds fun in it's own way - trims = more plants to fill in or RAOK out!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #83
All your base
Planted Member

Once things are established and the slow growing plants start to expand, I will rip out fast growing plants and let the slowpokes take over. Thus, eventually, I won't HAVE to trim all the time. This is what I did in the 60g I posted near the beginning of the thread and it seemed to work really well.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:18 AM   #84
All your base
Planted Member

Plant order is here! Boight from a vendor called Neptune's Neighborhood. I have to say, prices were amazing. Plants aren't huge but are all in very, very nice shape. Clean, healthy, just look great. Did I mention how cheap they were?
Old 06-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #85
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

Cool! You should consider some crypt balansae, retro, or spiralis in that back right 'no window' corner - an easy top to bottom forest!

Quote:
I'm going to pretend I don't see the pro-discus posts for now.
You cannot ignore the HypnoDiscus, all hail the HypnoDiscus!

-----------------------------OBEY!------------------------------
Old 06-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #86
All your base
Planted Member

I do have some balansae but I was considering them midground plants, do they really get that tall? By the time you account for substrate and actual water height, the 24" height of the aquarium probably equates to about 20" of water depth.

Better not threaten me with hypnodiscus or I'll go do something brash like fill the tank with guppies. :lol:
Old 06-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #87
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

I believe the balansae can get to 2 feet normally, some people have posted pics of it even longer! - definitely background You can trim the tops like a haircut though.

With your huge floor space they would look cool in a clump back there

The HypnoDiscus does what he pleases, I have no control of it!
Old 06-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #88
All your base
Planted Member

Planting under way. It's a wee bit messy in there.

View from above:

Old 07-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #89
All your base
Planted Member

Planting is complete and things are settling in a bit. Water is still cloudy. I took some more poor quality cellphone photos.

The FTS:

Left to right across the front:

Long end FTS and close up:

Back window FTS and close up:

I have the blue LEDs on a separate channel, and the whites split into two channels, so I can get some variation across the tank in terms of intensity as well as adjust different areas to get a wamer or cooler look (and, of course, fade to imitate sunrise/sunset as well as other dimming effects). Compare this with the first shot:

I am still not sure what I prefer. The reefkeeper in me likes the cooler, blue look. The planted FW enthusiast in me keeps whispering that it's supposed to be a lot warmer. At least I can change my mind by pushing buttons instead of swapping equipment.

I definitely need to do a round two (at least) and replant. Most of the stems are just sorta plopped into empty spaces for now. And my favorite part is not really visible at all. I put a bunch of really nice swords (amazon and kliener bar) back behind the driftwood on the right end, and you can't see them at all from any angle. I may leave them there and see what it looks like grown in.

Also I have nothing that even resembles a carpet for the foreground. I'm hoping that at least one of the crypt species I have stays small, and I can just let it take over the foreground. If that doesn't work, does anyone have suggestions for a low-maintenance carpet? The area in question is fairly well lit.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #90
Aquaticus
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Very cool!
Aquaticus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.