Mountains of Sawdust, take two - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #61
All your base
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Wow. Coming right along and very nicely too.

The twiggy stuff does do a good job of obscuring the overflow box. Usually we stick to one type of wood in a scape but I like the way this looks. A lot.

I am all about local stuff too, really like the rock work and how it is tied to the wood.

What does the tank look like through the other windows?
Thanks! I am very happy with how it came together. It was one of those things where I had a mental image but I wasn't sure how it would play out in real life. There are a handful of tanks on here that have been direct inspirations, and yours is on that list. I love the whole "gnarled driftwood on top of a pile of rocks" look.

I'm starting to firm up the plant list. I am probably going to bias a bit towards fast growers in the beginning to keep things under control but long term I am leaning more towards low-maintenance. I am still going to do some "hi tech" things (CO2) but I don't want a ton of work.

I'll try to take some pictures through the other windows tonight!
All your base is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #62
All your base
Planted Member

Just placed a plant order with a new vendor for the following:

Anubias barteri var. barteri
Cryptocoryne pontederifolia
Microsorium pteropus
Ceratopteris thalictroides
Echinodorus amazon
Echinodorus cordifolius 'Marble Queen'
Nymphaea stellata
Hygrophila salicifolia
Hygrophila corymbosa 'narrow leaf"
Ludwigia repens

Between this and what I have in the growout tank I should have enough to get things started. Probably some time next week. It's getting very real all of a sudden.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #63
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Its amusing to read an ex reefer journal a planted tank.

You're doing very well and I like the look you're going for. I think you're doing a bangup job creating your vision. I think once its grown in it will look very nice. I'd love to see what hygro sunset would look like under those lights. You might be able to get the whole plant to turn pink with that level of lights.

I agree with Kathy, we need shots from the small windows!
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #64
All your base
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
Its amusing to read an ex reefer journal a planted tank.
That's funny 'cause the local reef community says to me it's amusing to see someone in to planted tanks try to do a reef tank.

Quote:
You're doing very well and I like the look you're going for. I think you're doing a bangup job creating your vision. I think once its grown in it will look very nice. I'd love to see what hygro sunset would look like under those lights. You might be able to get the whole plant to turn pink with that level of lights.

I agree with Kathy, we need shots from the small windows!
I'm gonna keep an eye out for the sunset hygro for sure. I'm honestly not sure what to think about the lights. The fact that they were a fair amount for a reef tank makes them seem REALLY bright for a planted tank by conventional wisdom, but when I look at tools within the planted community designed to estimate LED lighting it comes out on the weak end. I think part of it is, sometimes the tools aren't designed to work under certain conditions (my tank has a big footprint which means "overlap" happens more, and I'm only lighting portions of it, on purpose, not the whole thing).

I forgot to take pictures through the other windows last night, will give it a shot tonight.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #65
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

The scape looks great, though I prefer it without the twiggy branches, IMO.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #66
All your base
Planted Member

I am divided on the twiggy stuff...

I turned the pump way up just to see how it looked and made a little dust storm but here are some pics:

Front:

Walking around the end:

End:

Back:

Old 06-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #67
All your base
Planted Member

Now that the hardscape is more or less done, and the initial plants are out of the way, I am taking another stab at choosing fish.

I don't want a billion different species, I'd like to stick to one or two species in each of a few categories:

1) Large number of open water schooling fish. Probably will go with giant danios.
2) Small number of interesting open water fish. No solid ideas here. Angels? Rams? Gouramis?
3) Interesting medium-large-ish bottom fish. Pleco? Been there, done that. Any ideas? community safe catfish?
4) Interesting small bottom fish. Ottos or cory cats probably

Thoughts?
Old 06-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #68
Redtail84
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Pictus cats are great. They like to be in groups, and they have a lot of personality.
Redtail84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #69
MikeP_123
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Loaches are the most interesting and social schooling bottom fish I have ever run into. Soooo much fun and there are plenty to choose from. Clown loaches look great and get big. Angelicus Loaches are absolutely stunning, and dont get too big at all (not sure if you want a smaller group of big fish or a huge group of smaller fish) oh and they eat small pesty snails. After many years of looking for nice bottom fish, most of them ending up being nocturnal (no fun), I settled with the Angelicus Loaches due to them not fearing the light. Hope that helps!

Ps most catfish are indeed nocturnal so you may not get to see them in all their glory.
MikeP_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #70
farrenator
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Rainbowfish! They are very active, hardy, spectacular looking - especially when they display.

Visit rainbow-fish.org and then bang your head on the wall when you find out it is very difficult to get all the great species you have just seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All your base View Post
2) Small number of interesting open water fish. No solid ideas here. Angels? Rams? Gouramis?
Thoughts?
farrenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #71
Aquaticus
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Rainbowfish awesome! Definitely be a good choice, and prettier (and more expensive) than danios. A large group of serpae or red minor tetras would also be great, and they add some permanent color to the aquarium. They aren't really a schooling fish, but they interact a lot with each other.

For some medium sized catfish, I'd go with bristlenoses. They get fairly big, are active during the day, are fun to feed (zucchini, vegetables), eat algae, and are so easy to breed. Males guard the fry. They will nibble on plants if they are hungry, but with fast growth rates, I don't notice it.

A dwarf cichlid would be cool. A dozen kribs? I've got some Apistograma cacuatoides that are also very cool.

Best of luck!
Aquaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #72
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Otos are a good CUC. They stay pretty small. Pictus catfish will be your best bet for a cat that won't grow HUGE. I'm burned out on plecos. They are always messy and leave LOTS of poop around no matter which kind you get. The smaller species like bristlenose don't get big, but they're still messy. Must have a school of corys. They are very social and go well with just about anything. Some nice angels would do well in that tank. I like the blue zebras myself. Apistogrammas would be really nice to. There are some harder to find species (sp. hongsloi) that are beautiful.

Rainbows are nice, but they're kinda funny looking IMO especially when they are adults. They are VERY active though and will be all over that tank all the time. I like bosmani rainbows the best. Rams are always a good choice and they're very friendly. Mine haven't quite ate out of my hands yet, but a lot of ram owners have gotten theirs to eat out of the hand.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #73
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

A huge group of Cory cats would be a lot of fun to watch.

I know this would be against the 'simple and easier' idea, but can you imagine a big school of wild/henkle type discus in that thing, with a giant cloud of cardinals?!

Plants: some of those criniums (spelling?) that get huge long crinkled leaves and flower would be cool. Some crypt balanese and sprialis too
Old 06-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #74
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by All your base View Post
Now that the hardscape is more or less done, and the initial plants are out of the way, I am taking another stab at choosing fish.

I don't want a billion different species, I'd like to stick to one or two species in each of a few categories:

1) Large number of open water schooling fish. Probably will go with giant danios.
3) Interesting medium-large-ish bottom fish. Pleco? Been there, done that. Any ideas? community safe catfish?
4) Interesting small bottom fish. Ottos or cory cats probably

Thoughts?
You should get some long-fin bristlenose plecos. They look really cool, the only problem is they would probably try and hide in your wood and they poop a lot. They only get around 4-5" long.

a couple of pairs of rams would look really cool in there!
thebuddha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #75
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

a couple thousand shrimp would look great in there
JoeandCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote