When to use a heat pack?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 03-22-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

When to use a heat pack?

I was just wondering at what temperatures(both where you live and the destination) that you guys start to use heat packs for plants? Just wondering in case I was shipping my next package out.

Thanks
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Never.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

Thats easy enough. Haha thanks OVT
Old 03-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (391/100%)

I use heatpacks in the deep of winter if I'm shipping to locations where the temps are going to dip below freezing. With the warm weather currently, you won't need them.
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
seuadr
Planted Member

i've recieved several packs of plants in the winter with no issues. they were only in the mailbox a few hours, though.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

I guess this is one of those opinion things based on your personal experiences and where you live. But try saying never when you live in Minnesota and temps are below 0 for weeks on end. Not too many aquarium plants can survive sitting in a mailbox for 6+ hours in -20 degree temps without a heat pack and an insulated box.

If you haven't personally experienced temps like we get, feel free to visit us next January. It may just change your opinion on the use of heat packs.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #7
OVT
Carpe Diem

Yes, my initial reply was a bit terse, but I've been in similar discussions just too many times.

I have sent 150+ plant packages in the last 18 months, including to Alaska in January and Colorado in December, Minneapolis, Chicago, N. Dakota etc etc in the death of winter. With no heat packs. I lost 2. Both took over 5 days to arrive. Both were re-send at no cost. I put my money were my mouth is.

If you know that the plants will be sitting in your mailbox for 6 hours in -20F, why not do Post Office hold? The transaction is a good faith effort on BOTH the seller and buyer ends.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=195675&page=4
OVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Yes, my initial reply was a bit terse, but I've been in similar discussions just too many times.

I have sent 150+ plant packages in the last 18 months, including to Alaska in January and Colorado in December, Minneapolis, Chicago, N. Dakota etc etc in the death of winter. With no heat packs. I lost 2. Both took over 5 days to arrive. Both were re-send at no cost. I put my money were my mouth is.

If you know that the plants will be sitting in your mailbox for 6 hours in -20F, why not do Post Office hold? The transaction is a good faith effort on BOTH the seller and buyer ends.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=195675&page=4
I am being somewhat facetious and pointing out a fact that people who do not live here under estimate how cold it gets. Not everyone lives in California or New York

In no way was I inferring that you personally do not know how to ship plants. But lets also face the fact that not everyone does.

Still, I stand by my main point, and that is during the extreme cold temps here, it is risky to purchase or ship plants without a heat pack and insulation. I'm sure we can agree that it is a gamble for both buyer and seller.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dx3Bash View Post
Not everyone lives in California or New York
Whoa! Ny gets VERY cold. Probably as cold as Minnesota in some cases, Upstate is FAR different from downstate (the City)

Anyways I have never used heatpacks when I ship plants, too much of a hassle and like OVT said its unlikely they will be sitting in a mailbox for 6+ hours on a freezing day

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
Whoa! Ny gets VERY cold. Probably as cold as Minnesota in some cases.
People's definition of "cold" is relative. Just an example of the first two weeks average temp between Albany and where we are. Your temps average 22+ degrees warmer. That DOES make a significant difference. What you consider "Very cold" we consider a January Thaw.

This is not to be meant as an argument. This was a post asking about when to use a heat pack. I simply stated my opinion (based on 30+ years in the hobby) for the use of heat packs based on WHERE I LIVE. Your opinion on the use of heat packs may be completely different based on WHERE YOU LIVE. I'm sure there are many people on this forum that know how to properly ship plants to extreme cold areas, but chances are there are some that do not. It has been my experience that most people who do not live here are very ignorant to how cold it gets. Heat packs and insulated boxes may not be necessary to 99% of the places you ship plants, but here during the middle of winter, they are almost a requirement. This is not a debate, it is a fact.

Our mail comes between 10-11 am. We get home between 5-5:30 pm. So yes, 6 hours. Which is why we would never buy fish/plants in January unless they are in an insulated box and using heat packs. Even then it is risky. By the way, our post office closes at 4:45 pm, so pick up is not an option. I stand by my earlier posts.

p.s. By the way, our average temps here are much colder than Anchorage Alaska. http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...2?climoMonth=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ely.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	111914  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Albany.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	111922  

Last edited by Dx3Bash; 03-23-2013 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: typo
Dx3Bash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
OVT
Carpe Diem

@Dx3Bash: what did you do to deserve such a punishment?
And you are right: there are always exceptions.
OVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #12
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

Totally forgot about this thread. But thanks so much guys for the info. Its good to know i dont have to bother with heat packs except in extreme conditions. Just sent out two packages the other day and they made it to their destination in great shape!