Low or High?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
newb
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Low or High?

Hi all!

I have recently taken some interest in keeping aquarium plants and was hoping to keep it as low tech as possible, but I've been reading conflicting information regarding my current light fixture. I have a 28 gallon bowfront (24x15x18) that has been running for over a year with a t5HO 2x24 Watt fixture sitting directly on a glass canopy. I assumed I had around 1.7 wpg and considered it low light, but it seems this may not be the case?
newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
Hi all!

I have recently taken some interest in keeping aquarium plants and was hoping to keep it as low tech as possible, but I've been reading conflicting information regarding my current light fixture. I have a 28 gallon bowfront (24x15x18) that has been running for over a year with a t5HO 2x24 Watt fixture sitting directly on a glass canopy. I assumed I had around 1.7 wpg and considered it low light, but it seems this may not be the case?
Depending on the quality of the fixture/bulbs/reflector, I would say that is somewhere in the medium/average.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Aulonocara_Freak
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

The WPG rule is way outdated since now we have CFL's, T5, T5HO, T8, etc.
Here's a great article to read more - Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts

I would personally put your setup in the medium light range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon
Well if you're going to be a noob I guess you should go all out........
Aulonocara_Freak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
newb
Algae Grower

It's made by Odyssea, but couldn't tell you much other than that. Was hoping to stick with low light, hardy plants that if possible can go without additional co2 or fertilizer. Can a tank still be low tech with medium lighting such as this? Thanks for the quick responses/feedback!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Your Lighting Question

Quote:
Hi all!

Hello new...

The "watts per gallon rule" works with florescent bulbs that measure T8 or T12. If you do have 1.7 watts per gallon, then you have moderate to fairly strong light. The strong light level is about 2 watts per gallon of tank volume. Bright goes into the 3 to 4 watts range.

You should be able to grow most of the standard aquarium plants available at the local pet store.

B
Old 04-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #6
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

You probably have 60-70 PAR with that light, depending on how deep your substrate layer is. That is too much light to use without also using pressurized CO2. Raise the light so it is about 2 feet from the top of the substrate and you would have low light.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #7
newb
Algae Grower

Yikes...am I better off going with t8 then? I have one with a 15 W bulb...would only give me 1/2 wpg though. If it comes down to it, I think I'd rather pay to downgrade my lighting & stick with the basics.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:52 AM   #8
Aulonocara_Freak
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Just remember that you can't use t8's in your T5HO fixture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon
Well if you're going to be a noob I guess you should go all out........
Aulonocara_Freak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:01 AM   #9
newb
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulonocara_Freak View Post
Just remember that you can't use t8's in your T5HO fixture.

Yes, thank you for that I should have worded that differently, I have a spare t8 light fixture with a 15 Watt bulb. Seems I'm either too low with the t8 or too high with the t5HO. Glad to find out sooner rather than later. Does anyone suggest an alternative? Again, thanks for everyone's input
Old 04-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #10
bankruptjojo
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

can the Odyssea run with only one bulb? if so only running one bulb would help. deff dont switch to the t8 unless you only have the lowest light plants.
33g long cherry shrimp, 8 pygmy corys, 5 ottos
15g 2 GBR
bankruptjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:25 AM   #11
newb
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankruptjojo View Post
can the Odyssea run with only one bulb? if so only running one bulb would help. deff dont switch to the t8 unless you only have the lowest light plants.
Yes! I just tried that, it does. So I am now running a single 24 Watt HO bulb over a 28 gallon, where does this put me? I'm trying to avoid adding CO2 & additional fertilizer. Having never had a planted tank, I want to start simple and possibly work my way up in the future.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:30 AM   #12
Kareen
Planted Member

Default T5 or T5HO

Hi All, I have a 125 planted tank I have T5's on it now and my plants seem to do ok or would the T5HO Be a better for the plants. Thanks
Kareen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:29 AM   #13
bankruptjojo
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Yes! I just tried that, it does. So I am now running a single 24 Watt HO bulb over a 28 gallon, where does this put me? I'm trying to avoid adding CO2 & additional fertilizer. Having never had a planted tank, I want to start simple and possibly work my way up in the future.
add some floating plants and you should be fine. floating plants will block a lot of light. get some pennywort or watersprite and float that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareen View Post
Hi All, I have a 125 planted tank I have T5's on it now and my plants seem to do ok or would the T5HO Be a better for the plants. Thanks
it would prob be best to start your own thread. you will get more responses toward your problems. i have 2 t5no on my 125 but im only growing low light plants, depends on a lot of factors.
33g long cherry shrimp, 8 pygmy corys, 5 ottos
15g 2 GBR
bankruptjojo is offline   Reply With Quote