Evolve 4 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #16
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Evolve 4

It does, the damn Window in the background is messing with my phone camera. I'll get another picture tonight.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
Kirbybtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #17
Jdiesels
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Evolve 4

Take a pic of your filter setup!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #18
leaveittweaver
Algae Grower

Yeah I'm sure it's the light coming through the window distorting.

I do have to say though that unless every light in your house is off, the night time setting looks awful.

@Defstatic, thanks for the tips! I do have sponge stuffed in the intake but maybe I'll try some sponge in the pump area. I've debated putting panty hose over the pump but I feel like it's going to throw the look of the tank off.
leaveittweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Re: Evolve 4

I need to add a bit of sponge to my intake as well. This is my shrimp breeding tank!

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
Old 03-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #20
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

I saw these at Petco yesterday. I was tempted to grab one for an office desk tank. Might still do that if I can get back in before they sell out. How's the light? Suitable for maintaining plant growth?
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:13 PM   #21
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's supposed to be sufficient for plant growth but I can't find any specs anywhere.

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
Old 03-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #22
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

Added my hillstream loach, my cichlids were nipping his fins he's happy in his new home!

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
Old 03-31-2013, 11:08 PM   #23
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

When I looked at the pic again, I noticed the window shinning right in the middle, prob affecting the shutter speed and ambient light detector.

I do not have any specs on the stock light, but I believe it would be considered quite low light. Suitable for low light plants. I will say I think it is a hair better than most people give it credit for though.

If you are interested, you can get an upgraded light. Anything from a $70 Ecoxotic light, to the Finnex Fugeray-R (which I highly recommend and you can see in action in my journal).
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:12 PM   #24
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
I saw these at Petco yesterday. I was tempted to grab one for an office desk tank. Might still do that if I can get back in before they sell out. How's the light? Suitable for maintaining plant growth?
I honestly am close to buying a second one and having two at work. They said I could have up to a 10gal tank, so why not two 4's LOL.

Was thinking of doing another setup, but this time with some Java Fern and Moss. And a Red Betta. Kind of a Ying Yang thing LOL.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:47 AM   #25
leaveittweaver
Algae Grower

I've looked at almost every thread on the Evolve in those forum and others, and I think the light is pretty darn decent. Seems to support quite a few "moderate light" plants. In mine I have anubias, dwarf sagg, and java fern. We'll see how it goes
leaveittweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:22 AM   #26
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I'm sorry if they stop making the 4 gallon. I really like mine.

I like your setup.
OOO Order of Ornamentaria
Member in good standing

mosspearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #27
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just ordered some mini fissiden for very cheap! In a few months I'll have a beautiful carpet!

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #28
LaurenE
Algae Grower

I also just picked up an Evolve 4 at Petco just this afternoon. I hadn't planned on getting another tank for probably a couple of months at least but considering the $34.99 price tag and the fact that it was the only one left, just couldn't pass it up lol. Super excited to plan out which plants will go in it and the aquascaping. Right after Petco I made a quick stop at Petsmart, where I saw that their Evolves were also on sale, the Evolve 4 for $59.99, so still significantly higher than Petco.

I think I've already scratched the idea of housing one of my bettas in it--judging by several of the posts in this thread it sounds like the filter flow is pretty strong, and while baffling/modifying strong outflow can be done pretty easily, I'm not sure even that would be sufficient if the pump is that strong, plus the water level has to be quite high due to the placement of the intake slots so I'd have to make my own lid to prevent any suicidal jumps, which I really would rather not do. I could definitely end up changing my mind though once I get a better feel for the tank lol.

Really like the idea of making it into a planted shrimp tank right now, but theres no rush to decide. This style of tank also lends itself quite well to conversion into a nano-reef tank (with certain modifications of course), which I'd really love to try since I just started dabbling in SW and am really enjoying it so far. Tempted to check out the other Petcos in my area to see if they still have any left and get a 2nd one lol.
LaurenE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #29
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenE View Post
I also just picked up an Evolve 4 at Petco just this afternoon. I hadn't planned on getting another tank for probably a couple of months at least but considering the $34.99 price tag and the fact that it was the only one left, just couldn't pass it up lol. Super excited to plan out which plants will go in it and the aquascaping. Right after Petco I made a quick stop at Petsmart, where I saw that their Evolves were also on sale, the Evolve 4 for $59.99, so still significantly higher than Petco.

I think I've already scratched the idea of housing one of my bettas in it--judging by several of the posts in this thread it sounds like the filter flow is pretty strong, and while baffling/modifying strong outflow can be done pretty easily, I'm not sure even that would be sufficient if the pump is that strong, plus the water level has to be quite high due to the placement of the intake slots so I'd have to make my own lid to prevent any suicidal jumps, which I really would rather not do. I could definitely end up changing my mind though once I get a better feel for the tank lol.

Really like the idea of making it into a planted shrimp tank right now, but theres no rush to decide. This style of tank also lends itself quite well to conversion into a nano-reef tank (with certain modifications of course), which I'd really love to try since I just started dabbling in SW and am really enjoying it so far. Tempted to check out the other Petcos in my area to see if they still have any left and get a 2nd one lol.
The existing lid is more than sufficient at stopping jumpers (except the hole in the right front, which can be easily covered).

And reducing the flow is quite effective. Probably one of the best 5gal and under Betta tanks. Although I am still looking at possibly reducing the flow even more, as it still seems quite strong for a Betta. The power head is just too much for such a small tank.

IDK, the next water change I am going to give it another turn, maybe close to half closed.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:37 AM   #30
LaurenE
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
The existing lid is more than sufficient at stopping jumpers (except the hole in the right front, which can be easily covered).

And reducing the flow is quite effective. Probably one of the best 5gal and under Betta tanks. Although I am still looking at possibly reducing the flow even more, as it still seems quite strong for a Betta. The power head is just too much for such a small tank.

IDK, the next water change I am going to give it another turn, maybe close to half closed.
Well I feel pretty stupid now, I totally didn't realize it came with a lid. That kinda makes a big difference lol. I've gotten fairly proficient over the years at figuring out effective methods of reducing/diverting flow for a wide variety of filters so I'm sure I can figure something out here too. My new cellophane delta tail male's finnage isn't that cumbersome (at least not compared to my 2 halfmoon double tails) making him better equipped to handle stronger flow levels too, so he'll most likely be at least one of the inhabitants.
LaurenE is offline   Reply With Quote