Evolve 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Kirbybtf's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 361
Default

Evolve 4



Got this for 34 dollars at the petco dinar per gallon sale
Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
_______________________________________________

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
Kirbybtf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
DefStatic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 553
Default

Yep, nice grab. Same price I grabbed mine at. Even took a pick of the price LOL, incase one store was out.

First they were on sale for $60. Then clearance down to $50. Now clearance down to $35. It is priced less than the Evolve 2 LOL.

I suspect either this is Spring Cleaning or there is a new Evolve on the way.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Jdiesels
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Jdiesels's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 328
Default Evolve 4

Awesome tank, I hear the pumps are way too strong though
__________________
Jdiesels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Jdiesels
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Jdiesels's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 328
Default Evolve 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
Yep, nice grab. Same price I grabbed mine at. Even took a pick of the price LOL, incase one store was out.

First they were on sale for $60. Then clearance down to $50. Now clearance down to $35. It is priced less than the Evolve 2 LOL.

I suspect either this is Spring Cleaning or there is a new Evolve on the way.
Hopefully an evolve 6 or an evolve 12
__________________
Jdiesels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
DefStatic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdiesels View Post
Hopefully an evolve 6 or an evolve 12
Personally I think the 2 is too small. IDK about a 12 though LOL.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
DefStatic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdiesels View Post
Awesome tank, I hear the pumps are way too strong though
The pump in the 4 is the same in the 8. Some people actually feel it is too weak for the 8, most find it just perfect, as it moves 100 GPH at max. 60 GPH at the lowest setting.

I cannot see how anyone would use the pump on a 4 at anything besides the lowest setting. See my build thread for an easy way to reduce the flow even further if needed. Others have posted some of their own tips and tricks for reducing flow. I just happen to like mine the best. Only cost about $5 and is much more adjustable.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
Jdiesels
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Jdiesels's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 328
Default Evolve 4

I have the 8 and the pump is perfect! The overflow is annoying with floating plants but other than that its amazing
__________________
Jdiesels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
leaveittweaver
Algae Grower
 
leaveittweaver's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY
Posts: 33
Default

Congrats! I got mine for the same price recently as well. I think their doing away with the 4 gallon.

Also, everyone talks about how they turn the flow down to the lowest setting on their pump? How the heck do I do that? Haha.
leaveittweaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
DefStatic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaveittweaver View Post
Congrats! I got mine for the same price recently as well. I think their doing away with the 4 gallon.

Also, everyone talks about how they turn the flow down to the lowest setting on their pump? How the heck do I do that? Haha.
On the pump, there is an adjustment. You have to take it out to adjust it. Pretty simple slider. I do not know if it literally slows down the pump like a potentiometer or closes a valve.

My addon is just an adjustable valve. I do not want to adjust it any more than 1/3 closed because I don't want to stress the pump.

But see how you feel it is with just the adjustment on the pump down.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
leaveittweaver
Algae Grower
 
leaveittweaver's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
On the pump, there is an adjustment. You have to take it out to adjust it. Pretty simple slider. I do not know if it literally slows down the pump like a potentiometer or closes a valve.

My addon is just an adjustable valve. I do not want to adjust it any more than 1/3 closed because I don't want to stress the pump.

But see how you feel it is with just the adjustment on the pump down.
Agh of course I'd have to take it out >.< My bio max bags are on top of the pump so I'll have to take them out. The pump is way too strong. I've seen your add on, I like it a lot, I'm just really awful at DIY stuff.
leaveittweaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Kirbybtf's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 361
Default Re: Evolve 4


And here it is all done.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
_______________________________________________

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
Kirbybtf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
seuadr
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Eaton Rapids, Mi, USA
Posts: 267
Default

i have a fair amount of that size tubing around, so i clipped the edge of the hose in several spots. the chamber sees good recirculation and all of the debris falls down to the bottom (i have the pump suction cupped to the wall instead of the floor, to help it from sucking up mulm, etc) and every other water change i just pull the pump and suck the garbage out. I used to have my bio bags over the pump, but i removed the mechanical filter in the first chamber and stuffed that full of them instead, with a purigen pad between the two chambers. seems to work better for cleaning it out and adjusting the pump and heater as needed.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #13
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
DefStatic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
i have a fair amount of that size tubing around, so i clipped the edge of the hose in several spots. the chamber sees good recirculation and all of the debris falls down to the bottom (i have the pump suction cupped to the wall instead of the floor, to help it from sucking up mulm, etc) and every other water change i just pull the pump and suck the garbage out. I used to have my bio bags over the pump, but i removed the mechanical filter in the first chamber and stuffed that full of them instead, with a purigen pad between the two chambers. seems to work better for cleaning it out and adjusting the pump and heater as needed.
The stock filter works fine, I did add a Fluval sponge at the intake to help with the flow and it also does some filtration. I am not even sure how often to change the stock filter, but I am only doing 20% water changes once a week now, and my water has become crystal clear (not sure if the sponge helped speed that up) and my water params do not change at all (although I am using cheap test strips and cannot test for ammonia yet.

I would love to see a write up on some alternative filtration setups. It is a weak subject for me, so I am not confident in coming up with something on my own.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
DefStatic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaveittweaver View Post
Agh of course I'd have to take it out >.< My bio max bags are on top of the pump so I'll have to take them out. The pump is way too strong. I've seen your add on, I like it a lot, I'm just really awful at DIY stuff.
Start with adjusting the pump to it's lowest setting, see how you like that. If it is still too strong, look at some other methods for reducing the flow. Some have done stuff as simple as adding a sponge at the intake and stuffing the powerhead with sponge.

My alternative is actually really simple to setup, and allows you to make even further adjustments without removing the pump.

However, I m still in a testing mode of sorts. I wonder what sort of stress could be put on the pump by resticing the flow in this way. So far after about a month, I have seen no signs of damage. The minimum noise it makes has not increased or shown signs of stress. And the output at the powerhead is constant. I have seen no debris or build up in the tube or valve.

I am going to do a 50% water change in the next month and move my swords around. At that point I am going to remove the pump for inspection. Also look into setting up alternative filtration media.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #15
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
DefStatic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbybtf View Post

And here it is all done.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
I like it. Seems dark though. I thought the stock light did better than that.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012