New guy here, planted 55 gallon tang cichlid setup. Give me your opinions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

New guy here, planted 55 gallon tang cichlid setup. Give me your opinions

Good or bad, tell me what you think. I will have the stock list updated later and I will post it.

This is my first EVER aquarium, and the bug has bit me, for sure.

Jester946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
rowdaddy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: New guy here, planted 55 gallon tang cichlid setup. Give me your opinions

The tank looks great. I'm glad the bug has bit you!

Unfortunately, i don't know how well.most of those plants are going to do well over time. Cichlids are typically plant destroyers. I'm not sure what species you have, but just a heads up.

What kind of light are you using?

Substrate?

Any ferts?

I am Rowdaddy.
SC Aquaria

75 Community
20H Community
20L Convict "Bedroom"
20L Growout
10gal RCS
1.5gal in progress
55 gal Paludarium/Vivarium coming soon
rowdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

easter stuff going right now, so I will post back a little later.

These are lake tang cichlids, so they are carnivores and don't care for the plants much. Mbuna's and malawi's will eat the plants.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks like a great start to me and good plant selection. Welcome to TPT, can't wait to see an update!

My 40B Work In Progress
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:36 AM   #5
jade_dragon71
Planted Member

PTrader: (55/100%)

We keep mbunas in our unplanted 75 gal. While they don't eat plants, they are vigorous diggers! I won't even attempt plants in that tank. I know there are others who do fully planted with the same kinds of fish, though. I hope your fish continue to cooperate for you.
jade_dragon71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:49 AM   #6
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I wish my first aquarium looked like that, Well done for first try!
I think you could add some more plant biomass, it looks a bit sparsely planted.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:43 AM   #7
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin6547 View Post
I wish my first aquarium looked like that, Well done for first try!
I think you could add some more plant biomass, it looks a bit sparsely planted.
My LFS is pretty good on pricing, and I just spent another 50$ on plants...and of course want to buy more.

Wish they were open tomorrow!
Old 03-31-2013, 04:52 AM   #8
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdaddy View Post
The tank looks great. I'm glad the bug has bit you!

Unfortunately, i don't know how well.most of those plants are going to do well over time. Cichlids are typically plant destroyers. I'm not sure what species you have, but just a heads up.

What kind of light are you using?

Substrate?

Any ferts?

I am Rowdaddy.
SC Aquaria

75 Community
20H Community
20L Convict "Bedroom"
20L Growout
10gal RCS
1.5gal in progress
55 gal Paludarium/Vivarium coming soon

My Multi's are pretty prolific diggers, so I won't plant anything in the substrate near them.

Using Pool filter sand as the substrate, using the EI for fert dosing, and have Giesman T5HO's. One is the aquaflora, and the other is mid-day sun. My pearling has picked up heavily since I ditched the original odysea bulbs, and added injected CO2.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:08 AM   #9
Jordin
Algae Grower

The tank looks awsome. Great layout!

Hope to see some updates as it progresses and matures.

I recently got into the hobby as well and am working on my first ever planted aquarium. I guess the bug bit us both.

Cichlids are beautiful fish, I'd like to try a tank with them one day. Love the pictures you posted.

What do you have on the side of the tank in the 9th picture? It looks like a diffuser but in the pic, seems to be on the outisde of your tank? I'm just curious what it is :-)
Jordin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:01 AM   #10
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordin View Post
The tank looks awsome. Great layout!

Hope to see some updates as it progresses and matures.

I recently got into the hobby as well and am working on my first ever planted aquarium. I guess the bug bit us both.

Cichlids are beautiful fish, I'd like to try a tank with them one day. Love the pictures you posted.

What do you have on the side of the tank in the 9th picture? It looks like a diffuser but in the pic, seems to be on the outisde of your tank? I'm just curious what it is :-)
It's a Mr aqua bubble counter, it sits on the outside so I can watch my co2 go at an outrageous rate, lol, the twirling looks good when the CO2 is on.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin6547 View Post
I wish my first aquarium looked like that,
I can 2nd that. You're on a great start.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

I myslef have a planted Tanganyikan tank and can offer a few suggestions. The Val and Anubias will both do well in their tank, though the others might be tough in a long term set up. The Ph of the lake itself is one of the tougher issues facing plant keepers. The Ph (and associated Gh, Kh, and TDS) is extremely high and can vary from 8.6-9.6. The addition of CO2 into the tank will actually lower the Ph of the water, thus making it difficult to breed the fish and can possibly stress them. The fish in my tank (Cyprichromis Leptosoma, Eretmodus Cyan., Neol. Multifasciatus, Syn. Petricola) leave the plants alone other then occasionally uprooting them. I myself have never seen CO2 injection work out in the long term for a Tang tank with breeding in mind. With just vals and Anubias, Excel dosing seems to alter the Ph and water chemistry far less. I wish I could offer a better suggestion (and I like the look of the tank), but in the long run I would recommend setting up another tank to use the CO2 on and just having two seperated aquariums. I run into the same issues with my Sulawesi biotope tank and plants.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
Idrankwhat
Planted Member

I like the tank and I love the species you chose. Tanganyikans are probably some of the more challenging cichlids you can chose to keep but I've seen them flourishing in many variables. Keeping their pH stable is really important and keeping the nitrates in the tank below 20 mg/l is also vital as tanganyikans seems to be more sensitive to it than most freshwater fish. I think Vallisneria, Potamogeton (pondweed), Anubias, and Java fern may be your best bet as far as tolerance to the fishes requirements. I've seen my Transcriptus continue to breed at a pH as low as 7.7 but notice a change in their behavior if it dips lower. We see tanganyikans that are kept at constantly low pH having issues with weight gain and some (I think I saw Leptosoma in your tank) will distress and eventually die. In that sense the CO2 may create issues as it will keep your pH lower.
Other than the chemistry, your leleupis and the Caudopunctatus are the only real challenge to your aqua-scape I think. The leleupi are territorial and aggressive and will excavate more than your Leptosomas, who spend most of their time in the upper water column, and your red-top caudopunctatus who are sand dwellers and big excavators also are peaceful (somewhat) and may get bullied by the Leleupi.

Keep an eye on them but don't be afraid to make some adjustments if your initial plan doesn't work out. After all you're learning. Enjoy and keep us posted.
Idrankwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #14
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was under the impression that co2 affected PH, but not KH. With the inherit hard KH of my water, and the fish being more sensitive to KH than PH specifically, I didn't think I had much to worry about. I had read an article on the BAR report that had outlined that the PH drop with co2 didn't have much affect on the fish, as the KH stayed steady.

I haven't seen much stress or low activity from my fish, though I have noticed when I do dose Nitrates on the EI day, the punks aren't happy, so I quickly cut that out. The fish seem to be getting along decently, I am looking to build a 3rd tank to move the punks and 2 of the small featherfins out.

I have been having fun playing with the co2, and trying to get my PPM where I want it. I start at about 7.8-8.0 PH, and have been using the co2 to get it near 7.0 or so.

I must admit, noob mistake, I need a KH test kit.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #15
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just tested my PH...6.6 right now with the co2 on.

Going to pickup the KH test from a crappy local chain, and test it. Letting my sample sit in my room and will test PH on it tomorrow to see the PH gain.